I was just diagnosed with PCOS/Insulin Resistance. What now?.

Options
I'm 33 years old. I guess, looking back, I've had symptoms of PCOS since my teenage years. I was never really way overweight then, just on the high end of healthy even though I was very active in sports etc... Symptoms disappeared when I was on birth control, then again when I was pregnant. I went off birth control 4 years ago. Since then, I've put on 50lbs even though I've been dieting the entire time. My hair started falling out, I started having problems with my skin, as well as getting hair in places I did NOT want to be getting it. Finally, after a period that was so painful, I suspected an ectopic pregnancy (it wasn't), I got a referral to an obgyn. After blood work and an ultrasound, he diagnosed me with PCOS and insulin resistance.

I start metformin today, and I'm going back on birth control for the time being. I have no experience with metformin, although a friend said it made her very ill.

I weigh 202lbs (according to the doctor's scale), and I'm 5'2". I'm trying to get to 130 or so.

Part of me feels relieved. I felt like I was doing something wrong, or I was just too lazy or still eating too much (1200-1500 calories per day) to lose weight.

Are any of you going through this? What have your experiences with metformin been like? What can I expect?

Replies

• Priss08
    Priss08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I got the exact same diagnosis when I was 15. With pretty much the same meds and such.

I know that lots of people are very sick on metformin but in my experience it was a perfect treatment for me. I've been on it for over ten years, even while pregnant. It's really helped my symptoms and my blood work is always pretty good, especially when I'm a healthy weight. (It's been a while since I've been a healthy weight, but I'm working on it ;) )
  • deneenae
    deneenae Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Metformin can have different reactions for everyone, but the common one is nausea. Is this what your friend meant when she said it made her feel ill? If so, don't be discouraged, it'll only last a few days and once your body gets used to it the symptoms go away. Some people don't feel it at all... it just depends. Another option is to eat it with food, it alleviates the nausea. I was a diabetes educator and saw this many times when a patient would say it made them feel nauseous and they just stopped. If it's still not working for you after a couple of weeks please, please talk to your doctor. They can find something else for you that will work, although metformin is a very good drug at decreasing insulin resistance and decreasing liver glucose output into the bloodstream. I understand that metformin also is prescribed with PCOS patients as well because it works in other ways... I saw a lady once that was on metformin, had PCOS, but was not insulin resistant. I'm not sure in the mechanism with that, but have seen it. As always, consult your doctor when making a health change, especially if you show signs of being insulin resistant.... or better yet, see a nutritionist... they would know more about it and how to manage.
  • deneenae
    deneenae Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    oh and a nice perk about metformin is that in some people it can help you lose weight initally. It won't for long-term, though. I think some studies put it at 8% weight reduction in the first few months. That paired with healthier eating/exercise will definitely help. Anything helps, right?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It made me sick, but that did go away. I tapered on it, and I definitely eat with it (except what I take right before going to bed). I was just barely overweight and losing on my own, and my graph looks crazy after the Metformin started. It definitely took off about 10 lbs over the first couple of months before that stopping!

It made me lose my appetite a lot at very first, too. Like the first week. That can be good... or bad! Meh, it was temporary. I also have bad GERD, so my stomach is quite sensitive. Pepto Bismal helps when I take the Met without eating.

Metformin helps with other hormones than just insulin for us PCOS women. So it can help with other symptoms as well. I also take Prometrium progesterone for PCOS and endometriosis.

I do what I can to get my blood sugar down on my own, too. I'm medium-carb (about 150-175g), allowing low glycemic load carbs more freely, and a small treat or two a day of 'bad' carbs :) I have a terrible sweet tooth, so there ya go! There are some yummy sweets I make that aren't bad anyway, like fruit bran muffins with butter on top for flavor. Yum! The bran or oatmeal is what really helps, and many fruits are great to eat (fiber). I do recommend getting familiar with glycemic loads as they help a ton. Beans and lentils are wonderful for BG issues, and tasty in Tuscan stews, etc :)

I like to eat my quick carb treats before I run a short while with my dog, and that clears out the glucose nicely. About 20 minutes of easy yet brisk exercise indoors also works. If I eat a plate of pasta or anything heavy-carb, I always exercise right after!

I check my blood sugar 4 times a day, more if I eat poorly, so that helps me know exactly how things stand. My numbers are very good. My doctor is pleased! I'm diabetic without the Metformin, though. Not badly diabetic, but still. I was pre-diabetic for about a year before my levels went higher without changing anything (mainly due to the 'dawn effect' overnight), so do take it as a red flag. I wish I'd done the Metformin sooner! And those quick extra 10 lbs helped a lot :grin: I was only on a 0.5 lb/week schedule, lol. I hit goal weight much sooner.
  • bunnerfly
    bunnerfly Posts: 197 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yeah I'm having some nausea. I'm limiting my carb intake to 50-100g per day, and only complex carbs or some fruit. No white sugar, potatoes, enriched flour, etc... I'm not expecting the metformin to work as a weight loss aid, so I'm instead relying on reducing those carbs, since reducing general calories isn't working very well.

