Please do me a favour; help me settle on a healthy weight goal.

Options
Hey All

I started at 340 (well, 355 really, but started MFP at 340) and I am 83 pounds down so far (CW 257). I am 6 foot 1, and have a large frame. I carry an above average bit of muscle on me, having been blessed with some good genetics. My trouble is, I have never been a "normal" weight, so I am struggling to set a ideal goal weight. I have recently been told that my goal of 195 is too low for me, even though my BMI ideal weight is 189. How do I settle this?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You'll know when you get there.

Really, it's as simple as that. You can use BMI calculators to pick an initial target or range. But you may find yourself adjusting it a few times over before you get there.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think most people just keep going until they feel happy with themselves. My initial goal is into an 'average' BMI or 150lbs or so, but I'm a 5'7 woman with no muscle mass to speak of, it's a wonder I stay standing :D

Personally I'd like to get to 140lbs or so though but I won't really know until I get there, I might like being 150lbs. Plus your high muscle mass might mean you want to focus on Body Fat % rather than a BMI calculation.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    You'll know when you get there.

Really, it's as simple as that. You can use BMI calculators to pick an initial target or range. But you may find yourself adjusting it a few times over before you get there.

I completely agree with this. Get close to the healthy weight range for your height (and I believe there is a newer suggested BMI calculation or range for taller people) and then just focus on what you see in the mirror. You don't have to pick a solid number and stick to it. Right now I'm in the "I'll know it when I see it" phase.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree with what is said by other here but I will add this. If you don't want to wait and see if you get to a place where you are satisfied, aim to get somewhere in the BMI overweight range and find out your body fat percentage is. From there, pick a body fat percentage as a goal. Below are some picture to help you.

0i3pcfs5xvou.jpg
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    First of all, Congrats on losing 83 lbs. WOW! Set your goal weight 10% of your CW of 257, that would be about 26 lbs. then readjust from there. At my current weight 162 lbs., 5'7", my BMI is 25.4 overweight. I am looking very slim not skinny. The BMI chart states that I should weigh 151 lbs. to be at a normal weight, this is on the high end. I am not going down to that weight, then I will look very skinny. This girl wants to keep some of her curves. Also, take lots of pictures as you progress, then you will know.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame and my current goal weight would put me in Overweight according to the BMI. We'll see what happens when I get there.
  • adawson55510
    adawson55510 Posts: 60 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Don't stop to your happy. Check the mirror too it does not lie.. good luck and well done so far.
  • Redmonkeydf
    Redmonkeydf Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your valuable input folks. It was really helpful. I guess the common sense approach of mostly ignore the goal and pay attention to the mirror and body fat will be what I will do. Great success all!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10.75", and often state I'm 5'11", as my brothers are 5'10" and I'm visibly taller.

Anyways, my goal is 175lb and is on the high side of normal BMI. There is nothing wrong with being on the high (or very edge) of normal. The most important thing is setting a goal that is realistic and will give results close to what you want.

As pointed out above, you can get close to your goal, check your BF%, and then adjust as necessary. 195 is a fine goal now, but maybe you'll want to adjust up/down by 10lb. You won't know until you are closer.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'1" with a "massive frame" as his physicians and physical therapists have called hit. His weight sweet spot is around 220-225. Under that and he looks a bit sickly. Like others said, you'll know it when you see it.
    Congrats on your progress :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Personally I would pick a goal size instead of a goal weight. So maybe your goal size would be a size 36 pant, or something similar.
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a question about this as well. Is height the only important factor in BMI, besides weight? I'm 5'5 1/2" tall, but I'm super short waisted, and long legged. I have a 34' inseam. The numbers that put me in the "normal" range seem high for me. I think I'd look like a twig if I got as low as 130-135.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    dmsl977 wrote: »
    Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a question about this as well. Is height the only important factor in BMI, besides weight? I'm 5'5 1/2" tall, but I'm super short waisted, and long legged. I have a 34' inseam. The numbers that put me in the "normal" range seem high for me. I think I'd look like a twig if I got as low as 130-135.

