Getting through to a football player????

Options
mtkautz
mtkautz Posts: 218 Member
So... any ideas on how to get my brother actually interested in what I'm trying to tell him about gaining muscle? He won't listen (AT ALL) about how what you eat plays a huge part... yet he wants to get much bigger for football? He's going to end up losing weight in the long run.

I FINALLY got him to take a protein shake with him for after practice this morning... his response "It doesn't make me feel any different so why should I keep doing it?"

This kid, 15 years old, 6 foot and 147 pounds wants to put on some serious muscle for football season but won't listen to me(his sister) even though I've had a lot of experience working out with personal trainers and body builders. I'm also a nurse, I know what I'm talking about... I just don't know how to get him interested before he damages his body.

He barely eats, when he does eat... it's junk. Chocolate muffins, chips, pop... The healhiest meal he gets is dinner and that's because it is cooked for him, but he doesn't eat much for his size... let alone to allow for a weight gain. I mean I don't even remember the last time I saw him drink water.... I think it was at a track meet!

There is no way he is getting enough protein, I just would like some advice on how to get him interested? He loves going to practice and weight lifting-- mandatory for the football players in his high school, but apparently the coaches don't get into the nutrition side of gaining muscle mass?

HELP!!! PLEASE!! :)

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Obviously you can't do this for him. The only thing I would suggest is telling him to visit a bodybuilding website, I really like www.stronglifts.com partly because they include a diet along with the exercise program. Maybe if he sees how these other guys are building muscle, maybe he'd become interested in following it as well.

and your his sister, of course he isn't going to listen to you :tongue:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So... any ideas on how to get my brother actually interested in what I'm trying to tell him about gaining muscle? He won't listen (AT ALL) about how what you eat plays a huge part... yet he wants to get much bigger for football? He's going to end up losing weight in the long run.

I FINALLY got him to take a protein shake with him for after practice this morning... his response "It doesn't make me feel any different so why should I keep doing it?"

This kid, 15 years old, 6 foot and 147 pounds wants to put on some serious muscle for football season but won't listen to me(his sister) even though I've had a lot of experience working out with personal trainers and body builders. I'm also a nurse, I know what I'm talking about... I just don't know how to get him interested before he damages his body.

He barely eats, when he does eat... it's junk. Chocolate muffins, chips, pop... The healhiest meal he gets is dinner and that's because it is cooked for him, but he doesn't eat much for his size... let alone to allow for a weight gain. I mean I don't even remember the last time I saw him drink water.... I think it was at a track meet!

There is no way he is getting enough protein, I just would like some advice on how to get him interested? He loves going to practice and weight lifting-- mandatory for the football players in his high school, but apparently the coaches don't get into the nutrition side of gaining muscle mass?

HELP!!! PLEASE!! :)

He will learn when he gets run over by the stronger guys, it may take a few time too.

I started lifting at his age as I am also under sized for football. At the most I only gained 10 lbs, but 10lbs of pure muscle makes a difference in the strength department and being able to move a pile, instead of going nowhere.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i grew up around high school jocks (my brother and his friends) there is no getting through
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    made my son a really cool drink for him-- he didnt mind and he noticed pretty quick the difference between himself and the others-- 6'3 and 280-- NOT FAT-

Milk _he is lactose intoleranct so lactose free milk
    Protein powder--whey and casein all kinds of flavors
    Ice cream ( for added cals- but mainly for taste) lactose free of course
    fruit- what ever i had- frozen
    then I snuck in some blended zucchini-snow peas- spinach- for added vits-he is not a big veggie eater--
    If using bananas I would also throw in some peanut butter
    ***we have our own chickens so I would use raw eggs***would NOT NOT NOT suggest this for you - but it helped***

He would drink this twice a day and loved it-- I had to give the "recipe" to the other linemen

As far as him "getting it" he will when he gets his butt kicked in practice--
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    When you're 15, it takes alot to break away from the peer pressure of just doing what everyone else is doing and "daring to be different", especially in an environment such as team sports.

