1200 calories and exercise?

Options
So the general rule is don't go under 1200 as it'll cause your body to go into starvation mode and store fat etc?
If I go to the gym and burn 800 calories would I have to then eat 2000?
Since dieting a few weeks ago my stomach has shrunk and my apetite is tiny (used to be huge so I'm pleased with that and don't want it to go up) and so I don't want to be eating loads again and stretching it back out.
And also don't want to be eating the wrong things. Generally been eating chicken bites, tuna sandwiches and protein shakes.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1200 is the low end suggestion for women. It is far too low for a male, especially a 22 year old male. You should be looking at going no lower than 1500.

The stomach shrinking thing is a myth.
  • tomhurst
    tomhurst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ah well my apetite has definitely shrunk! So if it was 1500 then, and I burnt 800 at the gym, would I need 2300?
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Know that gym machines often overestimate calorie burns, that being said, most of the advice I've seen on here say to eat back about 50-75% of calories burned. So if you burn 800 at the gym, maybe eat back about 400, making your net total for the day 1100.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MFP works by keeping a calorie deficit for weight loss 7 days a week, and if you log exercise it gives you more food to restore the original deficit.
  • tomhurst
    tomhurst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Know that gym machines often overestimate calorie burns, that being said, most of the advice I've seen on here say to eat back about 50-75% of calories burned. So if you burn 800 at the gym, maybe eat back about 400, making your net total for the day 1100.

Sweet thanks!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    tomhurst wrote: »
    So the general rule is don't go under 1200 as it'll cause your body to go into starvation mode and store fat etc?
    Since dieting a few weeks ago my stomach has shrunk and my apetite is tiny (used to be huge so I'm pleased with that and don't want it to go up) and so I don't want to be eating loads again and stretching it back out.
    And also don't want to be eating the wrong things. Generally been eating chicken bites, tuna sandwiches and protein shakes.

Mind if I pick apart your OP just to address some areas you might want to read up on

General rule of 1200 for women and 1500 for men is based in nutritional needs, it is difficult to ensure the right nutrition on lower calories. There are exceptions for extremely short and older people but it's a good rule of thumb

Starvation mode as you are using it here does not exist. The body simply doesn't stop losing weight until it dies as many starvation victims can attest, also see Minnesota Starvation experiment. Adaptive thermogenesis is however a real thing, there might be a slow down in the rate of loss but it would be difficult to identify

How are you judging burning 800 calories at the gym...for reference my HRM shows I can burn around 100 calories in around 14 mins by running at an incline at around 10-11 km/hr (I'm 158lbs) ..just be careful of machine read outs and MFP database, you would be best to cut these in half. If using an HRM remember it's only for steady state cardio. If you're doing weights just log it as 1 cal

If you do exercise a good rule of thumb is to eat back 50% and judge your weight loss over 6-8 weeks and adjust based on how your body is doing

It is common when cutting calories for your appetite to reduce at first, but it probably won't last so develop good habits now for your nutrition

What you've generally been eating concerns me a little

Set your protein and fats as gram minimums to achieve daily ...0.6g-0.8g protein per lb bodyweight and 0.35g fat per lb bodyweight as a minimum as a starting point

Eat a wide spread of fresh vegetables

Make sure you get adequate fibre and micro nutrients

Good luck, hope it helps
  • taunto_
    taunto_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Mind if I pick apart your OP just to address some areas you might want to read up on

General rule of 1200 for women and 1500 for men is based in nutritional needs, it is difficult to ensure the right nutrition on lower calories. There are exceptions for extremely short and older people but it's a good rule of thumb

Starvation mode as you are using it here does not exist. The body simply doesn't stop losing weight until it dies as many starvation victims can attest, also see Minnesota Starvation experiment. Adaptive thermogenesis is however a real thing, there might be a slow down in the rate of loss but it would be difficult to identify

How are you judging burning 800 calories at the gym...for reference my HRM shows I can burn around 100 calories in around 14 mins by running at an incline at around 10-11 km/hr (I'm 158lbs) ..just be careful of machine read outs and MFP database, you would be best to cut these in half. If using an HRM remember it's only for steady state cardio. If you're doing weights just log it as 1 cal

If you do exercise a good rule of thumb is to eat back 50% and judge your weight loss over 6-8 weeks and adjust based on how your body is doing

It is common when cutting calories for your appetite to reduce at first, but it probably won't last so develop good habits now for your nutrition

Set your protein and fats as gram minimums to achieve daily ...0.6g-0.8g protein per lb bodyweight and 0.35g fat per lb bodyweight as a minimum as a starting point

Good luck, hope it helps

Just going to endorse this post as I feel this is very spot on. Adding to this, please note that while few days you might eat too little (either by forcing yourself to starve or by just not feeling like eating too much), what will happen is that you will end up binge eating. I don't know about you but in a binge I can easily consume 3,000 to 4,000 calories so you definitely want to avoid those binges and the best solution to avoid binges is to allow yourself a reasonable calories daily.

Good luck and stay crunchy.
  • timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can try to eat as little as you want, but you won't be able to sustain it. You will get a nasty hunger that will eat away your mental willpower and endurance. You need these for other things and doing so will kill your diet. I actually lowered my calorie deficit when I started doing sports again. That means I lose weight slower, but I get motivation from achieving new goals in the sport I do.

