Trying to lose 100 lbs

Hi, my name is Fred, I am 54 and trying to lose,100 lbs. I started about 45 days ago and have lost 34 lbs to date. I am doing low carb and walking about 4 times a week. Have slowly got my distance up to 3.5 miles in about an hour, a little over 18 min mile. I could sure use any input anyone has. I started losing weight fairly quickly but now it is has been only a lb in 8 days! Do not want to get discoursged. Started at 316# trying to get to 215, I am 6'2". Any suggestions?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Welcome to MFP. Awesome start, WTG. You don't WANT to lose that quickly, as you'll lose much needed muscle mass. A pound a week is fantastic.
  • falcon1960ft
    falcon1960ft Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks for the response, I am considering starting doing wright's in conjunction with the walking, good idea or not?
  • falcon1960ft
    Weights not wrights
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited October 2015
    I like doing strength training in addition to weight loss (I am about 37 lb lost out of 145 total). It does increase muscle mass so I can keep my calories higher and still lose aggressively, and it's nice to be stronger and more fit.

I do walk a lot, but I don't really count that - that's something I do for pleasure. For training, I do a combination of strength training and HIIT. The HIIT has done a lot to help my heart, and I got a lot of quick gains on the strength training too, although they are slowing a bit now. I don't care about being a weight lifter but I'd like to be nice and fit. For me the weight loss isn't just about body image (though of course that's part of it) but also a longing for the kinds of things I'm not fit enough to do.

My general strength training tips (I'm not an expert at all, just some ideas I use):
    1. I do a whole-body workout 3x per week. Never more - you build muscle in between weight sessions, not during them. The point of the session is to stress the muscle so it has to recover and surpass its previous strength. If you don't let the recovery happen, the growth doesn't happen.
    2. I keep it to about 10-12 exercises to target as many muscles as I can.
    3. Days off are days off - no strenuous exercise, although I take walks, which doesn't really count as strenuous for me anymore.
    4. I do strength training before HIIT, never the reverse. HIIT wipes you out too much to do something else after.
  • CatharineRhodes
    CatharineRhodes Posts: 2 Member
    Hi I'm Kate I'm trying to lose like 100 lbs. I'm not sure what else to say. I'm hoping to make friends who can help keep me motivated thanks :)
  • falcon1960ft
    Thanks rankinsect, I have read about the high intensity and plan on trying to impliment it as soon as I feel I can, the weight lifting is mostly for toning so the muscle will burn more fat. I don't want to build at this point. Thanks for the advice it is very much appreciated
  • falcon1960ft
    Kate, I will help you all I can. It is not easy but it is very doable if you take your time and celebrate every victory!
  • courtneycreacy13
    courtneycreacy13 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I'm Courtney, I'm trying to lose at least 100lbs . I'm not very sure of what exercises to do. I'm a stay at home mom with 2 kids 3yr old and a 1 yr old. I just need some types of exercises to do I live in a upstairs apartment and don't wanna fall thru my floor working out or have neighbors complaining. I like to run/jog/walk but can't always go due to no stroller for both kids. Could someone help me plz.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Hi I'm Courtney, I'm trying to lose at least 100lbs . I'm not very sure of what exercises to do. I'm a stay at home mom with 2 kids 3yr old and a 1 yr old. I just need some types of exercises to do I live in a upstairs apartment and don't wanna fall thru my floor working out or have neighbors complaining. I like to run/jog/walk but can't always go due to no stroller for both kids. Could someone help me plz.

An exercise bike with a magnetic resistance is very quiet and wouldn't bother the neighbors.