In his case, it's unfortunate that the coach doesn't educate the team more on proper nutrition and eating, but there really is little you can do.

I've found in my experience, that it's up to the individivual to decide if they really want to excel, and that's when they start training hard both on and off the field. Not everyone discovers that however and he might be quite content simply roughhousing it up with his friends.

I've no doubt that anything coming from big Sis is just going to fall on deaf ears...it's genetic conditioning at that age not to listen to such wisdom, but as he matures, there's a chance he'll develop more of a focus.

15 is still quite young and the majority are just going through the motions at that age. My advice would be to let him enjoy it and as he matures and advances in the game, assuming he continues playing through the years, he'll be looking for ways to up his training and skill set that can carry him into enjoying the game much longer.

Cheers,
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am a football coach and I see this often. Over the next few years, he will learn but yes it is a struggle.

He won't drink protein, but I am sure he drinks Monster and Red Bull? Yep, I see it all of the time.

The best process is to keep it up. Always talk about the proper foods to eat, the amount of water to drink, etc. Frankly I am surprised his coach does has not taken this approach as well.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Why can't someone (a parent) talk to the coach about bringing in a registered dietician or a nutritionist to speak to the guys after practice one day on nutrition and gaining muscle?
    When I was swimming years and years ago, a nutritionist came to speak to our team about foods to eat during training and for meets. It was helpful. I knew the info, didn't always follow it, but I knew it.....
  • Shrek55
    Shrek55 Posts: 14
    Options
    http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/jp1.htm

Have him check out the link. I played for many years and gained 55 lbs in my senior year and went from LB to DL and OL playing both ways and ST.

My rugby coach gave me the best advice. When you are skinny you have to lift heavy and eat everything and the box to gain.

If he slacks off he will get run over like said below. If he sticks to it, he could go to college for free. That is what i tell my kids.

Diet is number one. You have no place in a gym if your diet is poor.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    The best advice e I can give you is to see if you can find an article or something from someone he looks up to in the football world, that talks about nutrition. And put it where he will see it, and he probably doesn’t want his sister telling him “see I’ve been trying to tell you”. Try to make it look like he found it himself, us guys have our pride you know.
  • Atleast40
    Atleast40 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You could also consider talking to one or two of the coaches, in private. If you go to the games or practices try to get in some brief face-to-face time at first, by telling them something like "good game" or asking "how the team is looking?" Then some other time when you can, you may even want to call and speak to the coaches and ask how the coaches discuss or advise the players about their diets and how an athlete's diet should be a little different from a regular person's. Good luck
  • Disinte_GratioN
    Options
    Hes pretty young....May take him some time before he listens...I know I didn't at that age. Give him lots of info and ask him to try a few things at a time.
  • mtkautz
    Options
    http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/jp1.htm

Have him check out the link. I played for many years and gained 55 lbs in my senior year and went from LB to DL and OL playing both ways and ST.

My rugby coach gave me the best advice. When you are skinny you have to lift heavy and eat everything and the box to gain.

If he slacks off he will get run over like said below. If he sticks to it, he could go to college for free. That is what i tell my kids.

Diet is number one. You have no place in a gym if your diet is poor.

This is an AWESOME link, thank you! I tried to ask him what he's doing in the weight room, casually, but I don't even think he knows to be honest. He's told me before he just copies what the bigger guys are doing, but maybe this will give him a bit more of a plan so HE knows what he is doing and why.
    He wants to play college ball, his big dream is NFL but he knows that's far off--- two more reasons he needs to know what he's doing to his body.

Thanks for all the help!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You really should be enlisting your parents to intervene here. Why aren't they emphasizing this with their son? I'd strongly suggest you sit them down, if you haven't, and voice your concerns. If they do not respond, get your brother's coach to help, perhaps.
  • mtkautz
    Options
    You really should be enlisting your parents to intervene here. Why aren't they emphasizing this with their son? I'd strongly suggest you sit them down, if you haven't, and voice your concerns. If they do not respond, get your brother's coach to help, perhaps.

