I need your tips please

Options
Ok first let me start by saying I know this is a lifestyle change and I AM changing my lifestyle. I know that it takes time and effort and persistence. With that being said I would like to know all of your weight loss tips. I'm not talking like, "watch your calorie intake", "drink water", "exercise", things that we all know. I'm talking like the "drink warm lemon water in the morning" or "eat proteins & carbs together" or "the best exercises to burn calories". Those types of tips. Ones that have worked for you and that your swear by or ones that you've heard work. I'm just curious if there is anything else (safe) that might help me on this journey. Thanks a ton!!

Replies

• WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Hiking is a great work out! And hiking can be as challenging as where you choose to hike. My fiance loves to disc golf. I never cared for the sport and didn't even like going with him because it bored me. Well, I learned that just by walking the parks with him is hiking as long as I keep myself moving. A 45 minute hike can burn upwards of 500 calories, and it really doesn't even feel all taxing!
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to other people. Find out what works for YOU.

Ha ha. If that isn't a contradiction I don't know what is. The point is try different things but remember what works for one may not work for another. I am not sure I have any exercises to offer, I pretty much do cardio (eliptical) and weights and that is it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Circuit training. It's made a HUGE difference in how I look. I was just doing cardio, cardio, cardio - switched to circuit training and WOW -- I'm shocked at how much I've changed in the 6 weeks I've been doing it. :) Also, switch up your routine. I was such a stick in the mud for so long - once I started switching stuff up... I saw the best results.
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    Spin classes have been my saving grace! I do dance classes, yoga and weight lifting, but my calorie burn and weight loss has been in Spin
  • missishy
    missishy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi NikkieJ17--

I've found that the quickest way to burn calories is by doing circit training (interval) workouts. For example; Alternate one minute of high speed (3.5 to 5 mph on a treadmill) at moderate resistance (an incline of 3 -5) with one minute of low speed (2.5 mph) at low resistance (incline of 1 or 2). Repeat set three times. Six minutes. Alternating between cardio and strength moves also helps to keep the body burnning calories longer. Check out this workout for a test run! Good luck in your weight loss journey!

Missishy

Warm-up: Walk/Light Jog/Elliptical 5 Minutes.
    Circuit work 1: Alternate 10 reps each of 2 strength-training moves (choose from walking lunges, bent-over dumb bell rows, squat to press, plank, hanging leg lifts and back extensions) with one minute of moderate cardio; repeat three times. Alternate one minute of cardio with another two exercises; repeat three times. Alternate one minute of cardio with last two exercises; repeat three times. Beginners use 5 – 10 pound weights; veterans, 15-20 pounds 18 minutes.
    Or:
    Circuit work 2: Alternate 10 reps each of 2 strength-training moves (choose from Squat jumps, pushups, sit-ups, wide-grip lat pull downs, side bridges, side bridges and crunches on the fitness ball.) with one minute of moderate cardio; repeat three times. Alternate one minute of cardio with another two exercises; repeat three times. Alternate one minute of cardio with last two exercises; repeat three times. Beginners use 5 – 10 pound weights; veterans, 15-20 pounds 18 minutes.
    Intense Cardio: Alternate one minute of high speed (3.5 to 5 mph on a treadmill) at moderate resistance (an incline of 3 -5) with one minute of low speed (2.5 mph) at low resistance (incline of 1 or 2). Repeat set three times. Six minutes.
    Cool down: Low speed walk. one minute
  • nmp1994
    nmp1994 Posts: 96
    Options
    My trainer says to eat every 2-3 hours!
    Lots of lean protein with colorful veggies & fruit.

I agree with circut training and shaking things up every once in awhile!

GOOD LUCK
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Fiber helps flll you up! Takes longer to digest too. This keeps you from starving and always wanting to eat. I also eat lots of small meals/snacks throughout the day. Just try to have healthy ones, and cut back on proportions. You can do it!!!
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Those are all great!! Thanks! Any food related tips??? Like "eat this, not that" or food that burns more calories; drinks, etc.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    ANY kettelbell workout its a combination of aerobics with a hand held weight in you hand the entire time, swear to god you will see fast results.
  • hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Find low calorie meals that satisfy you and put those into your routine. That way you have a meal plan for your normal routine--then you just have to really watch what you're eating when you break your routine.

For example, every single day I have a bowl of cereal with nonfat milk and a hard boiled egg white (175 calories). Almost every day lately I'll eat a sandwich on a Thomas' bagel thin and a pickle. It amounts to between 200 and 240 calories and I'll feel really full. Then I'll have 1000 calories left for dinner (as long as I workout or go for a long walk...if I have a heavy workout I'll have even more). Other days I'll have a lean cuisine and a salad (about 400 calories) and eat a smaller dinner.

When I'm not in my routine it gets a little tougher, but MFP's database is so extensive that, with a little effort, even if I'm eating out for lunch and dinner, I'll still end up under my calorie goal.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have found that FOR ME, I need protien in the morning in order to stay full all day. If I eat oatmeal (like today) then it seems to throw my body off and I am trying for the rest of the day to feel full. If I start out with a couple eggs and some type of meat then I am good with small meals for the rest of the day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Zumba has worked faster than anything else for me. I haven't tried a lot of the newer exercises though. No Jillian Michael or P90X or Beach Body or any of those. But I've tried most of the "old school" stuff (step aerobics, dance aerobics, walking, running, machines of all types, wii Fit, Tai Bo, Jane Fonda, Denise Austin, Bodies in Motion, etc.). But with Zumba the weight just fell off and after almost 7 months I still look forward to it, and it still makes me sweat like you would not believe.

For eating, I stick the the tried and true rule of as little saturated fat, sugar and white bread/pasta/etc. as possible. I only buy whole grains and eat them out whenever I can find them. Or avoid breads and pastas altogether when I'm out (just get a veggie and a meat/fish). I've been doing this for years and it's kept my cholesterol and BP healthy, but my waistline only follows suit with exercise because I don't do portion control very well.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Those are all great!! Thanks! Any food related tips??? Like "eat this, not that" or food that burns more calories; drinks, etc.

What works for me is to stick to a low sodium diet and I try to eat 2 servings of lo-fat yogurt per day. I've heard that eating lo-fat dairy products helps to lose weight faster?? I don't know the scientific facts behind that theory, but I think it's helped in my case!!

I also count calories using MFP and I either walk 30-50 min a day or I ride my bike.

I have my goals set to lose 1 pound a week and I'm allowed approx 1800 calories per day. I can honestly say I've never felt like I was starving, in order to meet my goals each day.

I do try and watch my carb intake - those "white carbs" from bread, rice & potatoes. I haven't totally eliminated carbs - but I monitor them!!!

So in a nutshell, I'm a firm believer in the low sodium diet for weight loss and it's helped me lose 52 pounds since Nov. 2010.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Run! Oh and do some form of strength training. It not only helps with weight loss, but improves overall fitness.