While I think it's helpful and important to lose weight as fast as possible, losing weight is still about endurance. Sport can lower your weight loss potential - for the short term, but will ensure success in the long run.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Good luck, hope it helps

+1 to rabbit's advice.

The winner eats the most and still loses ;)

OP -

Your goal should be to have a sustainable weight loss plan that also carries you right into maintaining your new lower weight. Eating as few calories as possible generally leads to a poor outcome, like binging at some point or gaining back the weight you lost.

If you find that your appetite isn't what it used to be, that's OK! But do make sure you hit your calorie goal. Add back higher-cal foods, like full-fat dairy, if you've cut them out.

Best of luck!

~Lyssa
  • Fruit_lover2
    Fruit_lover2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm also eating 1,200 calories and people are saying I have an " eating disorder". and that I really need help?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I'm also eating 1,200 calories and people are saying I have an " eating disorder". and that I really need help?

And what do you think? There must be a reason you believe it appropriate to eat the bare minimum for a woman...why is that?

More importantly how much weight have you lost on average over the last 6-8 weeks and what is your current height and weight
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Remember that most people's social lives revolve around eating and eating and more eating. Food places everywhere, constant snacking, the majority of the world is overweight. 1200 even on a diet would seem ridiculously low to someone who doesn't know a whole lot about calories
    See to it that you get appropriate nutrition but eating at 1200 for a while - or even forever if you're really short and lazy is not an eating disorder. Calories are not one size fits all.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ah well my apetite has definitely shrunk! So if it was 1500 then, and I burnt 800 at the gym, would I need 2300?

YES, except that most burns are overestimated, therefore it's safer to eat just a portion, say 50-75% of those exercise calories.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Why would anyone say that to you? My fitness pal puts me at 1,200 no matter what setting I chose. When I reduced it to 1 lb a week it gave me 1,210 calories so only 10 calories more. My body fat is still in the obese range and my weight/bmi overweight, but it still won't give me more calories. I have to exercise every day to enjoy a meal out on the weekend. You don't have an eating disorder, some of us are not lucky like others to be able to eat more and still lose weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to eat 2000 calories if you don't want to do that. If you're exercising, you should be able to eat a lot more than 1200 and still lose weight, though. Most people can!

I eat lots of little meals and getting hungrier between them is one of the reasons. I don't worry about my stomach expanding and contracting because it's designed for that - that's what stomachs do! - but I don't like big meals and the accompanying hunger. That's just aeros all preference thing. :)
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options

In your other thread, I think it was you, you were looking to lose weight but you're already 18.5 bmi, right? So if you lose weight you'll be underweight. It's not the 1200 kcal that made people wonder about an eating disorder but the push to lose 2 lbs a week for an already borderline underweight person.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

You are 5'2" and 105 lbs and trying to lose 2 lbs a week (if I'm remembering correctly). So.....yeah, I think an eating disorder is a legitimate concern.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Generally because they don't know what the heck they're talking about and want to play armchair psychiatrist. I used to get told on this board that I had an ED, lol. It used to be very split. Either you ate exactly the same amount of food every single day or you had an ED. The idea of eating 300 extra calories one day and 300 fewer another and taking a look at the whole week's average? Eating disorder! BED! You exercise extra to work off an indulgence? Eating disorder! Anorexic! You suggest healthy dieting is the way to go? Eating disorder! Orthorexia! Internet psychiatrists - gotta love them.

EDs are a real thing and all the BS calling people "anorexics" or Internet diagnosing disorders where they don't exist...it trivializes the very real problems those girls have.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    This
    jdleanna wrote: »

In your other thread, I think it was you, you were looking to lose weight but you're already 18.5 bmi, right? So if you lose weight you'll be underweight. It's not the 1200 kcal that made people wonder about an eating disorder but the push to lose 2 lbs a week for an already borderline underweight person.

And this

You are 5'2" and 105 lbs and trying to lose 2 lbs a week (if I'm remembering correctly). So.....yeah, I think an eating disorder is a legitimate concern.

Is why I asked this

And what do you think? There must be a reason you believe it appropriate to eat the bare minimum for a woman...why is that?

More importantly how much weight have you lost on average over the last 6-8 weeks and what is your current height and weight

Because if people weigh in and say it's totally fine without knowing the facts then the wrong, and sometimes dangerous, advice is given

Clearly someone at a BMI of borderline underweight should not be encouraged to follow a weight loss programme ...perhaps a body recomp programme though

Hard to tell as she hasn't returned
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    This
    jdleanna wrote: »

And this

Is why I asked this

Because if people weigh in and say it's totally fine without knowing the facts then the wrong, and sometimes dangerous, advice is given

Clearly someone at a BMI of borderline underweight should not be encouraged to follow a weight loss programme ...perhaps a body recomp programme though

Hard to tell as she hasn't returned

And also, is fruit lover eating back exercise calories? Because I have seen people post before that they are eating 1200 calories but netting 400, and that just wouldn't be safe. I have no idea, as I haven't seen the posts that she is referring to.