Low carb

hi all, I've been on MFP for a while now. Nothing seems to work as well as eating low carb for me. I have always been thin, then about 20 years ago I was about 30lbs overweight. I lost it all 10 years ago, but I've gained 20lbs back Wanted to get your feedback on Atkins. I've been following the original (1972 version) Atkins for 5 days and have lost 3lbs already. Tracking the food/carbs really helps.

Replies

• witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Atkins is basically what they put on everyone who has had weight loss surgery too boost their weight loss. So it's great.
  • In low carb diet you lose more of water weight, the progress is fast in first two weeks. Then your body starts to turn fats into energy and to lose 1 pound of fats you need to go 3000 undercalories, so if you go 300 undercalories everyday it whould take around 10 days to lose 1 pound of fats.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    It really all boils down to calories in and out. If you are in a deficit you will lose weight. If Eating lower carbs works well for you use it. I try to balance my protein 44%, carbs 36% and fat 20%.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    You will lose water weight quickly. Is it sustainable for you? Can you do this the rest of your life? I tried it, I lost weight and gained it back pretty quicly as soon as I started eating grains again. Why? because I did not learn how to eat appropriate portions.(and because I didn't want to live life without these things)
    Now I eat whatever I want but stay within my calorie goal. I enjoy rice, breads, couscous, But I weigh it out and make it fit into my daily calories.
    Any "diet" that cuts out entire food groups probably wont work long term.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited October 2015
    A lot of people find it works for them as a way of reducing there calories. There is a low carb group, I'll try find you the link.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105163-low-carber-daily-activity-trackers

Found it, good luck
  • BradCzumo
    BradCzumo Posts: 15 Member
    You are able to exchange foods for others. If youre trying to work with a low carb diet, its easy to work with healthy fats to regain the energy you need. IE. Avocados. and alot of people dont like avocados by themselves, so put some of that franks hot sauce on it.... The healthy fats will keep you energized with low carb intake, this is what i do pre and post workout when im on a really low carb cycle, and it works. Been working with this now for over a year, and iv maintained weight, all while losing 2% bodyfat from 10-8. Its been a long work day so math is rough but thats approx 4lbs of fat lost while putting on muscle. Agreed with @farfromthetree . cutting out full groups is silly

All summed up, eat some avocados instead of your carbs :)