Huge Binge Last Night

Options
Hi all... I do not binge nearly as much as I did in my 30's and 40's, but I had a big setback last night. About six of those little sandwich cracker packages (six packages, not six crackers) and about ten slices of cheddar cheese, all washed down with three beers.

My reasons/explanations: I am going through a divorce, and my wife and I have had a lot of misunderstandings/miscommunications about the reasons for our divorce. So I wrote her an email yesterday calmly explaining my view points. Maybe I am nervous about her response or non-response?

The second thing... I feel a lot of guilt about something I did that was very unlike me. I forged someone's name on a piece of paper. It was an inconsequential matter, pretty much a victimless crime. They had signed in one place but forgot to sign in the other place.

Well, today is a new day and with your support I will have a great eating and emotional day.

Thanks for listening!

Rich

Replies

• preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yep, today is a brand new day! Good luck.
  • rnohou2010
    rnohou2010 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks, JAY!!!
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    rnohou2010 wrote: »
    Hi all... I do not binge nearly as much as I did in my 30's and 40's, but I had a big setback last night. About six of those little sandwich cracker packages (six packages, not six crackers) and about ten slices of cheddar cheese, all washed down with three beers.

My reasons/explanations: I am going through a divorce, and my wife and I have had a lot of misunderstandings/miscommunications about the reasons for our divorce. So I wrote her an email yesterday calmly explaining my view points. Maybe I am nervous about her response or non-response?

The second thing... I feel a lot of guilt about something I did that was very unlike me. I forged someone's name on a piece of paper. It was an inconsequential matter, pretty much a victimless crime. They had signed in one place but forgot to sign in the other place.

Well, today is a new day and with your support I will have a great eating and emotional day.

Thanks for listening!

Rich

It happens. I've had a few nights of too many drinks and too much food (they go hand in hand, after all) since I found out my wife was cheating. Just don't make it a habit, and you'll be fine. Log it all, marvel at how many calories are in those cracker packs, and move on. :)
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Brand new day! But stop with the forging stuff.
  • Badunkadunk_Buster
    Badunkadunk_Buster Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Rich, first I'm sorry to hear of your current struggles. I'm an emotional eater and have had many of those kind of nights. It's important that you've recognized it, and now you have to forgive yourself. Speaking out about how you are feeling to your wife is tough, but you can't control her response to it. Focus on you today. Don't let it get you down. Good luck to you!
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your divorce. That's really tough. Hang in there. We all do things we reflect on that are 'unlike us'. I know I did recently. At least you recognized the need to correct some actions. Today and moving forward you can plan to make better decisions.
  • rnohou2010
    rnohou2010 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks, wonderful people! I am new to these boards and the support I am getting is phenomenal! I have started to support others in their struggles, too.
  • lauli22
    lauli22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    rnohou2010 wrote: »
    Thanks, wonderful people! I am new to these boards and the support I am getting is phenomenal! I have started to support others in their struggles, too.
    You really sounds sweet!
    I am sorry for your situation with your wife, but don't worry, new day: fresh start! Don't let the surrounding affect your health (mental, physical, emotional), find new hobbies, go for little excursions (hope you live in a warm place), join associations that organise things to do together, go back doing activities you gave up in the past for one reason or another (guitar? Learning German? Baking? ). Visualize this moment of your life as a re-discover of yourself, leave out short term food consolation, and when that happen don't let it let you down
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just keep swimming. Don't beat yourself up, and get right back on the wagon. In the big scheme of weight loss not much damage is done, but it can really mess with your head turning one bad day into two into three...etc. Hang in there.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. This is a tough time for you and there will be days, that you have to just "carry water and chop wood" so to speak. Good luck!
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, only 6 cracker packs, 10 slices of cheddar and 3 beers? Don't sweat the small stuff, forgive yourself and move on. Minor setback, keep looking forward, forget about that rear view mirror. You're back on track, you got this!
  • janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself. We all have moments of weakness. Look ahead!
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I lost a good friend/colleague yesterday unexpectedly and granny sent a "sorry for your loss" basket: chocolate cake with cream cheese icing, home-made sugar cookies and since she knows I'm watching what I eat, diet Mt Dew lol. Needless to say there's nothing left... but I got up this morning and had dropped 2 lbs overnight from the carb load. It's all logged, and today has been better. It happens.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with binges too, and it's really helpful just to log everything. Then it's easier to forget and move on, it doesn't bug me after logging.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It's good that you identified the points of conflict/ stress that put you in a vulnerable place. Sometimes, that's the hardest part. Knowing your triggers can help you avoid them in the future--or if you can't avoid them, you can prepare yourself to deal with them in another way than eating.

Learn what you can from the experience, cut yourself some slack, and move on!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Everyone has 'those' days. You wouldn't be human if you didn't. As others have said, log it and move on.... give yourself permission for doing it. It's okay. And one day of that won't make a bit of difference in your weight!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    farmerpam1 wrote: »
    Sheesh, only 6 cracker packs, 10 slices of cheddar and 3 beers? Don't sweat the small stuff, forgive yourself and move on. Minor setback, keep looking forward, forget about that rear view mirror. You're back on track, you got this!

in my book that is just a large snack. I have eaten amounts on a binge that would make you faint!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, start all over again. Maybe not so bad. How/what is/are your weekly caloire total/average like? You may find that, on a weekly basis, you're not so far off. Either way, you can't go back, only forward.

Go forth and sin no more ;-)
    A stumble isn't the end, unless you allow it to be.
  • OutdoorCamoGirl
    OutdoorCamoGirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is a VERY honest response..... since you're going through a divorce, this won't be the only time that you binge like that. Food seems like comfort. I'm not sure how long you were married or why you guys are getting divorced, but divorce messes with your head, which in turn messes with your emotions. Trust me, I know :( Their will be a lot of "healing" in your near future that will affect many aspects of your life. And then when you think you're almost ready to emerge into the world of dating, you'll be awakened by the reality that it's not like it used to be. No one will be able to tell you what to think or how to feel. just always be honest with yourself, no matter what. Healing takes time, but you will get there... one minute, one hour, one day, one meal at a time.

Now with that being said...
    You've identified your binging, so do some thinking now, some strategies, come up with a plan should it happen again. The first strategy is that you came here (which is great, you can always come here and will support you and help you to get back on track), but it was after the fact. Try to implement something before it happens, such as..... make sure to keep "healthy" snacks on hand such as fresh veggies. Some raw veggies with a little light dressing to munch on will do wonders, or when the urge comes on, pick up a journal and write some things down about how you're feeling RIGHT THEN and be honest in what you write. When you see all that written down and give yourself time to process it, the original "binging" feeling will have most likely passed. Also, you could go for a walk, get out of the house for a little bit, get away from the binging environment. Whatever you do, DON'T sit in front of the television at that moment. That will only set you up for possible failure as it gives your mind time to wander and think about things that will only drive you deeper at that moment. Also, with all the food commercials nowadays, it only adds to the desire of food, which seems comforting. You may not be a bath kind of man, but running a warm bath and soaking for about 20 minutes or so will relax you and possibly take away some of that stress that you're feeling at that exact moment. Basically do anything that will give just enough time to let that binge feeling pass.

Those are just a few ideas.... and please know that my prayers are with you, for strength and guidance through what the future may bring.
    Stay strong!