Food Addiction(s)

Options
So I am addicted to certain foods, sugars, carbs, junk food and fast food in general. I am also a creature of habit. I have yo-yo'd my way up and down the scales for the past 25 years. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can/should attempt to break the addiction cycle. My typical musings go from being gung ho about weight loss to losing water weight initially, then I get scared that I have lost too much weight, then I tell my self it's ok to eat a little of this or a little of that, then I watch myself in horror as I begin to eat and sneak more and more food, then I watch the scale slowly creep back up, then I beat myself up for being an idiot, then I wallow in self-pity, then I flounder around for awhile, then I become gung ho about weight loss again, etc...

How do I break this mental cycle and break the physical hunger cycle of craving sugar?

I am lost! and today, I am also sad about what I perceive is my inability to take control of my own body! HELP!

Replies

• Bethannny
    Bethannny Posts: 66
    Options
    I have the same problem. BUMP!
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Me too!

Bump
  • iknowitsforreal
    Options
    I'm doing the Tony Ferguson Programme, and I've found that my cravings have (almost) completely gone. Not because of the plan - but because I'm taking a Chromium Plus supplement, which is supposed to stop carbohydrate cravings. And it's certainly helped me!

It's something you can look into. :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, there are groups specifically for food addiction that are similar to Alcoholics Anonymous. That said, I am part of a ministry at my church called Celebrate Recovery which is a Christ-based 12 step program that is written to work for any issue we might have. The program is available at 13,000 churches around the world. You don't have to attend any church to attend the program, it's open to anyone. Anyhow, typically food addiction comes from an underlying issue that causes us to eat in an unhealthy pattern. Anyhow, please feel free to add me as I have really come a long way in the past months that I have been working through my eating issues. If you are interested in Celebrate Recovery, you can go to www.celebraterecovery.com and locate a group near you!
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is tough. I'm bumping this to see what people respond with because I have a friend or two that has the same problem.

Personally, I don't crave sugars, I don't crave carbs. I gave up bread. I gave up soda. I gave up chips, pizza, doughnuts, icecream, etc....
    Occasionally, I will have something, on rare occasion. Sure it tastes good, sure its outside of my normal, sure it sends my body into shock from the massive change in diet. But, after I have my episode (only one episode every couple of months, I even mark them on the calendar...I'll be good up until <circle date> here) I'm back on strict diet of low sugar, low carbs, low saturated fats. I don't think its a good idea to deprive yourself of everything, moderation is the key, I pick the time and place; exercising my control. Heh, who knew. I do more than physical exercise :D...

Ironically, when I do go on my binges. I usually bounce back with some additional loss. So perhaps it's not a bad thing occasionally. Just have to be in control.

I wish I could help more than just telling you, that YOU ARE in control.
  • pattyv16
    pattyv16 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the tip..I'm running out the door for some Chromium right now!! All morning I have been fighting the cravings and giving into a few bites of pizza...a few more on cinn/sugar pita chips...and on and on...
  • PHATCHIK
    PHATCHIK Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too am addicted to food. Some people just have addicitive personalities. I am certainly one of those people. You might want to consider "Overeaters Anonymous." They approach food addiction with the same 12 steps as drugs or alcohol. I used to smoke and drink alcohol as well and was addicted to them both. When I stopped smoking and drinking, my addictive personality replaced alcohol and cigarettes with food. In order to stop abusing them, I first had to begin to have a genuine hatred for these things. I had to really connect and understand what they were doing to me, my body and my life. Then I had to decideof I wanted to live or die! Indulging in the things that I was addicted to lead straight to my demise!

Approach this food addiction as a life or death type of situation as well. Get into the mindset that if you continue on with your addictive behavior, you are killing yourself. Then begin to really love and value yourself. Fall in love with yourself. Genuinely desire only what is good for you and your wellbeing. Only do or consume things that are good to you and for you.
    You are killing yourself by putting these unhealthy things into your body. Furthermore, I suggest paying close attention to the thoughts that are going thru your head while you are craving these things. Notice how your mind will play tricks on you by making you feel like you just can't go on without indulging. Then tell yourself that you can go on if you don't indulge and believe it. Abstaining will not kill you.

Another thing that I suggest is before you endulge...play the whole process out in your mind. From beginning all the way through right on into the part where you are hating yourself afterward. Its a process. Don't be so hard on yourself. Definately check out Overeaters Anonymous. I am sure that there are meetings in your area. They are also online. Good Luck and God Bless.