I think I'm a food addict

Options
I'm over weight now. When i was a kid i was fairly skinny. After being depressed and using food to alter my mood i now find i think about food all the time. When i was a kid i never thought about food the way I do now.

It feels like an addiction maybe. Feel I will be free of it. They put junk everywhere. When walking around town restaurants blow the smell of good into the street. It's just everywhere.

I've lost weight but just find the whole thing very hard.

If I was king i'd ban junk food

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Long live King RichardD83!
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't know - once I classified that stuff as bad, I don't really crave it.

My goal is so important to me, that junk is merely a threat now.

I think the key is really embracing your health and your body.

R
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love food but I have learned moderation! Moderation is king! Lol
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    What seems to be working for me is keeping my deficit low, (no going hungry), and for a period of time, abstaining from any foods I considered to be a trigger, replacing them with healthier "treats". I have had a few of my trigger foods in small amounts and although my cravings increased after having them, the cravings were not crazy strong, and besides, I was ready for them.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    RichardD83 wrote: »
    I'm over weight now. When i was a kid i was fairly skinny. After being depressed and using food to alter my mood i now find i think about food all the time. When i was a kid i never thought about food the way I do now.

It feels like an addiction maybe. Feel I will be free of it. They put junk everywhere. When walking around town restaurants blow the smell of good into the street. It's just everywhere.

I've lost weight but just find the whole thing very hard.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I have the same craving for food as I did for a cigarette before I quit.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Dang man. Quit whining and look up IIFYM. You're a man. You can conquer food.....
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Food cravings are really bad, sometimes that food is in my mouth before I have even realised its in my hand! My brain just constantly thinks about food aargh! There is a junk food monster in there demanding to be fed

I have learned a couple of things though, 1. the monster can never be tamed - there is no off switch for junk food - you can eat it all day and your brain never actually says 'yep I've had enough' and 2. if I stop feeding my junk food monster it quietens down and goes to sleep.

Are you still feeling depressed? Are you taking medication for it? That can cause food cravings too.

• last_jennifer
    last_jennifer Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I so can relate. My sister eats for survival and I eat for pleasure. However, all that pleasure has poisoned my body. The thought of saying no to certain foods makes me sad. So I am just learning how to do it all in moderation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    RichardD83 wrote: »

I can't drink, but I don't think that means no one else should be able to.

I don't really care for fast food or packaged stuff like chips or sweets (I do love homemade baked goods, ice cream, and really good quality chocolate, and plenty of other higher cal foods like pulled pork and good cheese). Becoming something of a food snob might make me annoying (although I generally don't express my preferences to others), but it makes eating well somewhat easier.

One thing is to focus on eating foods that are delicious that also aren't such a calorie hit or so easy to overeat. I love food, and that includes my usual healthy meals with lots of vegetables. If I fill my diet with that, I'm less likely to want other things, and can fit it in as extras when I have the calories -- for example, I eat ice cream most nights, in a reasonable quantity after three nutrient dense meals.

I think one reason people get in trouble is they tell themselves they need to eat boring "diet" foods to lose weight and none of the foods they love the most and then when they do they tell themselves they've spoiled it and overeat and feel bad which perpetuates the cycle. What worked for me was just thinking really rationally about food and nutrition and deciding that if I'm going to eat a high cal item, it's going to be something amazing (like a piece of homebaked pie, which I eat pretty rarely, or a small square of really excellent chocolate) vs. some mediocre sweet that just happens to be around. For me counting calories has made me eat much more mindfully.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Food or junk food? Junk food is made to be addictive, so don't be too hard on yourself if you feel addicted to junk food. For some of us, it's best to avoid it as much as possible, and learn to cook and appreciate delicious healthy food instead.

If it's ordinary food you have trouble with, you just have to stop overeating. Eating better food can make it easier to stop overeating too.
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Dang man. Quit whining and look up IIFYM. You're a man. You can conquer food.....

Wow. Way to be supportive. I don't think people benefit from being berated and told what to do. If that works for you, so be it. But the vast majority of us aren't motivated when we're told "quit whining."