20 Weeks Pregnant and Have Gained Close to 15 pounds...HELP!

Options
I'm almost 20 weeks pregnant and experiencing insatiable hunger! I usually eat mostly fruits and veggies but I'm CRAVING crap...like little Debbies, oreos, and frappuccinos...even though I eat it in moderation I'm gaining weight like crazy! I have to be militant in diet due to a hormone disorder otherwise I gain weight insanely fast! I know some weight gain is normal in pregnancy but I worked so hard to lose about 140 pounds and now to see the scale go up is hugely anxiety and depression invoking. I was about 126 when I got pregnant and I'm now already up to 139 :'( How do I slow the weight gain down and deal with these cravings??? I haven't been logging since getting pregnant really which I know I need to get back to. Like I said...I primarily eat fruits and veggies...watermelon and cantaloupe make up the bulk of what I eat with an occasional banana, plum or nectarine. I eat veggies more infrequently....mostly green beans, pea pods, broccoli, carrots and radishes. I eat meat maybe once or twice a week. I have about 1 bagel a week with turkey and/or ham with cheese on it. My downfall lately is that I've been eating cereal about twice a week, a Little Debbie snack or 3 Oreos a day, 1 or 2 frappuccinos a week, an an average of 4 cans of pop a week. I KNOW I need to get my calories under control but how do I deal with the CONSTANT hunger and cravings?????? HELP!!!

Replies

• Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Given your pregnancy and your hormonal issues, I'd advise you to stay off the forums and talk directly with your doctor for advice.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Given your pregnancy and your hormonal issues, I'd advise you to stay off the forums and talk directly with your doctor for advice.

+1000
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    This is supposed to be a happy time in your life and instead you are making it stressfull. See your doctor.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

+1000

+5000
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Agree you should talk to your doctor but I will give you some tips from my experience. I have 3 kids. With the first two I started at a healthy weight but then pretty much ate whatever I felt like. That combined with an aversion to meat and vegetables while pregnant left me eating lots of things like bread and cheese constantly so I gained about 40-45 lbs. With baby 3 I was about 10 lbs overweight and gained around 25 lbs. The big difference I had with baby 3 was I tried to be more active. I also logged my food to help ensure I wasn't going too crazy. I didn't have a regular work out time but I would get up from my desk several times a day and walk for about 10 minutes. I allowed myself some stuff like a little candy or sweets but tried to not go crazy. Some things to remember: during pregnancy you may retain water more so sudden increases can be due to water retention and most of the weight you gain will be baby, blood, & fluid. Cut your self some slack. If you gain an extra 5 lbs it isn't too big of a deal but talk to your doctor to ensure someone else isn't going on and they aren't concerned about it.

During the 2nd & 3rd trimester 1-2 lbs a week is common

Pregnancy Weight Gain: Average Distribution

7 1/2 pounds is about how much the baby will weigh by the end of pregnancy.
    1 1/2 pounds is how much the placenta weighs.
    4 pounds is attributed to increased fluid volume.
    2 pounds is the weight of the uterus.
    2 pounds is the weight of breast tissue.
    4 pounds is because of increased blood volume.
    7 pounds is attributed to maternal stores of fat, protein and other nutrients.
    2 pounds for the amniotic fluid.
    Total: 30 pounds
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

+1000

Plus 5000. OP, talk to your doctor. You are supposed to gain weight while pregnant.
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, talk with your doctor. Did he/she give you a suggested healthy baby diet to follow? I know mine did, but that was 15 years ago. From what I remember, the cravings ease a good bit in the last trimester. Stop torturing yourself with worry over gaining weight. Just accept it as part of the wonderful deal.