Haha! My parents enlisted me!
    My dad is in the military and a doctor, but never has played a competitive sport in his life. He also has this amazing ability to eat whatever he wants, when he wants, and stay at the same weight and is in amazing health... So nutrition preaching really isn't his thing...
    my mom has never been big on serious workouts... she just wants to see my brother succeed as do I.
    BUT I have been in sports and I spent a majority of my free time in the gym during high school, and now that I am a senior in college I'm finally getting back into it. They know that I've studied this stuff in school, and have lived it first hand.
    Talking to his coach won't be an issue, in fact I've already tried talking to his coach in previous years (known him awhile!!) , he sees him all the time now in drivers ed and football--so maybe the coach will have some more opportunities to talk to him about it (HUGE team) , but my brother is just uninterested at this point.

It's just a matter of getting my brother interested now, I'm just trying to help him get to his goals faster and yea, I know, who's going to listen to their sister?!?! But I figure eventually I'll get through, he wants to go to the gym with me so I can show him a few things, I will take advantage of that--- "Only if you drink your protein shake!!"--- haha, I'm a mom too, so bribery is a skill of mine.

I guess maybe he'll listen (or come looking for answers) when he gets into weight training for a couple weeks and is seeing the scale go down rather than up??
  • niavalentino
    niavalentino Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I didn't play football, but I ran track and did volleyball when I was his age in high school. Though different sports, still the same concept about stressing the importance of diet! All of my coaches stressed having a good diet and so did my brothers (a football player and basketball). I tell my younger sister who also is starting out in volleyball that nutrition is equally, if not MORE important, but even better yet - I show her through example. She watches me when I eat, and how I try to take care of myself. It might not necessarily work because she is only 11 and your brother is 15 (oh, the rebellious age), but I think the best way is through example. If not, direct him toward some of his favorite athletes and have him look up what they do to keep their body healthy and strong. Or even an influential male in his life should speak to him because little brothers (or brothers in general!) just don't necessarily like to listen to their sister(s).
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Why can't someone (a parent) talk to the coach about bringing in a registered dietician or a nutritionist to speak to the guys after practice one day on nutrition and gaining muscle?
    When I was swimming years and years ago, a nutritionist came to speak to our team about foods to eat during training and for meets. It was helpful. I knew the info, didn't always follow it, but I knew it.....

I swam too... and we had multiple nutritionists speak to us... and we all still ate McDonalds after every Saturday morning workout and nachos in between summer workouts. Come to think of it, what is the treat of choice that swimmers get from the vendors at swim meets... its nachos!

To the OP, the bottom line is that he's 15, he's male, and you're his sister. Not to be mean, but that alone isn't a recipe for success. It won't click until his coach tells him to do something OR he sees results from one of his friends (or competitors).
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    I started workout around age 15 and mostly followed conventional wisdom of my peers. It took a while before I started researching for myself and making better decisions. "Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. "

Either get someone he looks up to and get them to give him proper advice or some how figure out a way to get through to him on the basics. If the basics start making sense to him he will begin to trust you on the bigger issues even if they don't make sense right now.

I started at forums.bodybuilding.com

A lot of knowledgeable guys on there.
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Try to find someone to he can look up to like another athlete at the school, a trainer, a friend who's a body builder. If a peer tells him the same things it will suddenly be cool. Also, avoid saying I told you so. Instead ask him questions about it and let him tell you how it is. Guys and showing off...sigh. Good luck.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    One thing that might help as well is the simple if you cook it, he will eat it :)

I know for my brother he would live on Monster and a bag of dorritos if we let him but if the food is made and in front of him he will scarf it down like no tomorrow. Maybe giving some tips to your mom about what to have available to him and maybe seeing if she will want to make up some lunches for when he gets home would help. I doubt you'll get him to pack a lunch or anything like that but having good food easily available to him will make all the difference in the world...