Running - How do you tell if the shoes are right or wrong?

Options
izu87
izu87 Posts: 267 Member
Hello! I'm relatively new to running. I do it as my cardio after my weight lifting workouts. I run for roughly 20-30 minutes, at an average speed 10km/hr; I'm running with my Asics Gel Hawk 5 shoes. And honestly, I don't think they are problematic for me. I don't get any troubles with my legs while running, but still... I might simply not be feeling it.

There is finally a store that does running shoes fitting, but it's a 'With every pairs, you get a fitting if you buy them'. (Seriously stupid - no buying, no fitting). And their shoes are quite pricey for my country. So, I'm tempted to go get fitted, but this means buying an expensive pair of shoes.

So I'm wondering if it's worth it. How do you tell if a pair of shoes are right or wrong?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    If you are aren't feeling any aches or pains I would say your shoes are absolutely fine.

This may help: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/how-to-buy-the-right-running-shoes - probably lots more info out there.
  • izu87
    Options
    Thanks!

Sometimes I feel pain. But it's quite rare - my calf would lock up, or my bad ankle would hurt. But usually I give it to a bad stretch/warm up or to overworking these muscles during the weight training.
  • kimjacques2
    kimjacques2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Are there no other sports shops who will do a free gait analysis? I know we're all in different parts of the world but here in the UK there are quite a few places!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    If you are aren't feeling any aches or pains I would say your shoes are absolutely fine.

This may help: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/how-to-buy-the-right-running-shoes - probably lots more info out there.

Great link,...thanks! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Interestingly with all the technological changes in running shoes over the last 30 or 40 years rates of injuries for runners haven't changed that much.

Having a shoe that fits properly is probably the most important aspect according to research conducted at the University of Calgary....

ucalgary.ca/knes/news_Niggbook

• marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Go in, get fitted, and pay the money for a new pair of good running shoes. Smaller running shoes stores are the way to go. They will see how your foot strikes, your running pattern, take into consideration your arches, etc. Its totally worth it. I worked in a general shoe store and would highly recommend having someone do the shopping for you. Best wishes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Go in, get fitted, and pay the money for a new pair of good running shoes. Smaller running shoes stores are the way to go. They will see how your foot strikes, your running pattern, take into consideration your arches, etc. Its totally worth it. I worked in a general shoe store and would highly recommend having someone do the shopping for you. Best wishes.

Why? OP has a good pair shoes that are not causing any problems.
    Fittings are great. I do suggest them for someone who is going out to buy a pair for the first time and don't know what to look for or for someone who is experiencing issues. But they also aren't an exact science either.
    The best shoe is the one that works for you. Sounds like OP's shoes are just fine. Why take the risk of spending money on new shoes and a fitting only to risk getting a shoe that doesn't work for them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    if your shoes are inappropriate, you'll feel it...
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    ^ yup!

Keep running, enjoy it. If you start to feel any persistent problem, then go in for a fitting. When you get your next pair (shoes do wear out!) then go in a fitting. In the meantime... have fun!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bad shoes might be obvious or might not be. They might not hurt while wearing them, but throw your body off in other ways. In my case they over corrected for a slight pronation. The 2nd pair I got 9 months later was more extreme than the previous pair. I finally decided to take them back after a month. The 3rd salesman identified the prob (that the shoes over corrected for the degree of prob I had). Only then when 10 months of hip pain disappeared overnight did I realize the first pair also had been a prob. In addition my feet were evaluated by 2 different stores on the same day and the came up with 2 completely different results re my type of arch. One used an electronic pad and the other a non- electronic pressure sensitive pad only. When I questioned the results the rep pointed out features on my foot vs his foot that showed why their pad(non-electronic) was correct. He must have been right because ad I said the issues I'd been having for nearly a year disappeared. This was a reputable store and the original fitting was by the manager do of course you expect that they are doing it correctly. I walk much more than I run and I told each rep that. Dome shoes work got both snd dome of not. The 2nd time I was given shoes that were not appropriate for walking. Of course I didn't know this at the time. Now I've become more informed about these things do next time I'll have a better idea what to insist on. This was all new territory for me which shy I went to a reputable store and accepted the 'experts' advice.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the typos!
  • izu87
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers!

