Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars - healthy?

Options
annarface
annarface Posts: 77 Member
I've developed an obsession with the Canadian Maple Syrup Nature Valley Crunchy Granola bars. I like to have one packet (2 bars) each night before I go to bed and was wondering if this would be bad for my weight loss if it's included in my calorie count? After I've eaten it my stomach always sticks out A LOT but goes back to normal when I wake up, which is okay I guess, since no one sees me at night after I've eaten one.

I've tried lower calorie granola bars but none of them compare to this one for me, and I was wondering if it's okay to be indulging in a packet each night? I eat relatively well throughout the day with no junk food. I just always feel guilty after eating these.

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I like the peanut butter kind. I think if you are hungry and want a sweet, they are a good substitute for something more caloric or fattening. And if you are still within your calorie count, go for it. Enjoy those granola bars. :drinker:
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    In my opinion, they are healthy (all natural ..etc) I just dont know If I would eat one right before bed. Carbs and sugar before sleep just usually for me isn't the best plan. I'd say have one earlier in the afternoon and maybe some protein before you sleep? Just my thoughts... ;)
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I never have trouble sleeping with them, I have them before bed because it gives me something to look forward to throughout the rest of the day and keeps me eating healthily throughout the day because I know I have something I really want waiting for me at the end!
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have become obessed with the Pecan Nature Valley Bars. They have a lot of sugar and sodium but if you like them enjoy. I say it's better than eating a snickers every night.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    There's worse things you could eat, but I would try to find an alternative. I love oatmeal with splenda and cinnamon. I am going to experiment with oatmeal cookies later....
  • Franticantics
    Options
    Try just having 1 bar? They're very high in sugar ( carbs) so it's really not ideal to have before bed.
    I know what you mean though, i absolutely love them, I have a pack every now and then, but only in my heaviest exercise days between classes...
    x
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I love the granola thins. . I say they're better than a candy bar out of the machine!!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    They're good for you and if they fit in your calorie count for the day, have at it. The stomach bloat is more than likely due to the fiber content which isn't a bad thing...it's good for you too but a lot at once tends to make some people bloat until your stomach settles and your body starts to process it all. No worries! Enjoy.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I love the granola thins. . I say they're better than a candy bar out of the machine!!
  • kamiArndt36
    Options
    I found the goodness knows yummy snack squares are the best. The have 3 different flavors and you get 4 squares in a pack age. For 150 cals 7 gm fat, 12 g sugars they are a tasty treat and the best part (2 really) they are dipped in dark chocolate and the fat content is monounsaturated so it's a huge bonus!!!!!! They are really yummy made with nuts, and berries dipped in chocolate .....what more could you ask for??/
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    oooh i love the nature valley chewy trail mix bars. They seem much more natural than a lot of cereal bars. I sometimes have one for breakfast or post-workout/run
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I like those chewy ones too as well as the maple granola ones. They are better than a bar of choc but still have a lot of rubbish. If u enjoy them and they are included in your allowance then have it if it it your little treat and something to look forward to. Personally I prefer nakd bars which I think are a bit better for you and even better than the natures valley
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I get the crumbs ALLLLLLL over me, so had to stop. :tongue:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Why are they considered healthy? They have a measly 2 g of fiber. Other than that I don't see anything redeeming about them. They are carbs loaded with sugar. Not that there is anything wrong with that if it fits into your calorie goals. But *healthy*? No.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I love those too, but I don't have the calorie or sugar allowance to enjoy them right now.

They are high in sugar ( hopefully you eat them before cleaning your teeth! :bigsmile: ) which isn't ideal at the best of times, and sugary calories eaten just before going to sleep aren't a great idea because less of the sugar is used straight after eating it, so I'd try and restrict it to one bar.

Having said that, if you do have the calories for them, the effect won't be so great that it will stop you losing weight.

Not healthy though, which was your question. Healthier than a chocolate bar, sure, but what isn't?
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Challenging question-

What's wrong with sugar and carbs? Assuming you're not diabetic or suffer from another MD.

I ask this question especially in response to the "carbs are bad before bed" statements.

To answer the question of the OP, if they fit into your daily allotment of calories for weight loss, then eat them.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why people seem to think sugar and carbs are automatically 'bad' or unhealthy. I mean, if that's all you're eating, of course it is. But there is nothing inherently bad about them.

I say go for it. I often eat these as well - I carry granola bars and things around with me, in case I get hungry when I'm away from home. There are definitely granola bars with more health benefits, if that's what you're looking for, but that doesn't mean these are unhealthy - just not as healthy as other things.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I'm not sure why people seem to think sugar and carbs are automatically 'bad' or unhealthy. I mean, if that's all you're eating, of course it is. But there is nothing inherently bad about them.

Exactly. Assuming that you are getting an adequate amount of protein and fat, there's nothing wrong with carbohydrates.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Assuming that you are getting an adequate amount of protein and fat, there's nothing wrong with carbohydrates.
    Nothing wrong with carbs, everything wrong with too much sugar. Some is okay, too much is not.

Whether two of these bars = too much sugar for the OP I've no idea. I do know that the sugar content of these bars is too high for me to have two a day.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs, everything wrong with too much sugar. Some is okay, too much is not.

Whether two of these bars = too much sugar for the OP I've no idea. I do know that the sugar content of these bars is too high for me to have two a day.

Exactly. If the calories fit into your day, fine. The question was are they healthy. I don't see anything nutritionally redeeming about them except the measly 2 grams of fiber.