Anyone know how to make a healthy Dominos Pizza?

Options
mrtentaclenun
mrtentaclenun Posts: 179 Member
Hi, my name is MaryKate and I am addicted to Dominos Pepperoni Pizza. I could eat it all day every day [ and some weeks I will admit I have :( ] I know that eating it will be against my trying to lose weight so I am wondering if any of you knew a healthier way I could make it at home? What I love most about it I guess is the garlic crust, and how thick and yummy the crust is. I point those out because I guess in my mind all "healthy" home made pizza is going to be thin crust :(

Any ideas would be amazing, thank you!!

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Make it how you like, just make it smaller :)
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    well ... i don't know how to make it at home, but I do have an idea: you could buy 1 medium, then saran wrap each piece and throw it in a ziplock in the freezer. when the craving hits - throw 1 slice in the toaster oven and eat a REALLY BIG SALAD while it toasts.

just an idea.
  • jocelynlewis
    Options
    I don't know but I would like to know myself, if I had my choice I could eat pizza at least 4 to 5 days a week!:blushing:
  • CBKMom
    CBKMom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Here are some suggestions:

Whole wheat pizza crust
    NF Skim mozerella
    Turkey Pepperoni

This is what I do when I just really want some pizza.

I add a ton of fresh veggies and some turkey sausage for variation.

Good luck
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I've bought Boboli pizza crusts in the past, sprayed a light coating of I can't believe its not butter spray, sprinkle garlic powder (not garlic salt) on the crust, used low sodium pizza sauce, skim milk mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni. It was good.
  • lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You can use thin whole wheat crust and sprinkle garlic salt on it (or better yet, make your OWN dough and add the garlic flavoring yourself!)You lower cal sauce, skim/low fat cheese, and turkey pepperoni!
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I use bagels for homemade pizza. You could put a little bit of sauce on, sprinkle some garlic powder on, and add your toppings. You could also melt some butter and brush it on the outside of the bagel and sprinkle garlic powder on it before baking. Good luck. Pizza is definately my weakness so I try to find ways of making it a little bit healthier by making it at home.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I use bagels for homemade pizza. You could put a little bit of sauce on, sprinkle some garlic powder on, and add your toppings. You could also melt some butter and brush it on the outside of the bagel and sprinkle garlic powder on it before baking. Good luck. Pizza is definately my weakness so I try to find ways of making it a little bit healthier by making it at home.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is MaryKate and I am addicted to Dominos Pepperoni Pizza. I could eat it all day every day [ and some weeks I will admit I have :( ] I know that eating it will be against my trying to lose weight so I am wondering if any of you knew a healthier way I could make it at home? What I love most about it I guess is the garlic crust, and how thick and yummy the crust is. I point those out because I guess in my mind all "healthy" home made pizza is going to be thin crust :(

Any ideas would be amazing, thank you!!

Have you tried Boboli premade whole wheat crusts? I think they are pretty good and they are not cracker thin, though if you haven't had whole wheat crusts before you will notice the difference. They have a "heavier" taste, and just as many calories so strictly from a weight loss point of view I guess they are not much better. But whole wheat is better for your metabolism than regular crusts. And you could paint the crust with olive oil and sprinkle with granulated garlic to get the garlic crust taste. Use reduced fat turkey pepperoni and 2% milk cheese to reduce the saturated fat and calories. It's not going to taste like Dominos, but it's really quite good.
  • cskalaj
    cskalaj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A whole small pepperoni pizza from dominos is only just over 1,200 calories...everyone I'm sure will attack me for saying that, but if that's REALLY ALL you ate each day...you could do it. If you exercised, you might also be able to have a small dessert ;)
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    sounds like most of us are on the same page with this one.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Hmmm!! That is a really hard one. It is hard when you have a particularly hard craving that going completely without for the rest of your life seems like no fun either. I am not a proponent of using food as a reward, let's face it, that's what starts issues with food. If you are having issues with that try making it a once a week goal if you do well the rest of the week, or if you push yourself to work out extra hard all week. You might find that if you make the work really hard it might not be worth the reward and help you nix it all together. Remember, everything in moderation will help. I do believe in trigger foods though, (those foods that once you start, you can't stop eating) those are the ones you need to avoid.

Best wishes
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    if you actually order from dominos, you can get the thin crust, tomato sauce, light on the cheese, and veggies on top.
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    A whole small pepperoni pizza from dominos is only just over 1,200 calories...everyone I'm sure will attack me for saying that, but if that's REALLY ALL you ate each day...you could do it. If you exercised, you might also be able to have a small dessert ;)

My kind of diet. Essentially it is calories in, calories out.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

Hmm

Meat, dairy, tomato (fruit!) and grains. Sounds like a meal to me! Hahaha
  • bhepp
    bhepp Posts: 44
    Options
    The pillsbury pizza dough is my favorite, sprinkle some corn meal on the bottom of the pan since that is what they use. I like to brush some oil on the crust and sprinkle some garlic spread on it then bake it before I add the toppings, that way it will be crispy. then use marinara sauce, part skim mozzarella and some pepperoni. It will be a great alternative to ordering in :smile:
  • makeachange22
    Options
    well making it thin crust is the best option without thin crust your adding a CRAP load of extra calories within the bread alone
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I make my pizzas on small wheat tortillas. With a couple of teaspoons of pizza sauce, fat free mozzarella cheese, sliced cherry tomatoes and either the mini pepperoni's or morning star italian sausage crumbled up. Put 'em on a tray, put foil over them and bake them for like.. 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted. So good.
  • Eloveg
    Eloveg Posts: 25
    Options
    Here are several options:

1. Try the Pilsbury refrigerated dough and when you roll it out on the pan. Than you can brush with olive oil and garlic powder, onion powder, orgeano & basil.

2. Get fresh dough from either Trader Joes, Whole Foods or Publix. It comes in either wheat or white and before you roll it out, you can season with garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil....all of your dry herbs & a little olive oil.

Also put down a little corn meal before you roll it out as well...it makes it taste better and helps it to crisp up.
    Hope this helps!
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    check out hungrygirl.com....she has a whole section called Pizza me. She has great pointers on making pizza n buying store bought! Hope that helps!