RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Great post! Enjoy your life x
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Congrats you've nailed weight loss, outstanding post :smile:
    Been here 3 years 3 months, the last 3 I have stopped logging but have kept up my good habits and things couldn't be better :smiley:
    I weigh in bi - weekly to keep an eye on things and am consistent with exercise :smile:
  • 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What do you mean default goal for net calories is over estimated by MFP? I got lost there .
  • RyanTahiti
    RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    2bfit_2015 wrote: »
    What do you mean default goal for net calories is over estimated by MFP? I got lost there .

When you enter your stats (height, weight, etc) in Goals and select "Maintain my current weight" or "Lose 1 pound per week" (for example), MFP calculates your calorie goals based on that.

For me, the calculation is way off, and I know it because of all my meticulous logging and the geeked-out amount of data I kept & sorted through.

So where it should be 1550 net calories per day for me, MFP's calculations put it at 1950. That'd be a severe disappointment on the scale every week if I wasn't aware of it.

[Related side note: the treadmills and elliptical machines at the gym also overestimate how many calories I burn by quite a bit. My Garmin with a heart rate monitor is much more accurate. Another reason I stuck to point #4 in my original post.]

• desy617
    desy617 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    RyanTahiti wrote: »
    2bfit_2015 wrote: »

When you enter your stats (height, weight, etc) in Goals and select "Maintain my current weight" or "Lose 1 pound per week" (for example), MFP calculates your calorie goals based on that.

For me, the calculation is way off, and I know it because of all my meticulous logging and the geeked-out amount of data I kept & sorted through.

So where it should be 1550 net calories per day for me, MFP's calculations put it at 1950. That'd be a severe disappointment on the scale every week if I wasn't aware of it.

[Related side note: the treadmills and elliptical machines at the gym also overestimate how many calories I burn by quite a bit. My Garmin with a heart rate monitor is much more accurate. Another reason I stuck to point #4 in my original post.]

thanks for all the much need information, how do you calculate the net calories if its not right, what did you do to figure it out. my net calories says 1248 right now
  • RyanTahiti
    RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The MFP BMR calculator is pretty spot-on: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

It calculates my BMR at 1559 cal/day. But when I go into Goals and choose "Maintain my Current Weight," it sets my net calorie goal to 1950. At 1950 net, I know I'll gain almost a pound a week.

I think their calculations after that to find Net Calories just overestimate how much I burn throughout the day - even though I set Activity Level at "Sedentary," which is underestimating.

Or maybe it's just that my metabolism is so slow it breaks the algorithms...
  • Petranne
    Petranne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1. z
    ż
  • livluvlift
    livluvlift Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all your hard work! Good luck to you! :-)
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Congrats to you. Excellent work. I've been at this for about a year and three months and have lost over 100 pounds, but I have not had a continuous logging streak unfortunately as I have missed a day here and there. I do disagree a bit with a couple of points you made in your list, but whatever works for you. I will be giving that recipe a try though.
  • kaitlynmcadams17
    kaitlynmcadams17 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!