Understanding Fitbit

Replies

• freesiasun5
    freesiasun5 Posts: 3,122 Member
    Oh, and in your example your net is 400.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    edited October 2015

I do take it off. I only wear it when I know I'm doing heavy activity. In the car it still adds steps, miles, and calorie burn.

then you are not using it properly imo. I wear mine 24/7 unless it is charging. It is estimating your calorie burns when you are not wearing it because it is trying to give you a TDEE. If you just want something to tell you what you burn during intentional exercise, then you should get a Heart Rate Monitor (best for steady state cardio, not weights etc).
    Honestly I would just like a formula on how to calculate net calories.

A formula that consists of.

TDEE
    BMR
    Calorie deficit
    Calorie consumed
    Fitbit calories ( I guess this ties into BMR and TDEE, but I honestly don't know)

= net calories.

Net calories, as applies to MFP, formula has been given to you twice now.

TDEE = BMR + exercise + activity factor
    Fitbit calories (when used correctly) = TDEE
    daily deficit = 500* however many lbs per week you want to lose

if your BMR = ~1750, you do approx 800 cal per day in exercise and you are lightly active the equation looks like this:

Estimated TDEE =(1750*1.375)+800 = 3206
    if you are trying to lose 2 lb per week then your deficit would be 1000 cals

3206 -1000 = 2206 = daily calorie consumed goal

If you want to use a net calorie system then the equation would look like this:

MFP Estimated Cal burn = (1750*1.375) = 2406
    2406-1000= 1406 = daily cal consumed goal
    IF you ate 1406 and exercised 800 cals then net cal equation would be:

1406-800= 606 NET

This number is lower than the accepted minimum net calories. You should eat at least 600 of your exercise cals back so that you DO NOT Net under 1200.

ETA: that I know of, there is no equation that uses TDEE, BMR, cal deficit, cal consumed all at once. From what I have seen you either use TDEE method or you use MFPs net cals method.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    On a side note: you seem to be confused about just what your BMR is. BMR is the amount of calories your body uses if you were to lay in bed and do nothing, i mean no lifting your arm or leg, no turning over, no getting up to pee etc. You should not (without doctors supervision) eat below BMR, or if you do it should not be for any length of time. Even if you were sedentary, meaning you sit at a desk for 8-10 hours, sleep 6-8 hours, and sit on the couch the other 8 hours, you are likely burning about 350 more calories a day than your BMR. That is why people keep trying to help you understand what your TDEE and activity factors are.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited October 2015
    You don't use net calories with the TDEE method.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    JUST keep track of the section where is says total calories burned. For your goals you're gonna need that to say 2900 everyday. So get walking or running or whatever it is that you do. You'll find as you lose weight you'll have to walk more to reach that 2900.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Counting steps while driving is a known bug with all the fitbits, though it doesn't happen to everyone. That's why there's a "driving" activity which you can log (on fitbit, not MFP) that will take away those erroneous steps. Have you looked at the forums on fitbit? They'll be more helpful than here for most of your question.
    I'll also second the other folks' suggestion that you join the fitbit users group here on MFP and read that FAQ. Welcome to the club and have fun!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    Fitbit is an all day total calorie measuring device. It is meant to be worn all day to track all your activity, not just when you are exercising. With its accelerometers it measures your activity and based on that adds calories to your BMR to give an estimated number for you Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE).

To explain further, Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the number of calories your body burns simply staying alive. It is used to keep your heart beating, your brain functioning, and your various other bodily functions functioning. That means in your case your burn 73 calories an hour even if you are doing nothing at all (1753/24). Generally it is considered a bad idea to eat less calories than your BMR since those calories are needed to keep the necessary functions of your body provided for. This is also the number that fitbit uses for your calorie burns if you are doing nothing.

From the BMR you can estimate your daily calorie burns from your non-exercise activity through various multipliers. For example, a truly sedentary person burns 1.2 times their BMR through their daily non-exercise activity. So if you are sedentary you probably burn 2100 calories a day or so from the activity of moving around to make meals, go to the washroom and the like.

To that number you then add exercise calories. The number that you would get from BRM, Non-Exercise Calories, and Exercise Calories is your TDEE. What fitbit does is take your BMR and the activity it senses as you wear it all day to come up with this TDEE number. That is synced with MyfitnessPal to either add or take away calories from your daily goal if you have negative adjustments enabled.

