no food after a certain time

Options
13»

Replies

• dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The thing with our sleep cycles is that there are numerous critical processes going on, and our body behaves very differently during deep sleep - lowered heart rate, blood pressure, increased blood flow to the muscles - that it ever does during waking hours, even if we're 'resting'.

Our body produces the critical growth hormones, and performs tissue repair - things that actually don't happen with any concentration during waking hours - only during the deep sleep section of our rest. Part of the hormone release is for ghrelin and leptin, the two hormones that dictate when we feel hungry and full. The really critical thing is that leptin (the 'fullness' hormone) has been discovered to have a circadian rhythm. This means that the timings of our meals are actually quite important, if we don't want to fool our body's natural hormonal patterns - especially during our sleep cycle. It's also been conclusively proven that leptrin and cortisol are intrinsically linked - and we all know that stress and eating too much is a fatal combination when trying to lose weight!

I do get that, for some people, shift work and very busy lifestyles mean that eating rather close to bedtime is unavoidable, but people should be aware that they are perhaps making life much harder for themselves, and their body, in doing so. Changing the main meal to earlier in their day is one way to counteract this, I'd imagine. After all, this was the norm several hundred years ago, before industrialisation - and many countries with traditional cultures still have their largest meal in the middle of their day (no matter what time they wake and sleep). That can't be an accident!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    there's a lot of "do whatever you want" in this thread so far, and frankly, i don't disagree. BUT...

based on some of what i've learned from some of the same individuals who've participated in this thread, here's another way to think about this.

i feel kinda dumb for not having figured this out before a conversation with @ninerbuff a while back, but when you exercise, when you engage in activity throughout the day, you're burning calories that you've consumed as fuel that are "in the pipe" at that point in time. he pointed out to me that people have this misconception that they're burning fat stores when they exercise, but the only time you're truly burning fat stores is when you're asleep - because at that point in time, your fat stores are your bodys' only source for caloric energy.
    How quickly do you think food is completely digested and all energy extracted?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    but it seems to stand to reason that you're forcing your metabolisms' hand in the direction of burning existing fat stores if you go to sleep on as empty a stomach as possible...wouldn't it?

People focus way too much on burning fat vs. burning what you are eating at any particular time (same issue with the arguments for fasted exercise or the "fat burning zone"). You burn a particular amount throughout the day (including when you sleep). If that amount is more than you eat, you are going to be burning fat. If you burn fat when exercising (or when sleeping) rather than the food you've eaten (or the glucose created), that food has to go somewhere, so it becomes fat. Basically I think of it as we are burning fat and adding new fat constantly. The goal is to burn more than we add, so we are net losers. You can't really cheat the process by not eating carbs or not eating before bed or exercising only long and slow or when fasted. It will even out anyway.

Thus, I think the most important thing is to eat in a way that will make you best able to keep calories where they should be and to help you be active. If you are more likely to be active if you eat earlier, do that. If you find you wake up raring to work out if you eat late, do that. If you find eating dinner late makes it easier not to overeat in the evening, do that. If you find it would be impossible to eat earlier and it would make you unhappy to skip dinner (this is me), then don't fret about it, it doesn't matter.
  • jasminemabry
    jasminemabry Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Has anyone cut off eating after a certain time, and how about if you work 2nd or 3rd shifts how do you set a cut off time
    I have done this before and it works. When you are doing other shifts, can you eat at a certain time, and cut off a certain time before going to bed. Say 2-3hrs before bed is a cut off?
    Yes I can cut off at a certain time but I didn't know if it matter if it was a certain or just an amount of hours before I got home
  • jah1360
    jah1360 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    CjF1960 wrote: »
    Being a diabetic, I find that my morning sugar readings are much better if I don't eat after 7:30 in the evening, especially have to go easy on the carbs in the evening.

I also a diabetic, but I other the way around I find a small snack around 7:30-8:00 before I go to bed I have better morning sugar reading, then when I don't have a snack before bed. So now I always plan a small evening snack.

• MVG821
    MVG821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't really believe in meal timing. I eat whenever it is convenient for me or when I get hungry.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've never set a cut off time, and I really don't see any reason to.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I like to eat most of calories at night. Even if I'm really hungry I try to eat light throughout the day.

During the week I try not to eat anything before 1:00 p.m., usually I wait until 2:00 or 2:30. It helps me eat less if I start eating later. But even that is not a hard and fast rule. If I get really hungry I'll grab a snack.

This is the way I ate for the 40 years I was thin so I decided to go back to it. Eating during the day doesn't seem to work well for me.
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    Some studies suggest that taking a break from eating, a short fast, for about 14 hours is beneficial to weightloss. Hence why many people do not eat for some hours prior to going to bed.

Intermittent fasting
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I personally hate going to bed with a stomach full of food. Whether it's scientifically correct or not, I just feel it's best not to go to sleep right after eating a full meal. I try and give my body as long of a break from digesting food as possible. I finish eating by 6:30 ish at night and don't eat again til 12pm the next day. This just happens naturally for me tho.
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat after 7pm, which is about 12 hours after I get up.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I work a lot of night shifts. I tend to try to keep my eating on a daytime schedule most of the time. I stop eating before 10pm and try really hard not to eat again until breakfast (5am-7am). I drink water or no calorie beverages if I'm at work. If I'm home, I usually switch to sleeping at night if I can fall asleep.