Hit The 50 Pound Mark Today (For The Most Part With Exercise)

Options
As of today, I have lost 50 pounds. Still have another 25 to go, but I'm two thirds of the way there.

I have been watching what I eat somewhat, but attribute this for the most part to exercise. I increased my activity level from absolutely nothing to walking on average 7 miles per day (average of half of that being 4mph+ walks) over the past 9 months or so. I do try to eat more nutritious foods, but I have always liked nutritious foods. I gained the weight by decreasing my activity level to nothing over a 20 year period, so I figured I would try doing the reverse and it seems to be working quite well so far, and I have absolutely no doubt that I will reach my goal over the next 6 months.

I know a lot of people think exercise counts for very little or nothing, but to me it's just as (if not more) important, because it makes you healthy, and allows you a much more satisfying diet without going over your calories. It also makes your body more efficient at burning calories and increases your fitness level.

Replies

• blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Great job! Keep it up!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • bekkadillon
    bekkadillon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    You ROCK!!!
  • amyb12015
    amyb12015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow that's great, what kind of foods have u been eating?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The best diet out there is simply the one you can stick to forever. I believe it really does need to be a lifestyle change. You figured out what got you into this mess and chose the easiest course of action to get yourself out of it. That sounds like a fantastic plan. Great job and keep it up. I too have not doubt you will reach your goal.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Great job on your weight loss!!!

I don't think it's that people think that exercise "counts for very little". It's just that it's only one part of the equation. You could walk 100 miles a day, but if you eat more than whatever that 100 mile walk burned off, you're not going to lose weight.

Exercise has a myriad of health benefits. Also, including exercise in your plan can make it more sustainable (i.e. for people who don't get a lot of calories per day, and want to be able to eat more so that they're not hangry all the time :wink: ). But the fact is that it IS possible to lose weight without doing any exercise. You chose to incorporate it and it's obviously working, so keep it up!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Exercise has been the key for you to turn things around. I, too, find it impossible to lose weight without exercise. Even a little bit of burn adds to the deficit. Plus, the more I exercise, the more active i can be overall, further contributing to burn. Because exercise is difficult for me, after I exercise I don't want to eat unhealthy things, or overeat. Way to go!!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you ! Congrats on the 50# weight loss ....... never give up, never surrender !
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    As of today, I have lost 50 pounds. Still have another 25 to go, but I'm two thirds of the way there.

Congratulations! I know how great that feels. When I jumped on the scale on my 51st birthday I had lost a total of 51 pounds. It was the best birthday ever. Like you I have another 25 or so to go.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Great testimonial! Congrats! People can argue all day over the individual merits of calories, macros, or physical activity but it is the thing that YOU ACTUALLY DO with consistency to create a deficit that gets the whole party started. xoL
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Focusing on exercise worked for me too. I was maintaining 152 lbs at 1500 calories because I was completely sedentary. Then I started eating 1700 and moving A LOT. No hunger necessary. Lost 28 lbs so far and still eating that much at 124 lbs and still losing.

That's why the popular anthem of 'weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise' is BS to me. If you need a 500 calorie deficit, you either take it from your food or add it to exercise or a combination of both. Same difference. Obviously, the assumption is that diet is mainly whole/unprocessed food.

I'm glad I went the exercise route because, if I'd focused on restricting calories, I'd be thinner yes, but not as fit and healthy as I am today from all the exercise. Maintenance is a piece of cake because I'm now accustomed to being active and I don't feel good if I go 2 days without exercise. And the more active you are, the more flexible you can be with diet.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Cardio-type exercise sometimes gets a bad rap. OF COURSE it helps you lose weight! It burns calories. Anything that burns them is going to be helpful. But it's good for you in many other ways, too. Even if you weren't losing weight, it would be a good idea to do it.

I put exercise in my top three helpful things. :)

Congrats on your loss! You should be very proud!!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I have been watching what I eat somewhat, but attribute this for the most part to exercise. I increased my activity level from absolutely nothing to walking on average 7 miles per day (average of half of that being 4mph+ walks) over the past 9 months or so. I do try to eat more nutritious foods, but I have always liked nutritious foods. I gained the weight by decreasing my activity level to nothing over a 20 year period, so I figured I would try doing the reverse and it seems to be working quite well so far, and I have absolutely no doubt that I will reach my goal over the next 6 months.

