Big Girl Yoga

Options
Has anyone been to a big girl yoga class?
There is one that just opened near me and I'm considering trying it.
I'm just not that ... Bendy ... Lol

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't but I do follow some blogs which feature larger girls who are amazing yogis. It's interesting to see how different poses look for different people. Have you checked out Jessamyn Stanley? She has a blog and an Instagram, she teaches as well. I think you should do the class!

This is Jessamyn by the way!

uf4cmuqawu3y.jpg
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be bendy to practice yoga! You just need to be willing to work at it. Be brave and go to that class. If you don't like it, you don't have to go back.
  • PieAndLattes
    PieAndLattes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    You don't have to be bendy to practice yoga! You just need to be willing to work at it. Be brave and go to that class. If you don't like it, you don't have to go back.

Totally agree!

The other great thing about yoga in a group setting is that you don't have to think about anything off of your own mat and you can completely ignore everyone, or you can often meet some pretty great, like-minded folks!

I am super, super unbendy, but I've definitely gotten better over the last year. And, it totally doesn't matter. That's why they've invented yoga blocks and straps and bolsters. And, it really isn't so much about what you look like, it's not a contest! The benefits of yoga are not about the execution of the poses, its about the effort.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Even if you're not bendy yoga helps make you more bendy. It also helps with balance, agility, posture and core strength. You can go as slow or as fast as you want and it's a great confidence builder. You can be any size to do yoga so I highly encourage you to go to a class! :)
  • AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am a bigger girl and LOVE to do yoga. Yoga is one of those things that can be modified for anyone to do.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    One of the things I like about yoga classes in general is that there's no judgement. Do what you can, make adjustments to poses that make you feel uncomfortable, and enjoy! Nobody's there to watch YOU--they're all doing their own thing!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am a bigger girl that loves to do yoga classes when I can fit them in my schedule. I am more flexible than most people in my class and it is because I love to stretch after my workouts. I find it calming and my flexibility has slowly improved to where I am now. Certain moves I have to do modified because my knees can't handle it and nobody has ever commented or made me feel any less for it.

Give it a whirl, you may be amazed by how much you enjoy it and the flexibility that you do have.
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, a bigger friend of mine is going to join with me. And it's specifically for plus size people .. So hopefully that makes me feel a bit more comfortable at first.
    I try yoga at home, but everyone keeps telling me a class is great.
    So here's to trying! Thanks for all of your encouraging words!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yoga is for every body. my class has people of all different sizes, flexibility and ablility
  • PieAndLattes
    PieAndLattes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I hope you love it!
  • ditzylittlepixie
    ditzylittlepixie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've done yoga for 2 years after a neck and back injury and I love it! If you don't fancy a class you could find a 1 on 1 tutor? I couldn't do a class because I was in a pretty bad way and I didn't want to risk hurting myself so I had individual lessons. They are quite expensive mind...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've been working on my warrior and my triangle poses.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »

Right here! I'm a big guy and do yoga near daily. Any yoga class is a big girl class!