Vegetarian pre-run meals and snacks

Options
Hello!! I've been vegetarian for 21 years now, the past 3 of which I have been running a lot. From 10k to full marathons. One thing I have never nailed is a good pre-run meal/snack!

So - easy question! To all vegetarian runners, what is your favourite/most effective pre-run (or workout) meal??

:)

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Runner_Joe wrote: »
    Hello!! I've been vegetarian for 21 years now, the past 3 of which I have been running a lot. From 10k to full marathons. One thing I have never nailed is a good pre-run meal/snack!

So - easy question! To all vegetarian runners, what is your favourite/most effective pre-run (or workout) meal??

Cold, leftover, black coffee. Best pre-workout thing there is. Eating food before you run is sort of defeating the purpose of runs especially long runs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Cold, leftover, black coffee. Best pre-workout thing there is. Eating food before you run is sort of defeating the purpose of runs especially long runs.

I don't think I could do a long run (2+ hours) without eating anything at all besides coffee (others may be able to, I couldn't). I'm not sure how a pre-run snack defeats the purpose of a run.
  • Runner_Joe
    Runner_Joe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If I'm jogging 16+ miles I am 100% having a meal pre-run. I'm not talking 5 minutes before, I mean 2-3 hours before.
  • Runner_Joe
    Options
    I have heard of the coffee tactic before. Caffein boost etc... Just don't try it for the first time on race day! Could be disastrous
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

I don't think I could do a long run (2+ hours) without eating anything at all besides coffee (others may be able to, I couldn't). I'm not sure how a pre-run snack defeats the purpose of a run.

Just avoiding an insulin spike. The OP is wanting to eat 2-3 hours ahead so that's different, however I run first thing in the morning so this scenario never happens for me.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    If I'm jogging 16+ miles I am 100% having a meal pre-run. I'm not talking 5 minutes before, I mean 2-3 hours before.

I have had success with: bananas, toast with peanut butter, trail mix, V8, smoothies (lighter on the fiber if this will pose an issue for you), and tempeh bacon. On a longer run, I sometimes take a handful of dates. One date is about 100 calories and is a nice substitute for a Gu pack -- it's almost all sugar. And it's much less messy.

If you're looking for more meal-like options, I have had good results from pasta dishes (use your own past response to fat to determine how much you want to include) and rice/vegetables. If I'm having a longer run in the afternoon, I will often have this type of dish (or a sandwich) for lunch. Another option is a baked potato with a topping of chili or a creamy (nut-based for me, as I'm a vegan) sauce.

• _Waffle_
    Options

I have had success with: bananas, toast with peanut butter, trail mix, V8, smoothies (lighter on the fiber if this will pose an issue for you), and tempeh bacon. On a longer run, I sometimes take a handful of dates. One date is about 100 calories and is a nice substitute for a Gu pack -- it's almost all sugar. And it's much less messy.

If you're looking for more meal-like options, I have had good results from pasta dishes (use your own past response to fat to determine how much you want to include) and rice/vegetables. If I'm having a longer run in the afternoon, I will often have this type of dish (or a sandwich) for lunch. Another option is a baked potato with a topping of chili or a creamy (nut-based for me, as I'm a vegan) sauce.

I had fettuccine alfredo the night before a race. Worst idea ever. I can have all the caffeine in the world but avoiding fatty foods is a must for me.
  • Runner_Joe
    Options
    I have tried peanut butter toast the morning of a 10k/half quite a few times. It fills a hole but it does repeat on me a little. Even if I eat 3 hours before. Might try dates for the longer runs next time. Hate the hassle of opening gels whilst running! :)
  • Runner_Joe
    Options
    Might also have to finally try the coffee!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    My go-to pre-run breakfast is two slices of toast with jam and about 6oz Gatorade. About 30 mins before running. Then if it's a long run I take an energy gel about every 5 miles along the way. It took me forever to find a good pre-run meal because I have a sensitive stomach. This is what works for me! :)
  • Runner_Joe
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    My go-to pre-run breakfast is two slices of toast with jam and about 6oz Gatorade. About 30 mins before running. Then if it's a long run I take an energy gel about every 5 miles along the way. It took me forever to find a good pre-run meal because I have a sensitive stomach. This is what works for me! :)

Food just seems to sit on my stomach forever. This sounds pretty light so will give it a go in coming weeks! Thanks :)
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm a morning runner, so for anything under 10 miles, I just eat a banana and call it good. For longer runs, I like to add in nut butters and bread or homemade Lara bars. There are tons of recipes online, you can customize them to your liking. Dates, cashews, coconut oil, dried fruit, etc. You can even throw in some protein powder if you like.
  • Runner_Joe
    Options
    Great! Thank you! I have had a look online, but thought I would see people's personal preference :) got a few different things to try now :) I can't say I know what Lara bars are though... Are they an American thing? (I'm English
  • bakerjoya
    bakerjoya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like a lite cheddar cheese stick (trader joes) or half a banana and a tbsp of almond butter
  • bakerjoya
    bakerjoya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    And green tea
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Great! Thank you! I have had a look online, but thought I would see people's personal preference :) got a few different things to try now :) I can't say I know what Lara bars are though... Are they an American thing? (I'm English

Lara bars are a combination of dates and nuts with other fruits for flavoring. I'm not sure if there is an English equivalent. You could get the same result by blending dates with nuts in a food processor (I've done this before).
  • RCnFinntastic
    RCnFinntastic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I usually have oatmeal before a long run, sometimes a hard boiled egg too depending on length of run (am veg but not vegan). Also coffee... I'm not a coffee drinker so a half cup is a nice caffeine slap as well as system cleaner before I head out :)
    Sometimes if i've been up early for breakfast and travel to a race i'll take some whole wheat toast (or english muffin) and pb sandwich for a pre race snack.
    I also take larabars for mid run snacks. as mentioned they're just dates/nuts/fruit - larabar is a brand it's available in Canada too.... not sure about UK.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm only getting back into running but I do remember when I was serious about it I would try to keep my pre run diet vegan as I'd get heartburn otherwise.

Chia seeds. Soak a load, I use a heaped spoonful, in water about an hour. It goes like gel. Its tasteless, easy to consume and digest and I tend to have them about 30-60 minutes before a race. I also tend to drink coconut water on my way to a start line, during a long run.

A post run smoothie I like, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work prerun, is almond milk, banana and about 3 dates in a blender.
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Might also have to finally try the coffee!

If you try coffee add honey to it. It takes longer to metabolize than sugar and will last longer throughout your run.