Trouble with snacking

Options
So I have been trying to keep better track of my diary to figure out what I'm doing wrong and how I can make myself better. I've discovered that one of my problems is snacking! I started a new job about a month and a half ago, and it's going great, but there is constantly food around. Donuts, someone bringing in baked goods, bagged snacks leftover from meetings, you name it. I am trying to resist temptation and know my limits, but it can be hard when everyone else is chowing down at 9 a.m. And oddly, our office does not have tons of overweight people; most are average sized I'm guessing. They are just a very social group, and part of the way they bond involves food. I'm not going to try to change this or complain, though. I know I can just decline and no one really gives me an issue.

But my other snacking problem comes between meals. Sometimes I feel hungry before dinner and am tempted to snack on a little something while waiting for everything to finish cooking. I know the calories still count and that it can mess up an otherwise decent day.

I really do not want to sabotage myself. I guess that part of my issue is that I can't know exactly how many calories are in the brownies a coworker bakes, for example, unless I'm going to ask for their recipe/ingredient list. If I guess wrong, it could throw off my diary.

What do you guys do to control your snacking? Are there certain types of food that make you feel fuller than others? And what is some good advice if you don't know exactly how many calories are in a snack?

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I pre-log everything the night before. It helps keep me honest through the day, and if I'm really hungry for an extra snack, then I have to do something to earn those calories. ;)
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    So I have been trying to keep better track of my diary to figure out what I'm doing wrong and how I can make myself better. I've discovered that one of my problems is snacking! I started a new job about a month and a half ago, and it's going great, but there is constantly food around. Donuts, someone bringing in baked goods, bagged snacks leftover from meetings, you name it. I am trying to resist temptation and know my limits, but it can be hard when everyone else is chowing down at 9 a.m. And oddly, our office does not have tons of overweight people; most are average sized I'm guessing. They are just a very social group, and part of the way they bond involves food. I'm not going to try to change this or complain, though. I know I can just decline and no one really gives me an issue.

But my other snacking problem comes between meals. Sometimes I feel hungry before dinner and am tempted to snack on a little something while waiting for everything to finish cooking. I know the calories still count and that it can mess up an otherwise decent day.

I really do not want to sabotage myself. I guess that part of my issue is that I can't know exactly how many calories are in the brownies a coworker bakes, for example, unless I'm going to ask for their recipe/ingredient list. If I guess wrong, it could throw off my diary.

What do you guys do to control your snacking? Are there certain types of food that make you feel fuller than others? And what is some good advice if you don't know exactly how many calories are in a snack?

You said it best, you can say no. If they offer food at 9, then eat your breakfast before then so that you aren't hungry.

There really is no way to tell how many calories is in something. If you are tempted, maybe strike up a conversation with the person that made it and ask how they made it or if it has 'x' ingredient. It might help you decide. another reason to not indulge...

I think a lot of people get hungry for a mid-afternoon snack. Figure out if you are hungry or just want to crunch on something. I'll pack a cracker (goldfish / cheese it) if I want mindless (but controlled) snacking, a fruit (like banana) + cheese or peanut butter or easier, a protein bar. It will keep you full until dinner.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, some foods fill me up more than others. Fruits and, even more, veggies are very filling. Everyone has different things that help them stay full. Pay attention to how you feel and what you've eaten and you'll learn a lot about your body.

I just skip donuts, cake and brownies. If someone offered, I'd just decline, like you do. It's not even hard anymore. I don't want them.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    To help with snacking while cooking (something I was really bad for in the past) - I've found that making sure I eat a small snack around 3:30 - 4 will curb my hunger before dinner. I'm hungry for dinner, sure, but I'm not so hungry that the crackers/chips/snacks in the cupboards start calling my name.

As far as the baked goods go, I have a similar problem at my office. I've been known to say no, but most of the time I will take one. However, sometimes I'll take a piece, cut it in half, and wrap the rest in tissue and throw it away (discreetly). Then I'll search a generic homemade entry and over-guesstimate the portion I had. Sometimes I really just want a taste, and a lot of times it's not tasty enough to be worth eating the whole thing anyway.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Maybe a Greek yogurt,serving of cottage cheese or hard boiled egg.All around 100 calories with protein,to take the edge off.
    As for eating at work,most people can't lose weight by eating extras.It's important to keep track of all food intake.Good luck.
  • Jesusisalltheworldtome
    Options
    I have trouble with snacking. I actually do pretty well during the day. When evening comes, Look Out!