Plus size Yoga

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in trying out yoga and pilates but being plus size, i'm not sure that I'm capable of it. I'm wondering if any of you (who are currently or were once plus size) have tried it. If so, do you have any guidance, recommendations, or thoughts that you're willing to share on the matter? If you have tried it, how far into your weightloss journey did you try to incorporate it? Also, what were the biggest benefits from doing it?

Thanks!

Replies

• leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to do it. I do both, and I'm still large guy (6'2", 259). You may struggle with some of the poses in yoga, but who cares? You'll get there eventually.

Neither are big calorie burners, but they're great for strengthening your core, which is just as important.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I did yoga when I was plus size and I see plus size people in my yoga class. Just because your plus size doesn't mean you are not flexable and yoga helps you in so many ways that size doesn't mater. It is low impact so you aren't bouncing up and and down on your joints. It is actually a great way to exercise for beginers as each pose can be modified to your capability.

Biggest benefits is it uses body weight as strength training and also streaches out your muscles. It has helped me a lot with my balance. It isn't the biggest calorie burn but neither is normal (low intensity) strength training.
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Anyone can do yoga and if you go to a class (as opposed to using a video) instructors are always great about helping you find modifications for poses if you need. I'm not plus size, but I'm not all that flexible and have needed to modify some poses now and again. I would say to go for it, find a gentler class to start with and you'll probably find that you love it and that size and flexibility don't matter in the world of yoga. All that matters is that you get out there and give it a try. I hope this helps! Good luck on your journey!! :) You can do it!
  • tafaye
    tafaye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been doing yoga on and off for years. You can totally do it. There may be a few poses that may be uncomfortable do to your size, but keep with it and you will be able to get into the poses better and deeper. It's great to do when your muscles are sore and gives a longer leaner look to your muscles and they build and get stronger. It's great to add into your cardio/strength training routine. A good dvd is the giam yoga for weight loss, they modify everything and it's a great pace for a beginner.

Good Luck!
  • Tkbarnes
    Tkbarnes Posts: 14
    Options
    Im plus size and i do yoga 3 times a week , Its good for strength and posture , i love to go to my yoga classes, Give it a try its hard at frist bit you will get use to it , GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I started yoga at about 210 lbs. I did a beginner's class though because a lot of my weight is in my abdomen and I found some of the poses difficult to do. In particular, my wrists weren't strong enough to support my body weight. But I did notice that the more I did yoga, the easier it became especially if you're simultaneously losing weight. I do yoga for stress relief and increased blood circulation. It is helpful in improving natural fertility.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I did yoga at my heaviest (230 lbs) and I was ok, just need to adapt some poses sometimes if "things get in the way". I have a coworker doing yoga with me and he his "rounder" than I am, he struggles a bit, but found ways to adapt to his body restrictions.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying yoga as well! There are classes at my gym which are free, so I think it's definitely worth it! I always see bigger people in there and they are keeping up with the smaller ones!!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add that if you're thinking of joining a class, you may find it helpful to join a community sponsored class or beginner's class rather than join at a big center that specializes only in yoga. I find that the instructors at big yoga places are hardcore about getting you into the right positions and they'll actually walk around and push you into positions that are uncomfortable or may hurt. I got hurt once from someone pushing me all the way into a position my body wasn't ready for. Yoga should be about what's comfortable for you, and not always getting into the position perfectly. Only you know your body's limits, so I would suggest talking to the instructor first and letting them know you'd prefer not to be handled so you can avoid injury.
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your responses to my question. I just found a local studio that offers beginner's yoga and pilates so I'm going to check it out. Hopefully, I'll make it through the class! :smile: