I'm HUNGRY!

Options
I am hungry all the time of late, especially the last 2 days and I don't know why! I haven't changed anything- or not much if so. Does anyone have a clue as to why? It's extreme, uncomfortable and annoying! I'm not doing any kind of fasting, or athlete- level exercise.
MFP has set my daily calorie goal at 1420, and I Always go over- even with the extra calories I 'earned' by exercise. I wake up in the night and eat- a lot! It IS a bad habit that started with just the urge to satisfy a craving. Now, though, I wake up in the night hungry. I get up and have a fairly healthy snack ( it used to be that I 'needed' sweets. Lately, though, I don't even want sugar- just regular food.
I have discovered in the past that the satisfied to full feeling doesn't kick in until much later (after its too late) This isn't the case now, though. I have waited an hour before, but Still have major hunger pangs. Last night I racked up 500 calories after midnight! I try to shoot for 200- 300 calories for a whole meal! I woke up and got up at x12a snacked (500 calories!), still hungry. Exercise consisted of a brisk walk 1800 calories for the day, but woke again at 3am with unending hunger !
Help!
Thanks

Replies

• scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Are you reaching a "familiar" weight that your body doesn't want to get past? It sounds like you are hitting a set point, a point when your body will fight weight loss. Have you tried increasing the amount of water you drink? You can also try eating slow digesting protein when you get these cravings, which should satiate you longer. If the feeling persists longer than a couple weeks, you may want to scrutinize your diet, past just calories, and see what you may be lacking. Just suggestions.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Could be hormones, and your appetite will return to normal in a few days.

Could also be your diet. What kinds of foods are you eating? I find my cravings and appetite are in better control when I:
    1) eat 80-100 grams of protein a day.
    2) Drink tons of water
    3) Never get any calories from drinks, only things I have to chew
    4) limit calorie dense foods, so I can eat greater volumes for less calories.
    5) keep myself active so I can eat more

How many pounds have you lost in the last month?
  • Marthy101
    Marthy101 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks! All great ideas! I know better (i. e. Protein, water, etc.) but I guess I've lost focus, motivation. Oh- and I'm lazy! I did actually write your list down! I have not lost Any weight in several months! Seriously. Used to average 1lb down a week, now I'm afraid of the scale. I did go down a size not too long ago, but that ain't going to happen again at the rate I'm going! Like getting up in the middle of the night to eat just now....
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Reduce carbs, increase healthy fats. All be good!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    PMS?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Are you now within normal BMI? You are very, very close to goal. Might you switch to maintenance?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Reduce carbs, increase healthy fats. All be good!
    Carbs can be great for making you feel full, especially if the fibre content is high in them.

It sounds more like a mental thing to me, with you actually waking up in the night and things. Are you stressing about something?
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear back from you Marthy. It's easy to lose focus, especially as you get closer to your goal weight, or if you haven't seen the scale move in a while.

Go back to your own profile page, and read your inspirations. Spend some time on the success threads and get motivated by all the people who have done it! Rededicate yourself to tighten your logging and eating in a way that is satiating to you, but also good for your body. Maybe switch your calorie goal to 1/2 pound a week and allow yourself those few extra calories so you don't feel like a failure every day when you log and see those calories in the red.

You've come so far - hang in there. You can do this!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I do best with hunger if my protein, carbohydrates and fats are fairly even calorie wise. I eat 3 meals at around 450 calories each. When I ate more smaller meals I was always hungry.