Under active Thyroid, very slow metabolism and existing injury! HELP!

Options
Hi everyone, Ive been here on and off for years.
Recently took break and took my eye off the nutrition ball so to speak, so here I am again!

I have had health issues and after tests I find I have under active Thyroid, my metabolism is really slow ( takes me 4 days to process food )
I suspect this is due to my laxative abuse in the past and bulimia 12 years ago.
The injury I have is my ITB on both legs, mainly my left, the pain I have is at the hip rather than the knee so it makes it difficult to walk somedays. I think this started due to my power walking training, I used to do 40 miles a day during my bulimic phase!

So here I am Female 48, about 2 stone heavier than I need to be.
Advice on nutrition, supplements, exercise ( I have a rebounder?!) and anything which will get my metabolism going again.
I have tried to lose weight in the last year but its really depressingly slow.

Advice anyone please?!
Thank you x

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Is your thyroid well medicated? All your numbers are good, not just TSH?
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Regarding your IT: do you roll them (either with a foam roller or with a dough roller)? If you do, ice it immediately after and elevate the leg(s). Yes, it is very painful but it helps a lot. Keep working your upper body (e.g. push ups), your balance and your core. Consider some isometric exercises (as oppose to isotonic) for your lower body (do follow the instructions regarding breathing and duration). Ask someone to spot you walking (or to video you walking). If you are turning your feet inwards try to make a conscious effort to correct it. There is a very good series on the blog here about knee pain. Those exercises are safe for you and will help you even though your pain is on the hip. Good luck.
  • rnohou2010
    rnohou2010 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need synthroid to supplement your low thyroid levels.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Weight loss when hypothyroid is more likely going ti be slower than in a 'normal' person so don't beat yourself up, if you are losing that is progress.

Make sure your thyroid levels are good in an ideal world you would want your tsh below 2 and t4 (and possibly t3 if it gets tested) on the high end of the range.

I don't really know what itb is but work on gentle exercise or maybe low impact like swimming.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are clinically hypothyroid, you need to solve this with a dr first. When your levels come back to normal, you will start losing weight like everyone else.
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, thats really helpful.
    xxx
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a public pool try water walking. It helps build strength without less weight load on your knees. - Don't get frustrated an under active thyroid even if properly medicated will slow the process. Also watch your vitamin D levels since D synthesis can be compromised.