Alcohol and water weight

Options
How long does it usually take you to lose the water weight that comes with a night om the town?

Replies

• ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I can never win because as soon as I wake up I am pounding back the water bottles...add in the flipping huge breakfast I eat....bacon..toast...eggs..ham...turkey breast...toast...bagels and melted queso and what the heck I've practically negated whatever water weight I potentially was going to lose...sooo with that being said I'd think a couple of hours is a safe guess...no expert here but I feel most would agree
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    I had a few drinks last night and ate more than I've done for the past few days. Would guess I went 1000calories over maintenance.
    The scale showed an almost 3lbs gain this morning :'(
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    It will drop off in a couple of days. Don't fret over it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    For me, it takes about 2+days. If I go out on Saturday night, my weight will stabilize by the time I weigh Tuesday a.m.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention usually hangs around for 2-3 days.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If I haven't been eating too much salty stuff, I actually find my weight is less after having a few drinks (ETA: dehydration from the alcohol). You know that it's only water retention, try not to let the scale play mind games with you. I know, easier said than done. A few days, it should be back to normal.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'd worry less about the water weight and more about being sure you accurately log everything you eat and drink during a night on the town. If you can't log, take cell phone pictures of each plate and drink.
  • random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    3 lbs would require a 10500 calorie excess of food over your maintenance calories (i.e. more than this number). Your weight gain is almost definitely water weight. It can take several days for the weight to all fall off. The good news is it is just water weight. Other than the 1000 calories (~0.3 lbs) or how much ever you went over your maintenance level.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I experienced the exact same thing. I was prepared for it but I still get frustrated. I've been so diligent for 10 weeks. Had 3 drinks last night for 3lbs and Saturday night I will have a couple more drinks. After that I will get back on track. But freaking out that I'll have 6 lbs to wait to drop off just because of a couple glasses of wine.
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Quick update. It took me until Thursday (from Saturday) to drop the weight. But then it was finally all gone and then some :)