Sober October

Options
MyWhole30Journey
MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
edited October 2015 in Motivation and Support
So, here we go again, another month to put forth an effort to stay sober. With each month winding down to the years end it will become more difficult for many of us but we're here to support one another. There is no judging here, just support. Glad you decided to join us.

For those of you who don't know me, I've been drinking a bottle of wine a night for about 30 years. Yikes! My husband is my drinking buddy and he drinks the same amount. In August we decided to give it up thinking that maybe someday down the road we'd be able to have a glass or 2 and stop at that. Well, I had 2 slip ups in the last 70 days. Both times I did not stop after a glass or 2 but consumed the whole bottle. As we age, I'm sure the damage from our poisoned livers will catch up with one or both of us. It has to stop now. So, here we go again. . .

Replies

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Woo! I'm in. Have only had one drink early in September :smiley: I'm on board for totally dry October.
  • Badunkadunk_Buster
    Badunkadunk_Buster Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ok, I would like to join you. It may not be easy, but I can do it!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'm in by default... Haven't had a sip of alcohol in about 2.5 years.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Day 34 AF for me. I'm scheduled for a wine tasting tour sometime in Oct so I'll have a blip but being AF for Sept really helped me feel better overall.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    That great,, all of you doing that. I am a drinker, staying a drinker. Love my wine!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    After being a nightly wine drinker (2-4 glasses a night), I started in dry July and felt great. I continued in August and September having only 2 slips in each month. I feel so much healthier. My skin and overall appearance look better, and I wake up refreshed every day! I am in for October for sure!
  • mandylouw
    mandylouw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking almost every night for years and decided to join you guys for October, I have got loads of herbal teas and fancy juices to get me off to a good start :)
  • TacoTina
    TacoTina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a friend of Bill W sober almost 2 years can I still join since I don't drink
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    @mandylou A lot of the MFP's here, myself included swear by Sparkling Water to get through the night :)
    @TacoTina Not sure who Bill W is but I'm sure he's happy to be considered your friend. Of course you're welcome to join us. Perhaps you can share your experience and how you were able to get it under control.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am in. I've been bad every weekend for the last 4 months! It is getting out of hand and I need some accountability!
  • TacoTina
    TacoTina Posts: 81 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @mandylou A lot of the MFP's here, myself included swear by Sparkling Water to get through the night :)
    @TacoTina Not sure who Bill W is but I'm sure he's happy to be considered your friend. Of course you're welcome to join us. Perhaps you can share your experience and how you were able to get it under control.
    Too funny Bill W is the guy who started AA for the world back in 1935. I had to quit or I was going to die, I was living in a black hole with No hope no lite at the end of my tunnel. Finding a Spiritual answer to my problems I have been sober and drug free for almost 2 years never felt so good . Now I'm on this health kick definitely a better obsession to have!
  • joolz879
    joolz879 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Count me in, 14 days done & want to continue
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Good luck this weekend, everyone! Weekends are the hardest!
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    TacoTina wrote: »
    Too funny Bill W is the guy who started AA for the world back in 1935. I had to quit or I was going to die, I was living in a black hole with No hope no lite at the end of my tunnel. Finding a Spiritual answer to my problems I have been sober and drug free for almost 2 years never felt so good . Now I'm on this health kick definitely a better obsession to have!

Definitely a better obsession to have :) Glad you did it!
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    So, here it is, Monday the 5th of October. Did everyone make it through the weekend sober? It's a little scary when you don't see any posts for a few days.
    I did well. Hope you all did too :)
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I made it! Made it through birthdays and a BBQ and feeling fantastic about that :smiley:
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Too late to join? Two weeks ago I decided to stop drinking while I train for a Tough Mudder on Nov. 8, still holding strong on that.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    PeiDub wrote: »
    Too late to join? Two weeks ago I decided to stop drinking while I train for a Tough Mudder on Nov. 8, still holding strong on that.

It's never too late!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stick to alcohol only on Friday and Saturday nights...
  • Badunkadunk_Buster
    Badunkadunk_Buster Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I did it! Yay! Hope everyone had a great weekend!