losing 20lbs in a month and a half

Options
New to my fitness pal.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Given that you don't have a lot of weight to lose, losing 20lb in 6 weeks is not likely doable or healthy as you would need to significantly under eat.

Aim to lose 1lb per week, it is more sustainable and doable without setting yourself up for failure.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Given that you don't have a lot of weight to lose, losing 20lb in 6 weeks is not likely doable or healthy as you would need to significantly under eat.

Aim to lose 1lb per week, it is more sustainable and doable without setting yourself up for failure.

This! :)

You want to this safely and successfully so having a realistic goal is important. 20 lb is a very large amount to lose in 6 weeks, go easy on yourself. There's no rush and this is no race. Good luck.
  • Jessyd76
    Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    2 options OP...

Option 1- You probably can lose 20 lbs in 6 weeks. But keep in mind that you won't be doing it in a healthy way. Based on most people's experiences on here - mine included - you will have a high likelihood of gaining it back - plus more, losing lean muscle, and just dropping water weight. So yes, you can do it - but you aren't setting yourself up to lose fat, keep it off, maintain your health, and learn how to make it a lifestyle rather than becoming a yo-yo dieter.

Option 2- What @tiptoethruthetulips and @PinkPixiexox and all the long term successful folks on this site will tell you... learn healthy lifestyle habits, set a healthy weight loss goal of 1 lb per week. Make this a lifestyle so that you don't need to be back on here in a year trying to lose 30 lbs.

I'm a little older than you ladies (almost 40) and I wish I had learned when I was younger that quick weight loss is not long term sustaining weight loss. Then I wouldn't *still* be trying to lose weight and get healthy at 40... I'd already be there. For reference I've bounced from a size 4 to a size 18 several times, wish I could have done it once - the right way.

You'll find support on here regardless what you decide to do. Just know that the folks on here are trying to share their experiences with you. Me personally, I listen to the folks who have dropped the weight and kept it off for several years - they clearly figured out the 'formula'. Good luck - whatever approach you decide to take! :)
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I could swear we just did this thread...?
  • Jessyd76
    Options

I think it was yesterday. :) I just sat by and read. It was amusing. I chimed in on this one, but doubt I will in the future. :)
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Yep, https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10256624/im-going-to-lose-20-pounds-in-40-days#latest

Any bets on how long it lasts?
  • Jessyd76
    Options
    I'll put $20 on a week after folks do the calculations and realize that they can only eat like 600 calories a day (or something in that neighborhood) to hit that timeline.
  • wildsilver91168
    wildsilver91168 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I need to loose about 25 to 30 lbs fast myself
  • NikkiBiggestFan
    NikkiBiggestFan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's doable. I lost 13lbs in 3 days drinking water and the Hollywood diet drink. Look at me now though. Gained that back and still have 50lbs to lose. Moral of the story...forget about fast, unsubstainable weight loss and go for a more realistic goal. That way you have a change of losing the weight and keeping it off for good.
  • JullesBurn
    JullesBurn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's doable. I lost 13lbs in 3 days drinking water and the Hollywood diet drink. Look at me now though. Gained that back and still have 50lbs to lose. Moral of the story...forget about fast, unsubstainable weight loss and go for a more realistic goal. That way you have a change of losing the weight and keeping it off for good.

This!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options

X2
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

+1