Suggestions for days I'm not getting enough calories

Options
I've been on Contrave combined with logging calories for just over a month. I've focused on switching over to low calorie, healthier options but not denying myself. However, there have been quite a few days were getting over 1000 calories is hard because I'm not hungry. My doctor wants me to eat between 1200 and 1400 per day, and I just got in "trouble" for losing 15 lbs in the first month.

My average day is a 250-300 calorie breakfast, a 300-400 calorie lunch, a 100-200 calorie snack, and 300-400 calorie dinner. If I have a day where everything is on the low end, I don't break 1000.

Right now I try to add almonds, babybel cheese, or a protein bar if I need extra calories, but it can take me an entire day to actually eat the protein bar.

I'm worried if I cut back on my new good habits, I'll be back right where I started at an unhealthy weight.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My #1 suggestion is to replace fat free or low fat foods with their higher fat equivalents.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I don't know what "contrave" is so I'm not sure if my advice goes along with that... But as the previous person said, add in full-fat options -- milk, yogurt, cheese. Add some peanut butter (lots of calories for just a little pb). That alone would do it for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others - switch to full fat stuff, add some olive oil in your dishes, etc...
  • misti19
    misti19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on Contrave. One of the recommendations is not to take with high fat meals. Anything over 30% has the potential to cause seizures. I get a headache if I have too much fat in a meal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. It has 100 calories per tablespoon / 16 grams.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Do you really need to be on the Contrave? Your profile says you only have 60lbs in total to lose. Have you talked to your doctor about trying to do this without meds, via calorie counting alone?

If there are other medical issues going on, feel free to ignore me. Just asking.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    if your having a harf time eating a protein bar or more food in general, try drinking food instead and with a straw it goes down quickly. if you have a blender, you can make a good healthy homemade protein shake using 5oz greek non-fat plain yogurt (chobani 81 calories), 4oz banana (101 calories) 1/2-1cp sweeten or unsweeten vanilla almond milk (calories varies, you could use 2% milk for extra calories), 2tbsp hemp hearts (113 calories) and add a 2-3 drops of liquid sweetener if want sweetness and i like to add 1 1/2 tsp of 100% cocoa to mine (5 calories). this one quick 1-2 minute to drink shake will add 300 calories to your day plus the calories of your choice of milk and the shake will provide you with; 36g of carbs, 9g of fat (8 are from the good poly & mono ones), 21g of protein and 6g of fiber (plus whatever your milk choice adds) and over 6g of omega 3 & 6.

or you could try the ensure strawbery complete nutrition shake (tasted best to me), thats a small bottle with 350 calories but, it is are a bit high in sugar IMO and can be pricey. Sams club however has cases of it and its a lot cheaper than buying it everywhere else (at least in our area that is).