Do you stick with the 1200 cals/per day suggested by MFP?

Options

Replies

• MAJdansk
    MAJdansk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been doing 1200 cal/day for about a month now....losing about a pound/week. It's gotten easier. I do a protein drink in the mornings to keep me full 'till lunch and it's only 160 cal....so that helps. I can't exercise because of an injury, and losing weight will help healing, so I'm super motivated to stay at 1200. Good luck with your journey.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi every body I began my diet 3 days ago and am not exercising am just too lazy too am just eating 1200per day sure plus the exercise calories they never over 200 calories ,do you think that's enough to lose 10 kilos or I just need to exercise with the diet. Wish you all to achieve your goals

How can you eat your exercise calories, if you don't exercise ? At least that is what I understood. Please, forming real sentences with periods at the end would help a great deal in understanding.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    1200 is your base and you earn more through exercise. That 1200 is based on what you inputed as your goals, so lowering the aggressiveness, will give you more calories and be more sustainable.
    You can go in and change your macros from the default setting. Good luck!
  • ShirleyVJ
    ShirleyVJ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes. I may have to adjust. And good for you justmisstracy, you have no trouble dieting and you're already quite small... Funny.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ShirleyVJ wrote: »
    Yes. I may have to adjust. And good for you justmisstracy, you have no trouble dieting and you're already quite small... Funny.

Sorry..I didn't mean dieting...I meant staying within my calorie goal..I don't call it dieting...and I'm small, but still could lose a pound or two, I meant my frame..As info..I did start this at 178 lbs...am now at approx 128......but ya, I can see where you would find it funny..!
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1600 calories depending on how much exercise I do during the day. Some days I am hungrier than others.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    "Do you stick with the 1200 cals/per day suggested by MFP?"
    When I started, I gave MFP my stats, activity level and said I wanted to lose 1 lb per week. My starting calorie goal was 1330. It was fine. I stuck to it and lost at the rate I wanted. As I lost weight my goal lowered to 1270. I did not want to lower it to 1200 as MFP eventually recommended. I decided I wanted a slower more comfortable loss. For awhile I raised my goal to 1440 but currently I have it set at 1340. I try to eat between 1200-1500. I eat a portion of my exercise calories. I look at my calories for the whole week.
    ShirleyVJ wrote: »
    I'm thinking that 1200 cals per day is too low for me and my weight, even if I want to lose 2lbs per week. IIFYM gave me 1900 per day and 160 grams of protein versus like 60 grams of protein from MFP?

I think 1200 is a hard place to start out because you can't really go any lower. If you have 100 lbs to lose you can probably do 2 lbs a week for awhile but you might be better off setting your goal to 1 lb a week. You could eat more than 1200 calories and lose weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    IIFYM is horse-puckey - pay no attention to it.
    Yet many people have successfully lost plenty of weight (or maintained/gained muscle) and maintained perfect health doing IIFYM.

This advice is as poor as the rest of the (consistently poor) advice you dish out. You demonstrate a total misunderstanding of both nutrition and training principles. No offense, but I'd recommend you read a lot more and post a lot less.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I started with MFP it suggested 1460 not 1200 but that was based on my goals of 1lb a week....now that I have lost most of my weight (actually more than my initial goal) it gives me 1460 for 1/2lb a week. I eat anywhere between 1500-1800 to lose 1/2lb a week.

I use an activity tracker and eat most of my adjustment back typically.

At maintenance I could eat anywhere between 2k and 2400.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 1200 calories per day. With respect to the MFP way, I find this whole method totally over complicates things for me (having to eat back 50-75% exercise calories etc). I use the TDEE method which includes me exercise - I'm on recomp now but I ate around 1400-1500 to lose weight and was successful :)
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have to go down to 1240 for 1 lb per week but am much more comfortable eating 1490 for 0.5 lb per week! The way I see it, I'm learning portion control which I'll use for the rest of my life - I don't want to have to learn a whole new way of eating once I reach my goal and go into maintenance. If I had to adjust from 1200 diet to 1650 maintenance all of a sudden I think I'd be more prone to messing up, so if I can eat closer to the way I'll eat for the rest of my life and still lose weight then I'm happy to go slow and steady!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining my goal for a few years but while I was losing I eat 1450 cals plus some exercise cals back from the very beginning - but that was to lose 1/2lb a week (I'm petite).
    If you want more cals reduce the deficit and be happy with 1lb/ week loss - that way you'll be able to stick to the plan better.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 1200 calories per day. With respect to the MFP way, I find this whole method totally over complicates things for me (having to eat back 50-75% exercise calories etc). I use the TDEE method which includes me exercise - I'm on recomp now but I ate around 1400-1500 to lose weight and was successful :)

but that is due to your stats, weekly weight loss goal etc.

MFP does not default to 1200 calories.

As for the eating back all exercise calories I did for the first 60 days here and lost the weight as planned. The exercise calories aren't off for all people...

I too switched to TDEE when I started weight lifting but that was only because it's hard to define calorie burns with that...and low and behold my TDEE -20% was the same as MFP + exercise calories.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i tried it for the first week and i couldnt hack it. if i had to stick to it i wouldnt have lost the weight as i would have just quit. I changed it to 1 pound loss a week and ate back my exercise calories.
  • mrsekjpotter
    mrsekjpotter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can someone confirm. I eat 1200 a day. Then enter my exercise should I eat the exercise calories back or just 50% of them or none?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Can someone confirm. I eat 1200 a day. Then enter my exercise should I eat the exercise calories back or just 50% of them or none?
    You can start with all, none, or half and see the effect on your loss to gauge how accurate you calorie burns are and go from there. Your call.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 cal and exercise 6 days a week burning about 2500cal per week (don't eat them back). I have about 20-25kg to lose. Am losing about 1kg per week or less. Am planning on sticking to 1200 for the remaining 8 weeks of my 12 week program. Not sure after that, I don't have a prob sticking to 1200 most days but I kinda agree long term 1200 is too low long term. At my goal weight 1700 is maintenance so I guess I will slowly work my way towards that.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

eat 50% to 75% of them back to account for inaccuracies with calorie burns.
  • ShirleyVJ
    Options
    Okay, I thank you all for the information . . . I will adjust my goal and get more calories, I think just to keep from disappointing myself as that sends me into a binge. JustMissTracy~thanks for clarifying . . . but seriously it's cool that you have a healthy relationship with food. :smile:
  • ShirleyVJ
    Options
    christinev297, thanks for that, some days I've eating 800 calories with meals and snacks by 2pm!!! Lol.