Nice. I've lost weight that way in the past and did at the very beginning of this weight loss. It's also how I maintain. That I also gained due to decreasing activity is probably why it works for me. Also, I tend to have an easier time eating better when I'm exercising, as it makes me conscious of the benefits of doing so and also makes me happier.
    I know a lot of people think exercise counts for very little or nothing, but to me it's just as (if not more) important, because it makes you healthy, and allows you a much more satisfying diet without going over your calories. It also makes your body more efficient at burning calories and increases your fitness level.

I don't think it makes yoru body more efficient at burning calories (it does, of course, burn calories), but otherwise I agree. I think you are misinterpreting many of the people (including me) who have argued with you in the past, though. The point is that most people who aren't also doing something to keep calories down (even if it's just being more conscious or watching food choice or portion size) can easily wipe out a deficit, and that as you get closer to goal it's harder to say that you can just be active and eat what you like and you'll lose (well, unless you are a glutton, which was the word choice which made your posts controversial before, if memory serves).

Anyway, congrats.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

Exercise makes it so much easier to stay under the calories, and for me it was harder than just dieting.

I struggled for months just getting to the point where I could start getting a training effect. When I started, I would have to lay down after walking only a mile at a 3 to 3.5 mph pace, but I just kept paining my way through it, and pushing myself a little more each time. Now I can go for 6 miles at a 4.2 mph pace, and am able to get training effects of 4.0 to 5.0. Today I did 4.5 miles at a 4.3 mph pace, and got a training effect of 5.0.

It was a long hard road for me, and it is now paying off in a big way.

I still count my calories, and stay under, but I burn so many that I usually have way more than I ever eat in a day, and some weeks I lose 2 pounds instead of 1.

Anyway, thank you all, and I wish you all the best in whatever path you choose to get where you're going.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    For the sake of any newcomers who may read this, I just want to clarify that everyone on these boards acknowledges that exercise can play a part in weight loss, and of course it can do amazing things for cardiovascular and bone health, as well as your overall fitness and sense of well-being. But as great as exercise is, weight loss itself is primarily about reducing calories.

For those who are unable to exercise at all, or able to exercise only in a limited way due to physical disabilities or other health issues, it's important to point out that weight loss is mainly about reducing the calories you take in. Achieving success in weight loss is absolutely possible, even given physical limitations!

Exercise plays a significant role when it comes to maintaining weight loss, as analysis of the lifestyle changes made by people who have successfully kept weight off long-term has shown. The National Weight Control Registry tracks 10,000 people who have successfully maintained a weight loss of at least 30 pounds for more than one year. On average, registry members have lost an average of 66 lbs and kept it off for 5.5 years. 90% of registry members exercise about 1 hour per day, with the most frequent form of activity reported as walking*. Maintenance, though, is a different game than weight loss - as our own MFP maintainers can attest.

As much as I dislike many aspects of the MFP boards, I genuinely appreciate the fact that the message, "weight loss is mainly about calories. Exercise is great, but exercise is secondary" tends to be clear and consistent.

Congratulations on your loss, and it's excellent that you found something that works for you.

*If anyone reading this has successfully maintained a weight loss of at least 30 pounds for a year or more and you'd like your voice and experience to be included among those participating on the National Weight Control Registry, you can check out their website and research here. There's a link on that page for joining the study if you wish: nwcr.ws/

Also for the sake of any newcomers, a calorie burned through exercise helps you lose weight just as much as a calorie not eaten. Weight loss is not about reducing calories but about creating a calorie deficit. Whether you create that deficit by eating less, exercising more, or a combination of the two does not matter. As long as calories burned > calories eaten. Simple math.

I find a calorie deficit is FAR easier to achieve for me when I run and the other health benefits I get from exercise are icing on the cake (which I can eat because of all the calories I burn).

Congrats to the OP, you've done a great job! Don't let anyone tell you that your exercising isn't key to your success.

It doesn't have to be done through exercise, but for you, me, and many others it is.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Congrats! Job well done!