If you are not wearing your fitbit all day, you are not using it correctly.

BTW, the reason it does not measure stairs climbed on a stair climber is because the flights climbed is based on the changes is barometric pressure as you go up and down actual stairs. With a stair climber you are not actually going up or down in elevation, but are on a simulated stair.
  • stephaniechukwu31
    stephaniechukwu31 Posts: 112 Member
    I should be subtracting my calorie deficit from my TDEE.

So BMR 1753-1000 =753
    TDEE: 753+1000 = -1753 net?

BMR:1753
    TDEE: 3833
    Calories consumed: 1000
    Calories burned: 1000
    Calories remaining: 753

So if I have to burn 2900 daily as some of you say. I'm just about 200 away right?
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Also on Saturday during my 12 hour shift. I burned over 3000 calories. And yes I wore it and reset from the start of my shift till the end. I also ate about 1800 calories. What was my net burn?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I don't think you still know your TDEE yet. In order to have an accurate TDEE from a Fitbit, it needs a few weeks of data from 24 hour wear.

Since you haven't been doing that, no one can say what your TDEE is.

Why don't you give the device a chance to work the way it should? They get more accurate the more and longer you wear them.
  • stephaniechukwu31
    OH! My TDEE is what my Fitbit calculates for 24 hours?!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Yes, the Fitbit is calculating your total daily energy expenditure. That's why it will show calories burnt even when you aren't doing very much -- your body uses energy all the time.
  • stephaniechukwu31

Yes, the Fitbit is calculating your total daily energy expenditure. That's why it will show calories burnt even when you aren't doing very much -- your body uses energy all the time.

Ooooooh! Okay see now I'm starting to understand. So my TDEE is my BMR + activity level. But I'm more active on some days more than others. Would I have to not exercise for an entire day to calculate my TDEE?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Ooooooh! Okay see now I'm starting to understand. So my TDEE is my BMR + activity level. But I'm more active on some days more than others. Would I have to not exercise for an entire day to calculate my TDEE?

Your TDEE includes exercise. It's simply the total energy you expend in a day.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    I should be subtracting my calorie deficit from my TDEE.

So BMR 1753-1000 =753
    TDEE: 753+1000 = -1753 net?
    No
    BMR:1753
    TDEE: 3833

If these are your numbers then your equation should be:

3833 - 1000 = 2833

You should have consumed 2833 to have a 1000 deficit. If you truly only ate 1000 cals that day, then your deficit was 2833 and you are severely under-eating.

• ColinsMommaOC

This is why you should take the total numbers for a few weeks and get a daily average.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Yes, you need to think of TDEE as a range, not as an exact number. You move a different amount each day. Hence your daily TDEE changes each day.

But after a few weeks or months of data, you'll start to see your average and your range.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Let fitbit do that math for you. fitbit is excellent at figuring out your TDEE range based on your activity. Then it will start feeding that math (TDEE adjusted by day's actuals) to MFP for MFP to use in it's calculations of what calories you should eat. So on days you're more active vs others, fitbit has you covered!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Also on Saturday during my 12 hour shift. I burned over 3000 calories. And yes I wore it and reset from the start of my shift till the end. I also ate about 1800 calories. What was my net burn?

So on Saturday your TDEE was 3000 ...now subtract what you ate 1800 so your net burn was 1200 calories.
    3000 burned
    -1800 eaten
    1200 deficit

So at this current pace you will lose 2.4 pounds per week if you continued to have a 1200 deficit everyday.

Wear your Fitbit 24 hours in a day. It will get more accurate the longer you wear it. Just look at your total calories burned and then Subtract what you've eaten....that will be your deficit. You need to add up those deficits and each time you get to 3500 you will lose a pound.

But you have to wear it for the entire 24 hours not just your 12 hour shift otherwise your data will be inaccurate.
  • Just to give you a rough idea. With my Fitbit. On my laziest hardly move days my TDEE is around 1800. On my normal days I fluctuate between 2000 - 2300 on a busy day. But it's usually an average of 2100. So over time you see a pattern developing.

WEAR IT ALL THE TIME. It's worth it I promise. :)