DENIAL

Options
Today is day 1 of my journey and I am the queen of denial.
The facts: I am married to a hot young stud that is significantly younger than me. We have 2 kids and a dog. I am a healthcare professional. I find that I am officially 82.4 lbs too plump.

My slap of reality: went to the doctor for birth control and a pap and was screened for diabetes. YES I know all about diabetes...and YES most of my family has it...and YES I am at risk BUT...NOOOO it's not happening to me...(blinders in place...). It's NEVER happening to me.....
Well let me tell you that until that day in the doctors office I knew I was "too plump" and that I could loose a few pounds but my husband loves me and so do the kids...so yeah yeah yeah I will work on it. I will buy the next quick weight loss pill or workout program that guarantees I will melt fat and get abs of steel and an *kitten* of a twenty year old.....
The truth: my blinders are off and I see an almost 40 year old educated woman that is extremely unhealthy with diabetes and heart disease in her immediate future unless she makes some drastic choices to live healthy and be honest with herself....
Avoiding bathing suits and mirrors are not the answer. But staring at the unhealthy stranger in the mirror and recognizing her as ME is something that has lead to my wanting to make the choice to live....to be healthier...to love myself....to treat myself with respect...and to stop my destructive self sabotaging behavior. I want to live to see tomorrow so I MUST make the difficult choices today. I MUST step away from my unhealthy habits.

Today is the first day of my journey to save my life.....

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! You are at the right place! Read this post

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1

Best wishes!!
  • 2014fak3
    2014fak3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank u
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Welcome to the MFP family :smiley: You WILL achieve your goals. The first step is the hardest, and you've already completed it!
  • 2014fak3
    Options
    Thank u
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Stay strong and believe in yourself and you'll hit every target you set yourself!
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows healthcare workers are the WORST patients, my nurse-self included. Same boat you are except add 100lbs to your 80ish. :# It's just too easy to get caught up in taking care of everyone else... but we can do both. I'm down 27lbs since May, 17 of that since I started sticking to MFP calorie goals and lifting 8 weeks ago. Good luck!
  • DanielleAnderson22
    Options
    That was inspirational, so many people fall into this trap, including myself. im 27 and starting on my way to a very unhealthy adulthood. Im lookin forward to falling pregnant and that is no better motivation for me at the moment. Until i read your blog, i need to do this for me too not just for bub!
  • 2014fak3
    Options
    I'm very proud of you. We can do this together. I'm focusing on one hour at a time.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good handle on the motivation part, and you know the hows/whys through your background and education. Those are the hard parts--Now it's just a matter of doing it! :smile:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Nice post.
    Good luck you can do it
  • hopeinmn
    hopeinmn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm inspired by your post and I have about the same amount to lose. We can do this!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You'll do great :) Please stay away from those quick fix pills and scams though - they rarely to never work and can be dangerous.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Welcome! With determination like that, you're bound to succeed in the long run. I started off with the end of denial myself.