A Newbie Food/Calorie Intake Question

Options
Today is my second day using MFP, and I have my settings to lose 1 pound a week (to start). That gives me a 2,040 calorie goal for the day. I've eaten all my food for the day, and I still have 304 calories left for the day. Does this seem like the right amount? I'm very overweight and need to lose around 125 lbs., but it just seems like I've eaten more today than I would on my usual days before dieting!

Replies

• snakegoddess_3
    Options
    It's right. If you do this thing right you eat all the time. Remember it's a slow process but it's one that works. Just stick with it and you'll see a big change
  • Half_of_Bri
    Half_of_Bri Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Should I shoot to get all my calories in every day or just stay below?
  • bootbuilder
    Options
    It is ok to flex your calories, so that your body does not get accustom to that set amount. Just be sure not to eat junk if you are trying to utilize your calories. Most importantly you don't want to be hungry! Eating some throughout the day is best, that way your body is not starving and using up all the good stores.

Be sure to also be drinking plenty of water and stay away from the caffeine.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    This is a huge topic of debate on MFP, but I believe that if you're not hungry, then don't eat. Unless you're under 1200 calories.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You should shoot to be close to your calories goal each day. There is a calorie deficit already built into what MFP says you can have so if you go too far under you risk causing your body to go into starvation mode and slowing down your metabolism. You should also eat to replace most of the calories you burn through exercise for the same reason. You may think "Then why exercise?" The reasons are that you get other health benefits from exercise and exercise also helps boost your metabolism long term.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Try to hit the number like a bullseye. A little under or a little over is ok. Too far under or over is problematic.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    This is a huge topic of debate on MFP, but I believe that if you're not hungry, then don't eat. Unless you're under 1200 calories.
    Why 1,200 calories? That's such an arbitrary number that assumes everyone's BASE caloric needs are the same.

1,200 calories to someone with low LBM vs. 1,200 calories to someone with high LBM, for example. Is 1,200 my absolute minimum when I have 60+ more pounds of muscle mass than your average female?
  • Half_of_Bri
    Options
    You should shoot to be close to your calories goal each day. There is a calorie deficit already built into what MFP says you can have so if you go too far under you risk causing your body to go into starvation mode and slowing down your metabolism. You should also eat to replace most of the calories you burn through exercise for the same reason. You may think "Then why exercise?" The reasons are that you get other health benefits from exercise and exercise also helps boost your metabolism long term.

So if I'm understanding correctly, when I burn calories exercising, I should try to eat most or all of them, too? Seems like a lot but it makes sense, because it seems like when I exercise I'm starving the rest of the day.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

So if I'm understanding correctly, when I burn calories exercising, I should try to eat most or all of them, too? Seems like a lot but it makes sense, because it seems like when I exercise I'm starving the rest of the day.

Yes you eat your exercise calories back!
  • Half_of_Bri
    Options

Yes you eat your exercise calories back!

Awesome, thanks! :)
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Starvation mode, in terms of temporary fluctuations in dieting, is a myth. Starvation mode in terms of heightened catabolism takes ~2-3 days while FASTING to occur. Starvation mode in terms of decreased metabolism takes weeks, maybe months, of extremely and radically low calorie dieting.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I certainly eat more food than I did before I started here. But the food I choose now is not ice cream and candy all day long. But yeah, wow. I feel like I am eating something every minute of the day!