Looking for easy travel food ideas

Options
So I have to travel this weekend with the family we are staying at a nice resort so restarant food is always an option but very easy to lose track of. We have a full kitchen but any food will have to make the 5 hour drive. Also I do not want to be cooking all day. My husband and son are all set but I am looking for low carb low calorie ideas that I could bring pre made or make with little ingredients
So far I am thinking
Scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon
Low carb meatballs or chili
Walnuts
Caesar salad
I know I will need some snack foods any ideas?

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You're taking a weekend vacation. Just eat restaurant food. It's supposed to be a relaxing weekend. Take a break and treat yourself! Just eat half of what you get on your plate. Your husband and son might volunteer to "help" take care of the rest.

If you insist on cooking while on vacation, why not stop off at a supermarket in the nearest town to wherever you're going and stock up on a few supplies once you get closer? Bring a cooler to keep it cold. When I go camping, I like easy-to-prepare things like chicken skewers, roasted veggies, oatmeal, a french press for coffee, peanut butter sandwiches, etc. Most supermarkets have pre-cooked prepared food that just needs to be heated up, which can save you some cooking time.

Why low carb, by the way? Carbs aren't evil.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I am totally low carb works for me. There are no grocery stores anywhere near where we r going that I have ever seen. Just cows. But thanks for the suggestions
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I would assume there is a grocery store local to where you're staying so you shouldn't need to travel with all your food for the week. I tend to plan a salad a day when on vacation because then I know I have a good amount of veggies each day. You can either buy the premade salads or buy the stuff to whip them up, it doesn't take all day to make a salad so there's plenty of time for fun and relaxation.

Snacks:
    Hard boiled eggs
    Fruit
    Nuts
    Jerky
    Ham or turkey and cheese roll ups
    String cheese
    Veggie tray
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I am totally low carb works for me. There are no grocery stores anywhere near where we r going that I have ever seen. Just cows. But thanks for the suggestions
    I doubt the people who live there drive five hours for food, though. Or that they drive five hours to work.

• segacs
    Options
    Yeah, just use Google Maps to find the nearest town with a supermarket. It probably won't be more than a few miles out of the way.

But there are some good suggestions here.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    I'm sure they don't but once I am there I do not really want to go find a store. I bet the hotel has a little store as well but I also know it's very very expensive. We are only there for the weekend
    Dawnmcniel10. Thank you those are some good ideas
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Well, if dealing with all of that is less trouble than simply driving to a nearby store, that would be the way to go.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    i have driven 10 hours to disney with frozen meals in a cooler.
    so what if they get a bit defrosted? you'll eat them anyway.
    you could also just make a salad and put it in a large zip-lock bag.
    strange that no local grocery stores for frozen dinners or salad mixes.

There is probably a store somewhere? Really rural area and we are not there long enough for it to make the drive to wherever. I do have salad on my list. I just don't want to go all hogwash and ruin what I have accomplished. Also have a hike planned weather permittee
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    A couple of rotisserie chickens, pre-cook brown rice, ground turkey or beef (taco salad), boil eggs, cheese, greek yogurt and yes fry up all the bacon and sausages before you leave and place in a cooler.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they don't but once I am there I do not really want to go find a store. I bet the hotel has a little store as well but I also know it's very very expensive. We are only there for the weekend
    Dawnmcniel10. Thank you those are some good ideas

The locals have to eat and I'm sure they aren't dinning out all the time. Taking a quick trip to a market might be easier than preparing food at home that will handle and keep for the 5 hour drive and storage until you're ready for it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    One weekend is not enough to ruin hard work. Enjoy your vacation and use it as a time to relax and learn how to eat out.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Oh you would be surprised how I can ruin things. If I give in now oh boy I would eat everything. I am an all or nothing person. It is truly a fault but one I have never been able to control or alter. Give me a chocolate I'll eat the box a slice of bread I'll eat the loaf. Just wanting to have healthy options available to keep me in check. Really not looking to do grocery shopping or major cooking as I will be very busy. Thanks to all that actually offered snack suggestions gave me a few good ideas.
  • segacs
    Options
    But learning how to moderate and control is one of those life skills that will help you successfully keep the weight off once you lose it.

I know you may want to lose the weight as quickly as possible. And believe me, I understand the urge. But what happens when you're "done" losing weight? If you haven't learned how to deal with holiday meals, vacations or restaurant meals without going nuts, then you're going to have a really hard time maintaining.

Remember: It's not a diet; it's a lifestyle change. The things you're doing now need to be sustainable for the rest of your life. If you honestly can't see yourself keeping up this level of strict control in the long run, then it's probably not the best way to go about things.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    It is a lifestyle change and that is why I am setting up for success not failure. If you are going someplace where the options are not what you want why not be prepared. Diet or no diet it is nice to have things you want to eat around
  • segacs
    Options
    It is a lifestyle change and that is why I am setting up for success not failure. If you are going someplace where the options are not what you want why not be prepared. Diet or no diet it is nice to have things you want to eat around

^ All true! Just saying, don't be scared of restaurants.

Anyway, looks like you got some good ideas here. Have a nice weekend away.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I like the tuna packets and the packaged vegatables that you microwave (Libby's). Apples always, got to have my apples. I also like fiber one cookies or bars. My favorites is double chocolate cookie and I now like the brownie and chocolate chip bar. Cheerios in my world is a must for anywhere. I measure them out in baggies for my snacks. I like most of the progresso soups to. Just some ideas of things I use.