BMI = kg/m^2

So yes, it is just height and weight. BMI is an ok measure, but it isn't the perfect tool for determining a good weight. It is a great starting point for those who are overweight and need to lose fat, but I wouldn't lose/gain weight just to get within the healthy range if all other indicators show that you are a good weight.
  • rgioviano
    rgioviano Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey All

I started at 340 (well, 355 really, but started MFP at 340) and I am 83 pounds down so far (CW 257). I am 6 foot 1, and have a large frame. I carry an above average bit of muscle on me, having been blessed with some good genetics. My trouble is, I have never been a "normal" weight, so I am struggling to set a ideal goal weight. I have recently been told that my goal of 195 is too low for me, even though my BMI ideal weight is 189. How do I settle this?

Thanks in advance.

Great job losing 83 pounds. Obviously, you're doing the right things. Don't use the BMI for anything. It's not the least bit accurate, especially for someone who has above average muscle mass. Generally, body fat percentage is going to be a better marker. You should be able to get that done at any gym (or possibly a local college with an exercise science/kinesiology program). That will give you more useful data to use.

I wouldn't worry about a specific weight, eat the right foods (meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, and legumes) and adjust the amounts as necessary based on weight and what you see in the mirror. The simpler you make it, the better.
  • redrosez4
    redrosez4 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey All

Thanks in advance.

Wow, 83 down.. That's freaking awesome!! Well done!

I agree about setting a goal and how it can be a challenge. It's hard to say until you get there. For me, I have a range I am shooting for. I want to be between 110-120ish. My first goal is to get to 120 and see what I think. If I feel like I need to go down more, than I will. But I don't want to be a slave to the scale.. I want to be able to comfortably maintain the weightloss, and 110 might be a bit of a stretch. So, I am going to let my body answer it for me, and it takes the pressure off having to go to a number that my body may not want to go to. I was 110 when I was 18.. but at 32.. may not happen.

For you, you may want to say 189-200lbs.. Make 200 your first goal and see if you need to loose more. It's good to have a range.

Good luck! Congrats on your success.. Truly inspirational!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Personally I would pick a goal size instead of a goal weight. So maybe your goal size would be a size 36 pant, or something similar.

thats what i did. i picked a uk size 14. when i got to a 12 was really surprised with myself.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I agree with what is said by other here but I will add this. If you don't want to wait and see if you get to a place where you are satisfied, aim to get somewhere in the BMI overweight range and find out your body fat percentage is. From there, pick a body fat percentage as a goal. Below are some picture to help you.

0i3pcfs5xvou.jpg

this is what I used to decide my weight - had nothing to do with the scale. I decided it didn't want to be at 25%, I wanted to be 12%. Although I log often, I rarely use a scale. I just look in the mirror to see if I am still where I want to be.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm just over 6'1", have a long waist, and also maintain muscle without much effort. As you know, the highest end of "healthy" weight for us is about 190 pounds according to the BMI. I have no intention or need to get down to 190. That's what I weighed in high school with little muscle and I was very thin. In college I was lifting weights, put on 20 pounds of muscle and was in great shape even at 215. Since then I gained weight (*cough*fat*cough*) steadily until I hit nearly 260 earlier this year at age 39. I put on weight proportionately, and with a long torso and broad muscular shoulders I didn't even start getting a noticeable belly until I hit about 240. At nearly 260 I was looking at a wardrobe change and saw where things were headed.

I have a sedentary job, but I don't sit down much at home. I increased my activity by wearing a pedometer. (I now avg 6800 steps a day, double from when I started, and now shooting for an average of 8000). I bought a good bike that I'm riding a few miles to work a few times a week. I'd like to ride more, but I'm not going to burn out from going overboard. I lost a few pounds from walking more in early August. I knew the main problem was my caloric intake. I already eat a healthy combination of foods, but too much of it.

I was at 255 when I started started tracking calories at the end of August and I weighed in at 238 today and yesterday. (17 pounds over 5 weeks.) I'm now comfortably fitting into pants I could barely button two months ago. I'm eating 1600-1800 calories every day with one day where I ate (and drank) 2800. I'm likely underestimating my base activity level, which resulted in a greater than 1000 calorie deficit. It's doing me some good to realize I don't need 3000 calories day after day with no real intentional exercise. I feel like I have more energy now.

I'm going to bump up my calories when I get down to 230 for a smaller deficit and get used to that level of eating. When I get close to 220 I'm going to start lifting again, set my calories at maintenance, eating back a small percentage of the weightlifting burn, and see what happens. The scale won't matter so much at that point. Shoulder, waist, and upper leg measurements will be more meaningful. I already have my free weights set up and ready to go. I doubt I'll want or need to get below 210, and that's 20 pounds over the BMI healthy range.