Please help me increase deadlift max

Options
I'm sure there is an easy answer to this.

Currently, my 1RM is 405lbs without compromising form. I'm in no rush to see huge gains overnight. I'm more or less asking for a proper regime to increase weight. Would I work a certain percentage with reps and up the percentage weekly?

I'm just a little skeptical of programs that you find online at other "fitness" sites because there are SO many.

I'm open to suggestions from those that know more than me. Thanks!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You can try a program for all of your lifts such as lift-run-bang 365, cube method, 5/3/1, juggernaught method, Westside method etc or if you want to focus specifically on the DL a peaking routine such as the coan-Philipi deadlift routine
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. The Coan-Philippi routine looks intense!
  • dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Throw some deficits in. One week power next week speed work. Do you pull conventional or sumo?
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to give any solid advice without knowing your current routine, but I would agree with @Hendrix7 that going to a powerlifting site would be the best place to see how intermediate and advanced lifters do it. One good resource can also be some of the advanced training logs available on some websites.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Perfect your form and keep working on improving/perfecting it.

Limit max effort training to 1x week (tend to find recovery issues exceeding this).

Get plenty of volume in with lighter reps, DL variants and assistance work (I do mine on squat day).

Eat and be patient. Someone your size has a pretty high ceiling, give it time.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Limit max effort training to 1x week (tend to find recovery issues exceeding this).

Get plenty of volume in with lighter reps, DL variants and assistance work (I do mine on squat day).

Solid advice. Thanks.

Thanks to all.

I lift conventionally for my max (for the other person that asked) but I do sumos occasionally.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

^^^volumex2.
    Plus don't neglect upper back work and extra ham/glut work.

• mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just to re-iterate what others have said, eat a lot, assistance work and get smart on some kind of periodisation type training. This year I've been adding a deload week in as per 5/3/1 and it has really helped. I've cut back a little on the volume and really only do 2 real work sets per week and feel a lot fresher. I find the strength gains have come along without beating myself up every week with no rest.

Where in the lift are you failing? Off the ground? In the lock out? Grip? Target your weakness as previously mentioned, deficits (off 2 plates), glute bridges or hip thrusts, plate pinching or farmers walks.

This program worked for me, and I'm going to dust it off again once I have finished a few more cycles of 5/3/1

https://www.t-nation.com/training/simple-deadlift-program
  • suttiel357
    suttiel357 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A 5x5 program was insane for my deadlift. Five weeks.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ugh, double post.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    My husband was stuck at 405 forever. Have you tried rack pulls? I switched from 5/3/1 to 5/3/1 for PL; which requires a deload week and 1x1@training max on 3 and 1 weeks. Surprise, surprise, I broke through my plateau.

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    can you pull 315 10xs??? if not I would make that my goal and watch the 405 JUMP
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    can you pull 315 10xs??? if not I would make that my goal and watch the 405 JUMP

Someone who can already pull 405 can almost certainly pull 315x10, if not more.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Someone who can already pull 405 can almost certainly pull 315x10, if not more.

Calculated out that would only be 420lbs according to most calculators, so maybe not. 10 and 20 rep maxes are taxing on the system a way singles, triples, and 5s are not. That might be solid advice that works for him. It is also sort of the principal behind 5/3/1 and doing max effort sets with your highest weight.