Weigh-ins

Options
sotero240
sotero240 Posts: 33 Member
edited October 2015 in Motivation and Support
I have a question for the group, when you first started your weight loss journey how often did you weigh yourself and how long was it before the numbers on the scale made a noticeable decline? The scale has always been my nemesis and when I don't see a real decline I get disappointed. I have researched experts thoughts on how often you should weigh yourself and opinions range from daily (taking a weekly average) and weekly (same day and time). Thoughts advice direction??

Replies

• MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every couple of days just to make sure I'm not gaining but i only log once a week on Saturdays
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost every day and log every loss. My weight bounces all over the place but always clusters around the "new" low when I get one. I don't like to miss them :).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you freak out from daily weigh-ins, weigh weekly. If weighing weekly is too seldom for you, weigh daily. It's up to you, really.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I have an "official" weigh-in first thing Sunday morning after I use the bathroom and before I get dressed. I'll usually step on the scale every morning just out of curiosity for what it says. I retain a varying amount of water so the weight reported by the scale goes up and down. I record my weight once per week IF it is lower. If it isn't, I just wait to record it when it is lower.

I only weight that often because the scale doesn't bother me. I don't really care what today's reported weight is, only that it trends downward over time. If it does bother you, I suggest that you only weight once per week or even once every two weeks.

My goal is to log my food as accurately as possible and come close to my calorie (and macro) goals. The scale can do whatever it wants because my weight will trend downwards as long as I keep my calories where I want them to be.
  • sotero240
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, I have determined that less is more for me when it comes to the scale. I'm going to stick to weekly weigh ins.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I weigh almost every day and log every loss. My weight bounces all over the place but always clusters around the "new" low when I get one. I don't like to miss them :).

Glad I'm not the only one like that. I know for sure my legit loss when it jumps and clusters between that lower number.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I weighed almost every day, but only logged and "counted" my weight once a week.

The reason I weighed every day --sometimes more than once a day--was that for me, it was part of learning my body. I felt so out of touch with my own body that it was part of developing a bit more mindfulness--and kindfulness--towards my body by better understanding it.

I wanted to know, for example:
    --Do weigh less the day after a workout? (sometimes, but not always)
    --Do I weigh less when I wake up hungry? (No.)
    --Do sugar or salt or alcohol or meat or bread affect my short term weight, and for how long?(yes--sodium and alcohol will make my weight jump 2 -4 lbs for about 2 days; sugar,meat and bread no particular effect on short term weight).
    --What is the difference between my morning and evening weight? (About 3 lbs).
    --What is the difference in my weight before and after my morning constitutional? (about 1 -1.5 lb)
    --what's the difference attributed to my menstrual cycle? (About 4 lbs)

While it may sound like I was obsessed with the scale, tracking my weight so closely for about 6 months actually helped me let go of "the number" and how it affected how I felt about myself on a particular day because I came to a much better understanding how my weight fluctuates under different conditions (as much as 6 lbs over the course of a week!).

Now I weigh once a week on Tuesdays--because another thing I found out in that 6 months is that I tend to weight less on Tuesdays!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you can mentally handle before it makes you want to quit. I had to take time away from the scale last year because I was letting it dictate too much of my life.

Try to focus on non-scale victories like inches lost, clothes fitting looser, able to complete physical tasks that you couldn't before (like running a mile non-stop or increase the weights you use during strength training), and being able to make better food choices or eating accurate portion sizes. Those things are more motivating for me than the scale because I may lose a few pounds a month but I dropped a clothing size and people compliment on how well I look. Vain maybe, but super encouraging!
  • sotero240
    Options
    Thanks