Filling foods that aren't veggies

Options
I'm hungry all the time. All. The. Time. An average person would just eat some veggies to fill up in this situation, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I've tried many veggies, cooked or uncooked in many ways, but I instantly gag. It's happened my whole life and I haven't found a fix. Does anyone have any recommendations on reasonably healthy, filling foods I can try that aren't veggies?

Replies

• lauraleefaith
    lauraleefaith Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Salmon.
  • pembr0ke
    pembr0ke Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hummus is great with crackers as is peanut butter. Both are also great with raw carrot sticks ;-)
  • Stefie_G
    Stefie_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    air popped pop corn with a giant glass of water
    i have found that loading up on protein in my meals keeps me from getting super hungry
    how much lean protein are you getting per day?
    as above salmon is good, so is tuna, eggs, almonds...

I'm averaging about 40-45 g of protein a day. So, yes, protein is an issue.
  • pembr0ke
    Options
    Stefie_G wrote: »
    air popped pop corn with a giant glass of water
    i have found that loading up on protein in my meals keeps me from getting super hungry
    how much lean protein are you getting per day?
    as above salmon is good, so is tuna, eggs, almonds...

I'm averaging about 40-45 g of protein a day. So, yes, protein is an issue.

Protein bars are a good snack and will keep you going for an hour or so. Also nuts and seeds are great for protein and make a healthy snack if salt free.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Lean meat is the most filling type of food in my experience.

The gagging sounds like Selective Eating Disorder - something I also have been trying to deal with. My own food for when I want a really, really filling meal is to do tacos with 96% lean beef - the spiciness of the food makes up for the fact that very lean beef can be a bit bland, and you could eat half a pound (pre-cooking weight) of seasoned beef for a mere 360 calories (and get 48g of protein doing so). I guarantee you that you won't be hungry after that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    400-500 calories in a nice, tasty 8-ounce ribeye steak.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cheese omelets, pork chops, deli meat, beans.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese with fruit, Greek yogurt(I like plain with any fruits but esp. grapes, berries, etc), baked chicken wings are a go to as well and the tuna salad packs are great on a split english muffin.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    sweet potato with a little real butter and cinnamon sugar....amazingly low in calories and high in fiber for how it tastes....and a big calorie free drink with it.
    or soup....even canned soup that isn't "healthy choice" is mostly water and is very filling for the calories
  • pembr0ke
    Options
    Diced sweet potato with skin on, roasted in extra virgin olive oil with whole cloves of garlic and sprigs of rosemary; let it colour/brown nicely. Very yummy!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Meat, eggs, seafood, avocado, coconut, cream and cheese, nuts.

I skip most carbs and find my appetite is suppressed by doing so. If you wouldn't miss sugars and starches (potatoes, rice, baked goods, etc) then a LCHF diet might work for you.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Do you have that issue with veggies with raw, cooked, both? Have you really tried a wide range?
    Protein might be more important right now but veggies are high in fiber and help fill you up.
  • Stefie_G
    Stefie_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    avatiach wrote: »
    Do you have that issue with veggies with raw, cooked, both? Have you really tried a wide range?
    Protein might be more important right now but veggies are high in fiber and help fill you up.

I have the issue with raw and cooked veggies. I have tried every veggie I've come across hoping that I'll like something. I also have the same problem with fruit. The only veggies/fruit I can force down are starches (potato, peas and corn), bananas and cooked/processed tomato.

Thanks for the awesome ideas everyone!

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Stefie_G wrote: »

I have the issue with raw and cooked veggies. I have tried every veggie I've come across hoping that I'll like something. I also have the same problem with fruit. The only veggies/fruit I can force down are starches (potato, peas and corn), bananas and cooked/processed tomato.

FYI, the treatment for SED is basically "graded exposure therapy" - you take something you can eat and add one new element to it (for example, if you eat burgers but not mushrooms, adding mushrooms to a burger). Most of the time you won't get very far on the first try (even one bite is progress) but you keep it up until you're able to incorporate the new element into your diet.

The "graded" part of graded exposure therapy is rating the foods that frighten you (SED is actually a phobia, not just a food preference) and tackling them in order from least to most frightening.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Nuts, hardboiled eggs, Greek yogurt, granola bars that contain flax or chia seed, and cheese (with or without crackers). I personally like veggies, but find they don't keep me filled up as a snack, so I keep these foods around to fill up in between meals.
  • pembr0ke
    Options
    Nuts, hardboiled eggs, Greek yogurt, granola bars that contain flax or chia seed, and cheese (with or without crackers). I personally like veggies, but find they don't keep me filled up as a snack, so I keep these foods around to fill up in between meals.

I have 0% Greek yogurt and flaxseed in my morning smoothie (along with banana, bluberries and 1% milk), very healthy for you!