Opinion on my Insanity Workout journey :)

Options
Hello Guys,

I'm new here and would love to share and hear some great input, advices, story and/or anything about Fitness thing here with you guys.

So i just started the Insanity Workout last week.
It's my 2nd day of week 2.
I'm doing the Insanity deluxe schedule in the morning and doing ab ripper x or arm workout from P90x in the evening.

As for diet thing, i've been drinking herbalife shake + plain water 2 times a day ( for breakfast and for dinner).
Eat scrambled egg whites + mix veggies for lunch.
I never really count the calorie intake for the lunch meal.
And if i feel hungry i'd take an apple or banana for snack.

I lost 1,5 inch on my waist so far.
But haven't seen any significant result in the mirror lol

My goal is losing 20lbs in two months, and having thinner arms since my arms are pretty big and flabby.
I'm 5'6" and 130lbs ish now.

Is it possible for me to reach my goals with the following exercise and diet that i've been doing?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mel2904
    mel2904 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think you need to up your calories...a shake for 2 meals a day isn't enough to sustain your workouts.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yea like mel2904 I feel like your diet is going to be your undoing. Insanity is pretty intense and your body is going to need recovery time, nutrition, and energy. I'm not a fan of herbalife but I used to do Shakeology and now I take another cheaper nutritional shake for lunch. I think you should only do the shake once and add in another meal to keep your energy levels up. Insanity is a great program and it will help you create a deficit but if you're in to much of a deficit you're going to struggle making it through the videos, especially in the second round where it gets much more intense.

20lbs in two months is pretty aggressive. I don't know if you could/should achieve that in a healthy manor. Weight loss is more about a lifestyle change an ongoing journey to health, not a dash to a finish line. Training yourself how to develop healthy eating habits and living a more active lifestyle takes time. Shortcuts like drinking two shakes a day is unsustainable in the long run and you're not teaching yourself how to eat properly. I utilize a shake as well, but it's for convenience because I hate (and really lack the time) to make lunches.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Agree with the previous posters. You are taking your diet to an extreme that you can not or should not sustain (and remain healthy). Insanity is an intense cardio workout, and your body is going to demand extra sustenance.

In the case of an intense workout, food is your friend, not your enemy..........just make it good food, not junk, and you'll be just fine. 20 pounds in 2 months is fairly intense too.......that equals out to roughly 2.5 pounds lost per week, which again, might not be sustainable.

My fear is that you might be successful in losing what you want, only to gain it back and more once you've abandoned this regiment.
  • purpleliciousss
    purpleliciousss Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hey guys thank you for your responses and advices.
    Yes i think you guys are right about me being in a starvation mode, i feel really hungry and weak all the time.
    And i feel like i don't really have much energy to do the whole workout thing.

So after reading your advices, i decided to change my eating habit with cooking 3 real food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm pretty terrible on preparing and cooking myself, especially if i have to cook different dishes each days.
    So i found a blog that has a simple meal plan to follow.This is the blog http://sweetlifefitness.net/meal-prep-for-21-day-fix/

The meal plan is just like this (Quoted from the Blog) :

- Breakfast -

4 Egg Whites / 1 Whole Egg scrambled with 1 cup mix of spinach and mushrooms (from time to time I substitute the spinach with chopped green peppers).
    1 slice organic turkey bacon (sometimes)

- AM Snack -

2/3 Cup of whole rolled oats Oatmeal with a sprinkle of natural cinnamon
    1 cup of organic cherry tomatoes

- Lunch -

4 oz grilled chicken
    2/3 cup brown rice (organic)

- PM Snack -

1 cup cauliflower
    1 cup broccoli
    1 whole organic Apple

Dinner

4 oz grilled chicken (or sometimes lean turkey)
    brown rice or sweet potato
    small salad (sometimes – no iceberg lettuce!! Only spinach)

For the workout thing, i stopped the extra workout of P90x arms and shoulder / ab ripper x. And just focusing myself to Insanity alone.
    The Goal is 10lbs in two months instead.

How about that guys?
    Thanks again!
  • jeremywm1977
    Options
    Your meals look far better than the original liquid breakfast/dinner you had, and your goal seems far more attainable and sustainable. I think you'll find you'll enjoy this and can keep it going far longer with more energy.
  • purpleliciousss
    purpleliciousss Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your meals look far better than the original liquid breakfast/dinner you had, and your goal seems far more attainable and sustainable. I think you'll find you'll enjoy this and can keep it going far longer with more energy.

Thank you!
    I also just switched my workout to Insanity max 30 .
    Do you think that it's safe to do two cardio workouts at the same day?
    Maybe something like running?
  • jeremywm1977
    Options

Thank you!
    I also just switched my workout to Insanity max 30 .
    Do you think that it's safe to do two cardio workouts at the same day?
    Maybe something like running?

Is it safe, sure.......but like 138shades stated, listen to your body.
    I remember trying to do double sets of Focus 25, a far less intense alternative to Insanity MAX: 30. A few minutes into the second set, I could feel my body getting exhausted and I wasn't able to push as hard to the point that I was just going through the motions.

When I recognized this, I realized that the second workout was a waste and did away with double sets altogether.
    If you think your body can handle it, and can still go with it with enough intensity to make it worth your while, then go for it (and having done Insanity MAX myself.....I wish you the best of luck, and believe you're crazy at the same time).
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yea T25 itself called for a double Friday or you could move the workout to Sat. I see no harm in doing 2 videos if you have the stamina for it. As long as you aren't holding back in the first video because mentally you are worried that you have another video to do. That would undermine the concept of Max30 which is to go hard and fast and all out to hit your max.
  • jeremywm1977
    Options
    Yea T25 itself called for a double Friday or you could move the workout to Sat. I see no harm in doing 2 videos if you have the stamina for it. As long as you aren't holding back in the first video because mentally you are worried that you have another video to do. That would undermine the concept of Max30 which is to go hard and fast and all out to hit your max.

Agreed.......I would find it increasingly difficult to hit any kind of "MAX" in the second video of a back-to-back Insanity MAX session.