Jillian Michael's 30 day shred

Options
I just had a baby in August and I know my body did an amazing thing but I hate the extra weight!! I had lost 40 lbs before getting pregnant and needed to lose more but with the pregnancy working out happened less and less. A friend of mine gave me her copy of the DVD and told me this would help me out. Has anyone had success with it? Do I have to do it every day for 30 days or can I start out doing it 3 or 4 days a week since I haven't worked out in months. Will only doing it a few days a week mess with my results?

Replies

• Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi! You're supposed to do it every day, but I never could. Be warned that you will be very sore afterwards. I'm not saying this to scare you, I promise, it's just a fact. You'll be sore in places you didn't think you could be sore :D It was especially true for the upper body, for me.

I think starting out with 3-4 workouts a week is a good idea. Do it every other day. It might help make it seem less repetitive too. That's something I struggled with, and why I ultimately stopped. I couldn't stand listening to the same speech and music anymore. Maybe I should give it another go, alternate with going on the elliptical trainer (that's starting to become boring too). Because once my body got used to it (I started with the gentler version of the exercises, and gradually worked my way to the harder one, but I never made it to Level 2...), I could definitely see and feel the results.

So best of luck to you!
  • MissAmyx
    MissAmyx Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I did it and I did see some pretty decent results. like i actually saw definition of muscles and stuff and my endurance levels and strength levels improved dramatically (then I copped quite a severe ankle injury, not related to exercising just from being clumsy and falling over which put me out of action for months! :( )

There’s two different girls who workout behind Jillian one woman does easier versions of the exercises, if you follow her you'll get jst as good a workout but probably (hopefully) won’t be to sore afterwards. The other chick does more advanced versions if you want to get the best results a.s.a.p she's the one you want to follow along with....but its tough!!

I did each level for about a week....once you’ve learnt the moves and the routine you might want to just hit the mute button on the DVD and crank up some good exercise music though. Listening to Jillian give the same instructions and make the same jokes over and over and over again does get annoying very quickly (especially when you bathed in sweat gasping for air and she’s all like "See this is easy by now isn't? isn't?")

I actually found level 2 to be harder than level 3....it focuses a lot on the upper body and strength, there are newborn infants with greater upper body strength than me so yeah i really struggle through it but, with each session you do get better and better.
    Don't try and do to much to soon and if you need to take a longer break between exercises do it, the first time i did it i was at it for close to an hour because i was so unfit i couldn’t get through the 20min session without stopping.

If your just starting out just stick to 3-4 times a week and follow along with the blonde chick in the video seeing as she does modified versions and yeah just stick with it, the first few times you do it you'll probably HATE it and swear you're never doing it again, but I found it to be one of the better "at home DVD workouts" (a lot of Jillian’s DVDs are actually quite good)

After doing it for a month i was at work and i had to carry some boxes of drinks all up it weighed about 25kg and without hesitation I was able to lift all the boxes in one go and carry them all for about 20m without a problem I went to pass them to another team member but she couldn’t lift the whole lot in one go like i was and had to break them down into 3 smaller loads.
    I know that doesn't sound like much but for certain I was only able to carry that amount because of building up my strength with the DVDs before I started them I had no definition and could barely lift 3kg without wanting to die :wink: so yeah it does actually work and you will see benefits if you stick it out.

Good luck with it!
  • kwoolsey90
    kwoolsey90 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you so much! I might do 3-4 day just to get back into the swing of things. I was working out 6 days a week for an hour before the pregnancy and with the pregnancy I wasn't even stretching just walking and sleeping lol.
  • Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    MissAmyx wrote: »
    the first few times you do it you'll probably HATE it and swear you're never doing it again, but I found it to be one of the better "at home DVD workouts" (a lot of Jillian’s DVDs are actually quite good)

I've found that talking back and occasionally shouting how much I hate her and her workout (only not really) actually helps get through it :D
  • hybridtheory45
    hybridtheory45 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just finished up a round of 30 Day Shred, and lost almost 12 inches from my body, with 4 of it from my waist alone! I have joint issues and can't do it every day, but did it every other day, with something lower impact, like walking, in between, and it didn't slow my progress at all. Highly recommended!
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Mangsney wrote: »
    MissAmyx wrote: »
    the first few times you do it you'll probably HATE it and swear you're never doing it again, but I found it to be one of the better "at home DVD workouts" (a lot of Jillian’s DVDs are actually quite good)

I've found that talking back and occasionally shouting how much I hate her and her workout (only not really) actually helps get through it :D

I thought I was the only one! My boyfriend laughs at me when I yell at the screen, sometimes she just angers me ahahahahaha
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I loved jillian m. 30 day shred! When i started i already had lost about 15 pounds so her dvd mainly made my waist smaller thats where i saw most of my results. I plan on doing this again!
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just re-started 30 Day Shred yesterday. I have done it before and I got incredible results!! I've been off for 2 months just gaining weight and inches :) This time I am using 8Lb weights. It is going to be nice to enter the Holidays feeling good!
  • JGlam_NY
    JGlam_NY Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did this in the past to get myself back into fitness and it worked great. It's quick and to the point. If you do it straight thru with few breaks you will get results. Of course making healthier eating choices will do wonders. Keep us posted. I've recommend this to many whom want to workout at home and not time consuming. Best of luck!