Sleep

Options
Ginnygirl5
Ginnygirl5 Posts: 55 Member
I don't sleep very well at night. Or anytime for that matter. What I'm wondering. Does lack of sleep really mess with your weight?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It may contribute some but it is still a matter of being in a calorie deficit.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    It may contribute some but it is still a matter of being in a calorie deficit.

This is exactly right. I find that the longer I'm awake at night the more urges I get to snack and go over deficit.
  • Ginnygirl5
    Options
    Thanks! That does help
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Obtaining enough sleep is thought to be very important for your health over the long term. If you spend enough time researching the subject on-line, you'll no doubt become alarmed at what a life time of under-sleeping might contribute to.

Hi, my name is Mike and I am a chronic under-sleeper. I don't have sleep problems, I have a stay-up-too-late problem. It's a habit I developed while being a travelling over-achieving business person and it's not good for me, and I've been working hard this past year to break this habit.

Becoming more physically active certainly helps me by encouraging me to get the rest I need. I get tired! Conversely, not getting enough sleep certainly the next day gets in the way of motivation and having energy to be more physically active. For that reason alone I'm working harder to get the sleep I need.
  • Ginnygirl5
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I have bedtime rituals. I take a bath with lavender Epsom salts (great for DOMS and muscle fatigue), do a half-hour session of yin yoga (gentle stretching) and read a bit of a pleasant, relaxing book that I've read before--nothing new before bed, or I'll stay up all night to read it. If I do all this (the overall ritual takes about an hour to an hour and a half), FitBit records my sleep efficiency at 99%. I love my sleep, so I try to do this as often as possible. Keeping the room very dark with blackout curtains also helps.
  • Ginnygirl5
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Other things that can help, stay away from anything with a screen for minimum of 1 hour before bed. Do not go to your bed until you are ready to sleep. Avoid caffeine for 8-10 hours before bedtime.

(Note, for all of you who do these things and don't have trouble sleeping, that's fine. However for many people who have a hard time falling or staying asleep these have been proven to help.)

You can read more tips here:
    http://www.sleep-tip.com/insomnia-sleep-tips.html
  • Ginnygirl5
    Options
    Thank you!