Need high protein breakfast (gluten diary free)

Options
sharonsaad
sharonsaad Posts: 2 Member
I have been drinking protein shakes for breakfast for the last 2 months. I use almond milk, 4 frozen strawberries, a cup of kale, flax seeds or Chia seeds, and chocolate flavored protein powder.
Now it is.getting cold outside and drinking a cold shake is not fun just before going outside to bring the kids to school.
Any ideas for high protein, gluten free, dairy free, full of nutrients and a quick fix for busy mornings?
My energy level is so much better when I drink my shakes. When eating toast or cereal for breakfast I would feel sluggish (hens going gluten free) and sometime jittery or nervous feeling.
Ideas welcome. I was even thinking of eating warm veggie soup but that wouldn't have much protein.

Replies

• tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try the veggie soup with some ground chicken. Or try oatmeal with protein powder mixed in (after cooking the oatmeal). I made protein pancakes yesterday and they were amazing!!!
    0.25 cup(s), Old Fashioned Rolled Oats - Dry (I put the oats into my blender and made flour of of them)
    0.25 cup(s), Cottage cheese - Lowfat, 1% milkfat
    0.50 rounded scoop (31g), Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder -
    0.50 cup, Eggs - White only, raw
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can make egg muffins or crust less quiche and keep it in the fridge or freeze. Awesome single portioned meals to just heat and eat.
  • tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I realized after I posted that recipe for the protein pancakes that you asked for dairy free. Try to substitute banana for the cottage cheese and if you can't have eggs, google protein pancakes and see what you can come up with. I found some interesting recipes with fruit and peanutbutter.
  • suttiel357
    suttiel357 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs!
    Or protein waffle:
    Vanilla Protein powder
    Baking powder
    Olive oil
    1 egg
    Cinnamon

Delicious.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs in a mug. Super quick. Grease the inside of a coffee mug. Crack an egg or two and add maybe 1 tsp water. Scramble with fork. Microwave for 40 sec. Scramble again and nuke again until cooked.

Sometimes I'll add veggies.

If you have the time, veggie omelet.
  • sharonsaad
    sharonsaad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How long does this keep you full? I find when I eat eggs I am hungry again by 10 am. Is that normal?
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As of late I've been skipping breakfast altogether. I bunch all of my calories into a small eating window. I have less many small meals and more like two nice sized ones.
    Its quick and protein rich but you will have to use a few more than1-2 eggs. When I did eat these I made a english muffin sandwich with a tbsp of salsa but going gluten-free might be harder to find an alternative.
  • athrailkill
    athrailkill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have 2 eggs & half a up of egg beaters for breakfast & it holds me well to the afternoon. You probably need a larger portion or try adding egg whites. Sometimes I'll add half an avacado to the side.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Defrost the strawberrys, warm the almond milk and have a hot/warmer protein drink in the morning? I started mixing my protein powder with hot water from our office water cooler, I like the contridiction, and it tastes and works fine.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Defrost the strawberrys, warm the almond milk and have a hot/warmer protein drink in the morning? I started mixing my protein powder with hot water from our office water cooler, I like the contridiction, and it tastes and works fine.

That would be my suggestion too --- make a big fruity dairy free hot chocolate. <3
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I decided to go gf long time ago because some of the symptoms I get are similar to yours. I dont get those symptoms with gf steel cut oatmeal, have been eating it for long time. Not sure if it will work for you but thats my suggestion.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Be careful with GF oatmeal, you can still react to that even if pure and certified. I am too frightened to try it. I had a package in the cupboard for a year and gave it away! My reactions are too severe to even try!

I would do something with more protein and fat if you are hungry more often. I went through a starving phase when I went off gluten and dairy 6 years ago. I had to balance my meals very well, to have fat and protein first and then some carbs but fewer. Trial and error will tell you what you can handle.

Egg casseroles with plenty of fats, whatever you like to put in an omelette. You can do leftovers from dinner, or make a big batch of a mild chicken soup or egg drop soup that you enjoy. You can also make the eggs into muffins in a muffin tin, or I have used silicone baking cups. I usually have an egg dish, a fruit and a tomato or V8 for breakfast if I eat it. I often fast until after it's "lunch" time so I am fine with anything by that point. But I never wake up hungry I am not doing that on purpose. I also have made breakfast lettuce wraps with egg salad and ham or bacon bits, deviled eggs, plain hardboiled eggs, leftover sausage and sweet potatoes made into a hash, dinner leftovers, or something as simple as a piece of chicken and some V8 juice.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You can make egg muffins or crust less quiche and keep it in the fridge or freeze. Awesome single portioned meals to just heat and eat.

Would egg muffin or quiche last 5 days in fridge ? Do you have recipes for both? Thanks :)
  • skincaregirl66
    skincaregirl66 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i pop my egg muffins in small baggies then freeze them just pop them out when i leave the house and nuke when i get to work it works out great! I have done the same thing with egg type casseroles etc single serving in bags right in the freezer.