How much grams in a cup of rice

Options
Hi wanted to ask how much grams is a cup of rice (cooked)? :)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends of the type and how long you cook it. Weigh it dry.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Impossible to answer. Grams are a unit of weight (mass, technically); cups are a unit of volume.

That's like asking how many inches in a minute.

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's tough to tell because you're comparing a weight and a volume. If it's too late to weigh and you're just looking for a rough estimate, if you assume the density of cooked rice is about 0.7-0.8 g/mL (thanks, Google!), it would be about 177 grams.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much you pack into the cup. Search for cooked rice entries in the database, such as this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_servings/239396204 . This is the most typical rice in America: long grain, white. But there are other entries for short and medium grain, brown, etc. They all have measurements in grams. Just don't forget to add the word "cooked" to your search.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    We cook big pots of rice and it lasts for days. To solve the problem of what to use (volume measure vs. weight), I've cooked up the normal amount (3 cups dry) then weighed the cooked rice (less pot of course) and calculated the calories and macros per 1 ounce. Then it doesn't matter whether I eat it freshly cooked (when it tends to have more volume due to being "wet") or days later when it comes out of the fridge and is more compacted (due to being "dried" out).
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    We cook big pots of rice and it lasts for days. To solve the problem of what to use (volume measure vs. weight), I've cooked up the normal amount (3 cups dry) then weighed the cooked rice (less pot of course) and calculated the calories and macros per 1 ounce. Then it doesn't matter whether I eat it freshly cooked (when it tends to have more volume due to being "wet") or days later when it comes out of the fridge and is more compacted (due to being "dried" out).
    It does matter unless you are splitting the rice into portions on the day it is cooked. The "days later" rice will have more calories per cup.

The larger volume of the freshly cooked rice is due to water taking up some of that space and water doesn't have any calories. The rice with less water will be able to fit more rice grains into a cup so it will have more calories per cup.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always use a measuring cup to portion, and enter the grams when logging. It usually is around 127-130 grams in my experience.
  • Francl27
    Options
    It really depends on how much you pack into the cup. Search for cooked rice entries in the database, such as this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_servings/239396204 . This is the most typical rice in America: long grain, white. But there are other entries for short and medium grain, brown, etc. They all have measurements in grams. Just don't forget to add the word "cooked" to your search.

And in my experience they are all inaccurate by 20% or so.

Weigh 4 servings of rice. Cook rice. Weigh again. Divide by 4. That's your portion in grams.

Done.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I eat rice every single day.. I just weigh 150g cooked rice=195 cals... I don't know how accurate that is but it has work for the last year... I don't cook my rice (thank u mom) and weigh it dry is not an option the same as not eating my daily rice it's not an option either.
  • Francl27
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    I eat rice every single day.. I just weigh 150g cooked rice=195 cals... I don't know how accurate that is but it has work for the last year... I don't cook my rice (thank u mom) and weigh it dry is not an option the same as not eating my daily rice it's not an option either.

When I measured mine it was 225 calories for 150g, but not the end of the world I guess.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Weigh it. Grab a measuring cup, fill it to a cup while in a scale