Challenge (Not Weight-Related)

Options
ket_the_jet
ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
So I have decided that I am going to try the ten-day challenge starting tomorrow. For the next ten days, I will not spend a single penny.

I have already added up the amount I've spent in the past nine days (rent and car payment not included) and at the end of these ten days, I will transfer that amount from my checking to my savings account.

Anyone care to join me?
-wtk

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    Options
    Potential Pratfalls:

Gas Purchases: I work about 22 miles from where I live. There are eight work days in these ten days. That's about 360 miles. I can probably get 320 or so out of a tank. Might have to see about carpooling one or two days.

Thursday, June 16: I am going to a Leo Kottke concert. I got the tickets for my Dad's birthday a while ago. As I am taking him and as it is a celebration of his birthday, I feel somewhat obligated to buy some drinks. We'll see how I treat that one.

Things I can do over these ten days:

I am blessed to live in the DC Metropolitan area. I do have a Metro card with about $30 or so still on there. So I'm going to not count that towards my spending. That means a lot of free museums. The problem will be not getting an overpriced cocktail afterwards.

I still haven't watched Mad Men and I do have that on BluRay. So that's a good way to get over not going to the bar on a Thursday night or something like that.

Volunteer work. Let's see if I can find some great volunteering opportunity in the Fairfax area. Again, can't drive too much so that will make things interesting.

I will probably spend more time exercising, reading, and playing guitar. "Me" stuff.
    -wtk
  • Kazimira
    Kazimira Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge and will need to think how to work it in my schedule. I also have a decent commute to work and no option to carpool, so either I don't count gas purchase or I can't start it till I fill my tank.
    Hmmmm, going to think on it a bit.
    Thanks for the great idea!
  • tigerrohr1969
    Options
    for volunteer ideas...just to let you know you can do volunteer work at your closest AA meeting...it might cost you a buck, but still cheaper than a cocktail, and you would save on gas....lol...just kidding
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    sure ill join. :) but i dont really spend money... but D: i have to give my next paycheck straight to the gym

but sure, no morning starbucks (ice green tea just plain)
    nor buy things during lunch. (a drink or snacks)
    just what i have from home. :) i can do that :D
    for 10 days :D
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    either I don't count gas purchase or I can't start it till I fill my tank.
    Fill up your tank tonight.

@fabiolaenvy: Good for you. I consider myself fiscally-conscious but have spent a lot more money in the past few months with having to update wardrobes and the like.
    -wtk
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    I'm almost embarrassed to say that I spent $200 on groceries tonight. Granted, it should last me much more than ten days, but still though...Jesus.

If I were to eat through it all at three meals over ten days, it would average out to $6.66/meal. Considering that right now I am averaging roughly $3.50 to $4 every breakfast, $10 to $15 every lunch, a various amount every dinner (usually much less than lunch), and $15 or so for drinks over the course of the week (usually piled into three or four nights...) it looks like I'll still be saving in the long run.

It will be tough to pack lunches for work. The idea is so foreign to me and I can't stand being in the office all day.
    -wtk
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    So...two days down. No big deal, right? A quiet Thursday evening...I can do that right?

Let's see how the weekend fares.
    -wtk
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    So, will u be frequenting the "cougar bars".... you know, so you don't have to buy your own drinks. You can look at it as being frugal :wink: :wink: