Catching colds more frequently while weight training on a deficit?

Options
I definitely notice that it takes more days to recover between workouts while on a calorie deficit, but I also wonder about the impact on the immune system. I'm lucky enough to only catch a cold about once a year, but I've started an unusually intense (for me anyway) weights and cardio regime that I plan to continue for two months on a 15% calorie deficit, so is there anything I need to worry about here or do to mitigate the risk?

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken the time to look for peer-reviewed research related to this, but especially if you get into a "heavy" intensity range it does wear on your body more especially your nervous system. It's quite possible that if you're recovery is off, you happen to have the bacteria / virus for something, that the training could wear you down to the point where your body can't fight-off what you have. Since nutrition is part of recovery, it seems reasonable that a deficit and intense training could result in you getting sick. If you have kids they're bringing *kitten* home from school or if you work with people that have kids they're catching it and passing it on to you, it's a nasty circle. LOL! It's happened to me, a good friend of mine is into Olympic liting, and a couple other powerlifters I know have had this happen too. Just be conscientious of your recover and do the best you can really, sometimes if you're going to get sick you're just going to get sick.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Like the ^^^^. In addition if you don't want to up your calories, which is what I would do, throw a multi- vitamin in the mix.
    People are bad at cleaning off equipment after use, where I go anyway, clean before using, always. Have your own hand sanitizer with you too. Just in case.

Cheers, h.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    very true, no one cleaned after themselves in the gym I used to go to. I now workout at home, so not a problem anymore, but I do feel a bit lonely working out now :'(
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Reduce number of workouts per week.
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, certain types of lifting can be very taxing on your CNS. Additionally, if you are in a severe caloric deficit you may be overtraining, which can bring on a host of problems including illness.