From what you listed that you eat, I'd add a good bit more protein. I will help with the hunger, and you and your baby need it.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    That sounds actually quite normal. I would be concerned if you weren't gaining a good amount. When I was pregnant, despite me eating everything I wanted and even drinking protein shakes with lotsssssss of peanut butter and nom-nom food, I only gained 16lbs. I tried so hard to gain for my baby, and ended up her being small by nature. I had to be emergency induced 2 days before my due date because of her concern. I would have gained another 20 if my body had let me. I gain super easy usually, but not while preggo
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    That sounds actually quite normal. I would be concerned if you weren't gaining a good amount. When I was pregnant, despite me eating everything I wanted and even drinking protein shakes with lotsssssss of peanut butter and nom-nom food, I only gained 16lbs. I tried so hard to gain for my baby, and ended up her being small by nature. I had to be emergency induced 2 days before my due date because of her concern. I would have gained another 20 if my body had let me. I gain super easy usually, but not while preggo

I have a friend who said she lost weight while pregnant, even though she was not trying to. Her doctors had her on close watch, but she and baby turned out fine.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, bring a food log with you.

If you weren't pregnant I would recommend maybe cutting back on some of the fruit and looking at more protein and fats to keep your blood sugar from bouncing around so much.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    My doctor has told me she wants me to gain a pound a week even if it means eating more high calorie/junk food but I'm having a really hard time finding the right balance of calories for me...most sources say to add 200 to 300 calories per day during the 2nd trimester but that's for normal women...I'm far from normal...my calorie needs are medically recognized to be much less than "normal" people. I'm also having a high risk pregnancy so my activity level has been drastically reduced and it's expected I will be on full bed rest starting sometime between week 25 and week 30.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

If you weren't pregnant I would recommend maybe cutting back on some of the fruit and looking at more protein and fats to keep your blood sugar from bouncing around so much.

You don't know if her blood sugar is bouncing around. Cravings happen for other reasons.
  • kamakazeekim
    Options
    My fasting blood sugar was 59 at my last appointment.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My doctor has told me she wants me to gain a pound a week even if it means eating more high calorie/junk food but I'm having a really hard time finding the right balance of calories for me...most sources say to add 200 to 300 calories per day during the 2nd trimester but that's for normal women...I'm far from normal...my calorie needs are medically recognized to be much less than "normal" people. I'm also having a high risk pregnancy so my activity level has been drastically reduced and it's expected I will be on full bed rest starting sometime between week 25 and week 30.

Then listen to your doctor. If she wants you to eat more, then eat more. You have a high risk pregnancy (I've had 2 myself), ignoring your doctor's orders is not something to consider. Stop freaking out about the weight gain. It's going to happen, whether you will it or not. You can always lose the weight after you deliver.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Yup, I'm not comfortable giving advice to a pregnant woman either, but if you weren't, I'd also suggest more protein and fat.

Do start logging again so you can show your doctor. Your carbs sound super high and protein very low.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    my calorie needs are medically recognized to be much less than "normal" people

Do you mean you have a medical issue such as thyroid or inulin resistence? If so, this is all more the reason to consult your MD.

• kamakazeekim
    edited October 2015
    Options
    PCOS and insulin resistant...all blood work shows no concerns for diabetes but my blood sugar has been dropping too low so I often feel dizzy which is why I'm supposed to drink a pop or sugary juice when I feel faint or dizzy. I'm also to drink a caffinated drink combined with Tylenol for my migraines I've been getting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Look, you can't both say you have a very complicated medical condition and ask an internet forum for advice. Either this is a question for your doctor or it isn't.

So your doctor told you it was ok to get the extra calories from Little Debbies and Oreos and sodas...and now you have what you describe as insatiable hunger. Peanut butter has 100 calories per tablespoon, and doesn't trigger cravings for me, but due to your hormone disorder you should consult with your doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    edited October 2015
    Options
    PCOS and insulin resistant...all blood work shows no concerns for diabetes but my blood sugar has been dropping too low so I often feel dizzy which is why I'm supposed to drink a pop or sugary juice when I feel faint or dizzy. I'm also to drink a caffinated drink combined with Tylenol for my migraines I've been getting.

Gotcha.

By the way, I forgot to cogratulate you on the upcoming bundle.

Yep, talking your doctor is your best bet. :)
  • kamakazeekim
    Options
    Most doctors don't know about the specifics of PCOS and I live in a remote rural area so I can't just find a new doctor. Most women with PCOS will tell you...they have to educate their doctor about the disorder. Even my perinatologist (high risk pregnancy doctor) told me that after losing 140 pounds my PCOS "went away" which my endocrinologist made very clear is not the case.