The problem is that there is a SINGLE store here that does this. And you can't get fitted unless you buy...

I know that you might get injured even if you don't feel it right away, and that kind of worries me. What if my rare pains, turn out to be something major later on? I might be over-thinking and freaking out, but I'm now committing to longer and faster runs, so I just don't know...
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I recently got fitted. I didn't start having problems with my previous shoes until a few months in. After getting fitted I feel so much better. Your shoes should feel like you're not even wearing shoes if you have the right pair. I didn't have to buy the shoes but I did because they did an excellent job and the fitting was free. I saved my box and plan on buying my next pair through Amazon. Perhaps consider this first pair as an investment and buy the same shoe somewhere else the next time.
  • izu87
    Options
    I might do so.

Thank you all for the tips and your words!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    izu87 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your answers!

The problem is that there is a SINGLE store here that does this. And you can't get fitted unless you buy...

I know that you might get injured even if you don't feel it right away, and that kind of worries me. What if my rare pains, turn out to be something major later on? I might be over-thinking and freaking out, but I'm now committing to longer and faster runs, so I just don't know...

I've had issues that I solved with shoes before. They aren't typically the type of injury that will turn out to be major right away.
    And like I mentioned earlier, getting fitted doesn't mean you will be definitely in the "right" shoe either. It does not guarantee the recommended shoes won't cause you problems.
    I think you are overthinking this.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm relatively new to running. I do it as my cardio after my weight lifting workouts. I run for roughly 20-30 minutes, at an average speed 10km/hr; I'm running with my Asics Gel Hawk 5 shoes. And honestly, I don't think they are problematic for me. I don't get any troubles with my legs while running, but still... I might simply not be feeling it.

There is finally a store that does running shoes fitting, but it's a 'With every pairs, you get a fitting if you buy them'. (Seriously stupid - no buying, no fitting). And their shoes are quite pricey for my country. So, I'm tempted to go get fitted, but this means buying an expensive pair of shoes.

So I'm wondering if it's worth it. How do you tell if a pair of shoes are right or wrong?

I recently took up running and went from running up to 5k per run three times a week to running up to 10k three times a week.

Running more than 5k at a time I found that my old running shoes where not ideal. I was getting repetitive knee pain from the longer runs.

I forked out the extra cash for a proper pair of shoes - HOKA clifton 2's - I would class myself as the heavier runner. It's the best thing I have done for a long while.

I would say if you are not getting any aches or pains stick with what you have. If you are not feeling it, that may just be a simple case of making some 'small' adjustments to your stride. Your stride is your stride work with what you have.

For myself I changed up how much I was landing on my heel and that made a big difference.

• Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You need to pick a shoe that doesn't cause any pain. Not all feet are the same, and not one shoe works for everyone.
    Found out, the best shoes that work for me are arched soles with extra padding for my equines deformity. But my husband, having tried the arched soles, didn't like them.
    He sticks with walking shoes while I go for running cross training shoes, even though I don't run.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I recently took up running and went from running up to 5k per run three times a week to running up to 10k three times a week.

Running more than 5k at a time I found that my old running shoes where not ideal. I was getting repetitive knee pain from the longer runs.

I forked out the extra cash for a proper pair of shoes - HOKA clifton 2's - I would class myself as the heavier runner. It's the best thing I have done for a long while.

I would say if you are not getting any aches or pains stick with what you have. If you are not feeling it, that may just be a simple case of making some 'small' adjustments to your stride. Your stride is your stride work with what you have.

For myself I changed up how much I was landing on my heel and that made a big difference.

I bought the Hoka Bondi 4. Awesome shoes. No more pain in my feet. The best investment I made in walking shoes.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I will tell you this right now and my bruised up knee would agree....regardless of what countless beach goers say....flip flops are a terrible running choice...for one managing them to actually stay on...I could barely get to a brisk pace at any time...then it happened...going down hill...oh I flipped...and i flopped...right onto my thigh...flip flops went one way and I went the other....terrible...just terrible.