Plagued by Headaches

Options
Only been doing MFP for a week and a half but it seems like I've had a low grade headache since I started. Is this just my body reacting to the changes? How long can I expect it to last? Anyone else have these problems?

Replies

• LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Make sure you are getting plenty of protein, and potassium.
  • stoneman1970
    stoneman1970 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just one little suggestion - water. I get headaches when I haven't drunk enough. It should sort you out.:bigsmile:
  • Purplefly
    Purplefly Posts: 71
    Options
    I was getting headaches when I started as well. More water and a good healthy snack seemed to help for me.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Headaches aren't new to me, but I'm always on the lookout for suggestions...
    Try some electrolytes, like in smart water or gatorade.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water. I had the same issue and uping my water intake helped.
  • adalton6
    adalton6 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If you quit drinking soda or caffeine, that could be the problem. I know when I quit I had one heck of a migraine. Just make sure your getting enough to drink and plenty of nutrients from the foods your eating! Hope it goes away for ya soon. I hate them! :)
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    Are you eating enough?? I get killer headaches if I don't eat enough.
  • AtomicDarling
    Options
    Hmmm I get headaches if I don't drink enough water.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Drink more water (if you aren't already). Most of my headaches are caused by dehydration.

That being said there are other possibilities. Have you added anything new to your diet? More dairy, more glutenous foods? Many people have food-triggers for headaches.

Have you started new exercises? Is it possibly you have over stressed your shoulders or neck (I can hurt my neck doing crunches/sit-ups and my shoulders lifting weights without stretching, that sort of thing... Those can all lead to tension headaches that seem to last forever.

If the headaches are new, try to find what else is 'new' and you might find the cause.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting plenty protein, and potassium.

mais oui....

protein and caffeine are my go to foods when I feel a headache coming on. (i'm sure many folks here will object to the caffeine part, but I'm not giving up my morning cup o'joe )

Oh yeah and an adequate amount of water.
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    I get headaches from artificial sweeteners. If you have changed from regular sugar to sweetener, try going without for a day or two and see if you feel better. Also make sure you are eating enough throughout the day. I get killer headaches if I do not eat enough.
  • karlamn
    karlamn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try and eliminate sugar and artifical sweetners over the course of a week. In the meantime, Excederin Migraine is the only pain reliever that worked for me.
  • karlamn
    karlamn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try and eliminate sugar and artifical sweetners over the course of a week. In the meantime, Excederin Migraine is the only pain reliever that worked for me.
  • alison_cpb
    alison_cpb Posts: 23
    Options
    It might be the aspartame in the Crystal Light. I have been using it to help me drink the 8 glasses of water each day and that is the only real change. I have cut out caffeine but I wasn't a huge coffee drinker to start with so I don't think it's withdrawal. I don't think it's dehydration since I've been drinking three times what I normally do in a day...

I'll try cutting out the aspartame and see if that makes a difference. I just HATE plain water...
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    It might be the aspartame in the Crystal Light. I have been using it to help me drink the 8 glasses of water each day and that is the only real change. I have cut out caffeine but I wasn't a huge coffee drinker to start with so I don't think it's withdrawal. I don't think it's dehydration since I've been drinking three times what I normally do in a day...

I'll try cutting out the aspartame and see if that makes a difference. I just HATE plain water...

They also make True Lemon, True Lime and True Orange packets ( crystallized = no artificial sweeteners) that add no sugar to your intake, but tastes great.
    The only sweetener I can tolerate without some kind of bodily retaliation is Stevia- I like decaf ice tea with it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, I had pretty bad headaches. They lasted for the first couple weeks - while my body adjusted to everything (eating differently, going to the gym, etc).

A) Caffeine withdrawal - if you gave up caffeine as a part of this lifestyle change, you'll experience headaches, dizziness, sluggishness, etc. It usually lasts a week or so (depending on how much caffeine you drank before)

B) Dehydration - make sure you're drinking enough water. Especially if you're working out. I try and drink at least 1/2 my body weight (in ounces) a day. I weigh around 145lbs, so I try and make sure I get at least 70oz a day. It's been VERY hot here lately, so I've been trying to get at least 80-100oz.

C) Artificial sweeteners - like aspartame. It gives me horrible headaches. If you have started using it recently - look into that.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting plenty protein, and potassium.

mais oui....

protein and caffeine are my go to foods when I feel a headache coming on. (i'm sure many folks here will object to the caffeine part, but I'm not giving up my morning cup o'joe )

Oh yeah and an adequate amount of water.

I will drink a cup of fresh brewed coffee if I feel a migraine coming on. REALLY strong coffee like the sort that'll grow hair on a frog it's so strong :tongue:
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you think it could be from the artificial sweetener - try adding a squeeze of fresh lemon or fresh orange to your water bottle??

Wishing you luck - headaches are the pits!