Mybodygallery.com how accurate is it

Options
How accurate is mybodygallery.com i just recently found it you choose a weight it will give you your size and it will show others the same height and weight as you i found it really interesting and for once i did get an idea of what i could look like at my goal and what size i would be :):D:p which is good but in the back of my mind i think that some are lying about their weight but i don't know for sure should i continue to go on mybodygallery.com for motivation or not has anyone els used it and what did you think of it... HOW ACCURATE IS IT REALLY..

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that they would lie about their weight. Maybe some would but not all. What would be the point?
  • BlendaBrenda
    BlendaBrenda Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Accurate as in how YOU will look at your goal weight? Not really.
    I think the site really goes to show how different 130lbs can look, kwim?
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Accurate as in how YOU will look at your goal weight? Not really.
    I think the site really goes to show how different 130lbs can look, kwim?

this
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I highly doubt that they would lie about their weight. Maybe some would but not all. What would be the point?

This
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It does not show you what you will look like. It shows what a range of other people like like. For a given weight people are dramatically different sizes. It depends on height, bone structure, body composition. I've looked at that site. It is interesting, but at any given weight I see people who look great and people who look not good at all. The weight alone doesn't tell you much.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not a single person on there with my stats.....
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Not a single person on there with my stats.....

Really? Wow! May I ask, what are they? Just curious.
  • sybillabryson
    sybillabryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree the weight alone doesn't tell you much. A 200 pound woman can look much more attractive than a 130 pound woman. Isn't that sort of the point of the site to sort of remind you that just because you feel bad about your weight or appearance, you don't see your body objectively & are probably too hard on yourself. That's what I took away from it.
  • Bubbalovegettinghealthy
    Bubbalovegettinghealthy Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Options
    I'm 5,2 so i clicked on the 5,2 category and my goal weight and it gives you an idea of what you could look like.
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    It does not show you what you will look like. It shows what a range of other people like like. For a given weight people are dramatically different sizes. It depends on height, bone structure, body composition. I've looked at that site. It is interesting, but at any given weight I see people who look great and people who look not good at all. The weight alone doesn't tell you much.

But if you choose your height and your goal weight say your height is 5,4 and you want to be 130 and than click and they show others who are 5,4 and weigh 130 so it gives you an idea of what you could look like anyway i thought that's why they had the websight is to show you that you can also choose your starting weight and see what you look like at your starting weight also
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have serious doubts about the usefulness of this site. Good concept, terrible implementation, lousy search algorithm and no user input oversight.

Maybe most of the contributors aren't lying, but maybe a lot of them are just wrong. Self-reporting is notoriously inaccurate. I've played around with the search feature and routinely get results that are blatantly unrealistic. 210 lbs, age 34, pear-shaped build, size 8 pants? Yeah maybe if she's 6'8".

Or a search for a 110 lb woman that returns three of the same photos on the first page as a search for a 140 lb woman with no parameters other than weight to skew the result.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have a picture up there. A few actually. It's not a matter of how "accurate" it is. Some women with 130 have a body fat% of 25, some have 18. One is going to look much more slim than the other. Here's mine at 5'4" when I was 144. I look pretty different from the other women who show up in the search.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-44046-body-shape.htm?StartAt=4#.Vg9VhFbFJBU
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

But if you choose your height and your goal weight say your height is 5,4 and you want to be 130 and than click and they show others who are 5,4 and weigh 130 so it gives you an idea of what you could look like anyway i thought that's why they had the websight is to show you that you can also choose your starting weight and see what you look like at your starting weight also

Women who are 5'4" and 130 can look wildly different...and do. Broad hips or shoulders vs slim hips and shoulders, top heavy vs bottom heavy vs hourglass vs apple, high body fat vs low body fat and is that fat firm or is it flabby, large breasts vs flat chested, etc.

If you look at two women the same age who are both 5'4" and 130, one might LOOK like she is 115 while the other might LOOK like she is 160. There are too many variables.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    There's plenty of people on there that are clearly lying.
    I don't think they are lying. There really is no reason to...it is an anonymous site. People just are built very differently. Body fat % and where that fat happens to be distributed makes a HUGE difference.

For example, I am 5'10" and 166 this morning. Most of my shirts are a size large, and just a few are mediums. However, I usually wear a size six in pants and skirts....I even have a couple of size 4s that fit well. Those numbers do not SEEM like they should go together, but they do.

I have broad shoulders and medium breasts which limits how small a shirt I will ever be able to wear regardless of weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think it's interesting but not useful as far as getting an idea of what I'll look like in the future.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    HOW ACCURATE IS IT REALLY..

Highly accurate.. FOR THE PERSON THAT SUBMITTED. Your mileage may vary.. There are way too many variables to use what you see there as an absolute. As an example.. I have freakishly muscled legs. It's a result of tremendously short Achilles' tendons, but my legs look like a soccer player's legs. As a result, I'm surprisingly dense, so I don't look as heavy as I am. It also means when I get to goal weight, I will be athletic by body fat percentage, but overweight by BMI. I will also not look like most 5'11 guys who weigh 185.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    More often than not I believe stats the users give for themselves. Occasionally I do come across a user who claims to wear a size that I suspect is BS, or who categorized their body shape as something that appears plainly wrong judging from the picture(s) they've submitted. Vanity sizing (or perhaps just accomplishing the task of getting some garment in that size on their body somehow is what counts for them to earn the right to claim that size) or not knowing what bodyshape to categorize their body under could account for that, though.

Only once did I see a user who was so off the charts plainly wrong on every stat they gave that I think it had to be a joke, but maybe they were that deluded? I have no idea,

Variances due to photo angles and different bodyfat %'s become fairly easy to factor in when you've spent as much time as I have looking at before/afters and whatnot.
  • Alex_James80
    Alex_James80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with Flaminica. This site is great in theory but in reality it has limited utility. Submissions may be anonymous but you've no idea whether it's the person in question or not (it could be a disgruntled ex boyfriend wanting to publicly fat shame an ex girlfriend for example).

Moreover, Flaminica has also previously pointed out that the search algorithm doesn't work as it should. It's often the case that the same people appear in searches despite completely different search parameters.

I've seen submissions that look right. However, I've just seen so many submissions that seem erroneous.

She's obviously overweight but there's no way this girl is 16 stone 4 lbs even at 5ft 7: http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-24179-body-shape.htm

This one is such obvious bulls**t though. Am I supposed to believe this girl is really 18 stone 6 lbs?! http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-46517-body-shape.htm

If she's that weight, you'd see much more fat around her face, extremely flabby arms, a much more noticeable stomach and far larger waist and thighs. This girl is obviously overweight but she's not 7 stone overweight!!!

18 stone 6 lbs for a girl is enormous and dangerously obese. I know someone similar to that size and she's huge. She's a UK Size 26, has a 41 inch waist, an enormous distended stomach, a quadruple chin, extremely flabby, cellulite covered arms that are the size of Mr T, and even the slightest physical exertion puts an enormous stress on her body. Walking up a flight of stairs is almost an impossibility for her...she's completely out of breath and she's not even 30 years old!. If she doesn't drop the weight, she's going to have major health problems in future.

The person I know looks indescribably different to the 2nd girl at mybodygallery.

As a result, I wouldn't put too much faith in what you see on this site tbh.