I'm on day 2 of limiting carbs and having no sugar, and I'm feeling it. Before, probably 60-70% of my calories came from carbs, and now I'm down to about 35%. No pop, sugar, candy, baked goods... Ugh. This morning I woke up craving cinnamon rolls and waffles with syrup. I've had a headache, and I've been kinda tired. I'm sure it's sugar withdrawal.

Oh well. We'll see how things go!
  • cafeaulait7
    Options
    Aw, man! Well, those carb goals are awesome for blood sugar issues, so great job! If my BG gets harder to control, I'll be dropping much lower myself, much as I'd hate to have to do it, lol.
  • bunnerfly
    bunnerfly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Oh man... The stomach troubles have increased. Have you found anything to help with the diarrhea? I'm taking the metformin with food, but it hasn't helped. Will it go away as I get used to it?
  • aspdenbrae
    aspdenbrae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm actually a pharmacist and have multiple friends and family members with PCOS, it sucks, like a lot!

Metformin is generally really tough to get started with but taper it every few weeks. For the love of all that is holy do not take it on an empty stomach. You can also lessen the adverse reactions through proper diet, if you eat a bunch of candy the drug has more work to do therefore the ADRs (adverse reactions) will be worse. Please see a diabetic educator, they are truly worth their weight in gold. As well establish eating times and stick to them, breakfast at 8, lunch at 1, dinner at 6, for example. Find what works best for your schedule.

I explain it like this to patients: A few weeks/month of upset stomach and learning to curb poor food behaviours is nothing compared to pricking your finger and injecting insulin 8 times a day. Make no mistake, if you fail to control it now then full out type II diabetes will happen.

If you have any questions about your dosages or drugs please fell free to message me privately.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @bunnerfly there is great advice on getting used to metformin all over this thread. Yes it indeed gets better over time and your body adjusts. In fact I had some trouble with constipation when I went off metformin after significant weight loss.

You might ask your pharmacist or your doctor if you can reduce your dosage temporarily and then slowly increase it to the prescribed dosage.

Metformin has all sorts of hidden metabolic benefits. My dad, who was on meformin for many years, had to go off it and misses it. Insulin is a much finer balancing act.
  • cafeaulait7
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The Pepto Bismal works for diarrhea, too. Even quicker is Immodium, but Pepto is better to take often, as far as I know.

It does go away, but I ended up tapering up by a quarter pill each week, no joke. I gave up on trying faster than that, lol. The slow tapering helped soooo much. And I still take it in more than one dose in a day. It's supposed to work better if you take it with meals (and I take a dose late for overnight).
  • caity_cakes_
    caity_cakes_ Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed with PCOS too a month ago. I'm 28 and have had what I realized now are symptoms of it since I was probably 19. I went from 130 then to 212 a month ago and have had problem with unwanted hair. I always just thought maybe it was bad genes and I wasn't eating the best.
    I wound up having my period for three weeks in August which led me to go to my doctor, who diagnosed me with PCOS and insulin resistance. She started me on a low dose of 500mg of metformin and I'm supposed to see her next week when she'll start me on the pill and increase the metformin dosage.
    Since I've been diagnosed, I've been working out every day and eating much healthier and watching my calorie count. I'm trying to be as proactive as possible and not leave it up to the medication. So far I'm down to 200 and would like to eventually get back down to 130 as well. I'm so happy to have stumbled onto the community board here today and see other people with the same struggles as I don't know anyone with PCOS even though it's supposed to be pretty common.
  • julialynnt
    julialynnt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey! This is a cool thread, very informative. I'm on the verge of a PCOS diagnosis. I'm like an ultrasound away from an official diagnosis, but I can't afford to go in right now. My doctor is treating it like PCOS anyway, with Metformin and birth control. My first week on the birth control and Metformin was hell, and I've heard both cause nausea so I'm not sure which ended up being the killer. Now that some of the side effects have subsided, I'm finding it much easier to make transitions.

You know, the big thing I found in my reading of 'the PCOS Diet Plan' that made a lot of sense to me was taking the carb count down just a little bit (to 45% instead of 50%) and then being very thoughtful about carb distribution. The book explains it nicely, better than I ever could. So the idea is I eat a total of about 180-190 carbs a day (I'm on a 1600 calorie count plan), then distribute 45-60 carbs per meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and then 15ish carbs each for a midmorning and midafternoon snack. I honestly think the best parts about this plan are the ease of meal-planning and helping me to eat the right things to curb my hunger during the day, but I believe the carb distribution is more about giving your poor pancreas a rest.

Have any of you found any great books or blogs on this stuff you've found helpful? I'm an information sponge. Books and blogs are helping me to feel like I can take control back in my life. I'm 23 now as we move forward with the diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure I've had it since I went through puberty (always had irregular menstrual cycle). I haven't had my period in years! Saw a doctor a few years ago and she just told me it was "hormonal imbalance due to being overweight" in this very authoritative way that made me feel like it was all my fault. It was a very negative experience for me! Now I'm here... looking for like-diagnosed folks and support. :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You just gotta cut carbs. Start with 100 a day, and work down to 70-80. Then u can stop metformin.