Do you stick with the 1200 cals/per day suggested by MFP?

Options
I'm thinking that 1200 cals per day is too low for me and my weight, even if I want to lose 2lbs per week. IIFYM gave me 1900 per day and 160 grams of protein versus like 60 grams of protein from MFP?

Replies

• nicole2792
    nicole2792 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Apples........and oranges.

MFP asked how many pounds you want to lose each week. You chose an aggressive goal, so MFP defaulted to 1200 (the minimum). Then MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. So you log exercise, you earn more calories.

IIFYM includes exercise up front. With the calorie difference between MFP & IIFYM.....you must have a lower weekly weight loss goal in IIFYM and/or you intend to intend to exercise quite a bit.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    MFP uses NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenisis) as its caloric model. It does not include exercise and expects you to eat exercise calories back to maintain a net caloric intake.

Most other sites use TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) as their caloric model. Those include exercise in the calorie goal.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The trick is to eat as much as you can and lose weight

I did 1200 for months lost weight
    Now going towards maintenance and there are days i eat 2000 and there re days i eat 1500 and still lose weight fine.

What IIFYM gave you is TDEE (daily activity WITH exercise )
    What MFP gave you is NEAT method ( So your daily total WITHOUT exercise) So you eat back your exercise or a part of it.

95069916.png
  • ShirleyVJ
    ShirleyVJ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Okay I get it! The calorie difference was exercise or 600 calories. I'm going to be over with MFP since today is a rest day. I see now, I CAN eat the calories MFP gives me I wasn't sure. Another bump, I'll get over it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the post. There is a question mark, but it comes at the end of a declarative sentence, so I'm going with the question in the thread title.

No, I don't stick with my calorie goal. I go over or under, depending on how busy/hungry/sick I feel. It all averages out in the end, though. :)

I really wish I was one of those people who had exactly the same amount of hunger every day of their lives, but I'm just not. So, fluctuations.
  • ShirleyVJ
    Options
    Oh Kalikel, I thought I posed at clear question didn't know it came across as a statement of fact. I was asking the community if they stuck with the 1200 or not. Thanks for replying. It was helpful.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is horse-puckey - pay no attention to it.
  • lauraleefaith
    lauraleefaith Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1500.
  • ShirleyVJ
    Options
    Thanks Yi5hedr3
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for over a year, and I've never eaten 1200 calories. That's just not enough calories to keep me satiated. My calories right now are at just over 1700 even after losing 100 pounds. Perhaps two pounds a week is too aggressive for you. I have mine set to lose 1 pound per week, and as I get closer to my goal, I am going to adjust it to 1/2 a pound a week weight loss.
  • ShirleyVJ
    Options
    Ok I will eat tomorrow and really try to listen to my hunger. Maybe I need to adjust my weight loss goal?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »

In what sense? Someone already explained the difference between IIFYM's and MFP's calorie goals.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    ShirleyVJ wrote: »
    Ok I will eat tomorrow and really try to listen to my hunger. Maybe I need to adjust my weight loss goal?

The closer you are to your weight loss goal, the slower you should be losing... basically, if you have a lot to lose, you can lose aggressively, at 2 pounds per week, but if you have less to lose, you need to have a less aggressive goal of a pound per week or even less. As you approach maintenance, you will want to increase calories so that the deficit is smaller, and you adapt to eating more. This makes the transition easier, rather than just going from eating a calorie deficit while losing to a maintenance level.
    (I hope this makes sense to you, if not, I will try again, let me know)
  • mahafhassan895
    mahafhassan895 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi every body I began my diet 3 days ago and am not exercising am just too lazy too am just eating 1200per day sure plus the exercise calories they never over 200 calories ,do you think that's enough to lose 10 kilos or I just need to exercise with the diet. Wish you all to achieve your goals
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I do actually..and I really haven't had much problem sticking to it BUT I'm not a huge eater to begin with, and I am small built so I don't require a huge amount...if I happen to drink on the weekend, I'll go over my calories easily after 2 drinks, and I'm good with that...Life first, my waistline second...lol :wink: I digressed there..sorry...end point is it all evens out in the end...just live life xo
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I tried eating strictly 1200 calories, while ignoring eating back my exercise calories and (sometimes netting negative calories and always less than 1200) and while yes, I lost quite a bit of weight that way, 6 months on, my hair has started falling out by the handful, I've become very iron deficient, B12 deficient, I'm fatigued and irritable and have trouble making it through my workouts. But damn, my jeans look good on me! Seriously, though, I'm on high dose iron now and have upped my calories to include no less than 50% of my earned exercise calories. For the last couple of weeks I've eaten an average of 1600 and I'm still losing weight. I'm feeling better, but my hair isn't going to grow back overnight and it's going to be awhile before I undo the damage done. I guess the moral of my story is, be smart about getting the right amount of calories to sustain the needs of your body.

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I stuck to 1200 for 2+ months with no problem, and was averaging about 2lbs a week. Now that I'm closer to my goal I'm on 1350 for a 1lb a week loss, but some days I'm a little more lenient and go over. As I get closer to my goal I'll probably up it by 100 or so calories every now and again until I reach my goal and/or get to maintenance calories :)

1200 is doable, but as many people say 'the winner is the person who can eat the most and still lose weight'. 1400 may not seem like much but those extra 200 calories a day can actually make (or at least feel) like a huge difference on a day to day basis :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could stick with 1200 gross calories. Eating back my exercise calories is the only way I could do it.
  • MAJdansk
    MAJdansk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »

In what sense? Someone already explained the difference between IIFYM's and MFP's calorie goals.