HRT and weight gain

Options
Hi,

I am asking for my mum:

She is 5'7, aged 63 and has been on HRT for 10 years. In the last 7 years her weight has gone from a healthy 11 stone that has now gone up to about 16 stone. Could this weight gain be attributed to the HRT? If so, has anyone experienced this and what have you done to address it?

I have done a sample days worth of food and she doesn't seem to be eating eating too much, I would say too many ready meals and too much chocolate and biscuits, all her fluids come from tea through the day rather than straight water, but she is under on overall calories eaten. MFP gives her 1600 to lose 1lb a week and the sample day we did came in at 1300. I have asked her to keep a list for a week and will input the info next Sunday to get a better overall idea.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Not the most helpful response. I am trying to encourage her and show interest and support. If I told her to just Google it she wouldn't bother.

There seems to be conflicting info. The leaflets in the medicine packets say its a possible side effect but no definitive answer. I am hoping to get someone's personal experience.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    One doesn't gain weight from anything other than eating too much. You're not with her all the time, therefore can't possibly know what she's consuming.
  • kelwynn
    kelwynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Mistraal1981!

Two things strike me. The first is that 10 years is a long time to be on HRT and it might be time for your mom and her GYN to have a talk. I'd always heard that a woman shouldn't be on those drugs that long because of the breast cancer risks. The second is that, at least anecdotally, I've read that some women did experience weight gain on HRT because of the interaction of the estrogen subsitutes in the drugs with their hormones. I don't know if it's been "proven by science" and all that, but some women report better luck with weight loss by dropping the HRT and switching to bio-identical progesterone. There was even a group or a thread about that on MFP somewhere.

I think hormones play a huge role in weightloss. When I was 25, cutting back to 1300 calories would have had me dropping pounds 2 or 3 pounds a week, quickly and easily-- with or without exercise. Now, at 51 and after menopause, I'm eating 1300 calories (weighing and measuring every food carefully) and doing kickboxing 4X a week and strength training on the alternate days... and I'm lucky if I lose a pound a week, even though I still have 40 of them to lose!

If your mom is motivated and patient, she can do this. I think it's sweet that you're trying to support and encourage her! You are trying to be a good daughter and I know she appreciates your help. Sadly, the other posters are right: much as you want to help, she will have to be the one to commit, keep track of her calories diligently and move more. If she's definitely not a computer person, get her a calorie counting book and food scale and encourage her to really weigh and measure her food. (It has made a huge difference for me!) And definitely encourage her to see her doctor and make sure her dose is still necessary and that she's otherwise healthy. There could be a thyroid or other medical issue causing the problem.

Good luck to her and to you!
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    Thank you so much kelwynn. Would you mind telling me how tall you are so I can get an idea of 1300 calories for you.

Hopefully a week of tracking will give me a better idea of her calories and it could be that then she can see her doctor about the weight gain with some back up regarding the amounts she is eating. I know she isn't keen on stopping the HRT as the last time she tried a few years ago she went into a terrible depression, mood swings and other nasty side effects.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    She should not eat significantly under her recommended calories. That only leads to making weight loss harder if she has to do it for a long time.

She should eat less refined carbohydrates most likely. And more vegetables because they are filling.
    Less snacking. Bigger meals so that they are more satisfying but made with completley nutritious food.

If she is boredom eating then it might that factor that needs addressing.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight over 2.5 years using MFP and was very proud of myself.... then I started HRT and gained a lot of weight in a short space of time. I am now starting again with MFP and am almost at the weight I was when I started the programme first time around! Well done for trying to help your mother... My mother lost weight by joining a gentle rambling club and she also made friends. I really admired her efforts as, at that time, she had early Parkinsons.... Everyone has an individual journey - and my father in law learnt to use an ipad at 90 so it can be done! Good luck and get her that notebook so that she can record her progress :-)
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    Thank you fattiebabs, I find it really helpful to hear personal stories. Can I ask whether your medication was altered, or whether it was purely diet that helped the weight loss? Did you find it harder to lose while in the meds?
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    Anyone else with personal experience with weight gain and HRT?
  • kelwynn
    kelwynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Mistraal. I'm 5'1" with a goal of 115 pounds. Hope that helps!
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    Thank you kelwynn, yes
  • Wills820
    Wills820 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Anyone else with personal experience with weight gain and HRT?

I have been on for two months and have gained a few pounds despite keeping a consistent exercise routine and eating the same way (even maybe a little better). I'm so frustrated!
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been on HRT for five years. I'm 49. I used to have a super fast metabolism, and if I skipped dessert for a week I'd lose five pounds. I was super thin all the way until my late 30's. Menopause changed all that. I went on HRT because I'm a little young for osteoporosis.

I have to work pretty hard to lose weight now, and my friends who are the same age as me but only peri-menopausal, complain of the same symptoms (ie gain weight easily). I think its the metabolism changes more than anything. I eat about 1500 cal a day, and exercise six days a week. I am a vegetarian and I try to lay off the bread and cake and all processed foods because those make me gain weight. I eat lots of vegetables and some fruit.

I agree logging calories could help your mom, and it's great that you are trying to help her. If she is very concerned about her health (diabetes, blood pressure etc) it might be worth your while to take her to a dietician. I'm sure they must have some tools/ideas that she could use to record what she is eating and keep track. Good luck!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I concur about 10 years being a long time to be on HRT. Increased appetite may be a side effect because of the therapy itself or the possible side effects, or overeating could be the result of some of the potential side effects like depression. Also the age at which most women are having HRT is an age when they are typically losing lean body mass each year as well.

Here's an article about some types of HRT, the length of therapy and some associated health risks.