Take out ideas?

Options
MrsFarrow
MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
So I know it's a terrible idea, but when ordering out, how do you guys choose healthy? And I don't want the "I don't eat out!" answer!!

Replies

• penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I use usually go for salads!
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you go to Panda Express you can get a "Panda Bowl" with Steamed veggies and String Bean Chicken. OR I love Samurai Sams and get a Teriyaki bowl, brown rice, white meat for 480 cals (very very very filling, I can never finish the whole bowl). :)
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    Well, if it's Chinese food, I get a couple cups of white rice, sauteed string beans, broiled salmon, chicken and broccoli with the gravy drained out, spinach with cheese, and ONE crab rangoon (because I love the fatty little buggers).

If it's pizza... I just call it a lost day.
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    I try to look at the nutrition facts ahead of time, then I know what to order... and don't have "calorie" shock later when entering it in :) and a lot of the times salads have more calories/fat than a burger...be careful!
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I try to look up the nutrition information for a restaurant before we go and pick what I will order based on that. If they don't offer that information, I just do the best I can - salads are good, or eat only half of what they bring me.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Nothing fried. Not too much sauce or marinades. Plain grilled chicken works just fine ;)
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Depends what your doing. if I'm having casual, a burger minus the bun (not because i'm watching carbs but because there are a ton of calories in buns and they are usually white bread), salad or baked potato dry in place of fries. Or I'll go out for sushi....
    The problem is no matter hpw healthy you think you are being, its usually loaded with hidden sugars and sodium.

Truthfully though, usually when I know I am eating out, I just try to be careful the rest of the day and get more out of my workout. Its hard to be good when your out.
  • MeaggyTheGreaty
    MeaggyTheGreaty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If it's a chain I go on their website beforehand to see what's somewhat healthy there. If it's the chinese restaurant down the block I order something like kung pao chicken and ask for all white meat. I also skip the chowmein or fried rice. I know that isn't perfect but it happens sometimes.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Depends really on what your ordering. Pizza I would go light on the sauce. salads are good, try to pick something healthy but also tasty. you only live once.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Here are some things that come to mind.

I always plan ahead when I know I will be eating out. I look up nutritional information online.
    Watch out for that sodium when eating out. It can be a killer.
    Always drink lots of water with your meal. Ordering water cuts calories considerably.
    You can usually special order things like getting salads or veggies instead of fries/chips.
    Get the dressing on the side and only use half of it. Make healthy dressing choices.
    If I get a sandwich I'll take the top part of the bread/bun off.
    Sometimes I will only eat half the portion since portion sizes tend to be large when eating out.
    Say no to the bacon cheeseburger. Instead, add extra lettuce, pickles, onions, tomatoes, etc!
    SAY NO TO THE BUFFET!
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    Honestly? Any plain meat like grilled chicken with a side of vegetables, or a salad minus all the fatty fixings with dressing on the side or steak with steamed veggies...

Ordering out is harder than it was before because now (at least for me) every calorie counts for me to get to my goal. A salad that I thought was healthy before isnt...you have to figure out how everything is cooked and what it's cooked with...is it fried? grilled? sauteed? what kind of sauce is there? dressings?

I'm sure you get the gist:)

God bless!
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I try to look at the nutrition facts ahead of time, then I know what to order... and don't have "calorie" shock later when entering it in :) and a lot of the times salads have more calories/fat than a burger...be careful!

Couldnt agree more I do the same thing now after two too many '"calorie' shockers"
  • fockstarr7783
    Options
    I always choose anything with turkey or chicken (grilled, never fried), steamed veggies, whole grain options like brown rice or wheat pasta if they offer the option. It's always planning ahead of time where your going to go and then seeing if they have an online menu so you can plan what your going to order before you get there and avoiding the temptation to revert back to your favorites. I go to Subway a lot and order a 6 in. Tuna or Roasted Chicken Breast and load it with spinach, tomatoes, lots of green peppers and onions, cucumbers and then just a little strip of Lite Mayo and some mustard. Its just planning ahead that will make it easier. A lot of people don't consider the nutritional benefits of foods before calories. Yes, calories are important to keep track of, but so is important vitamins, minerals and proteins and good fats like poly and monounsaturated fats which have a significant benefit to lowering cholesterol.:smile:
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I just had Mama Fu's steamed veggie bowl with chicken and brown rice (480 cal). This dish was very tasty!!! This was the first time I had brown rice and I loved it!! Ok I admit, this was also the first time that I had veggies that weren't loaded with French dressing too. It was really good and since kids eat free on Tuesdays, I think I might have to make this place a Tuesday ritual!! :happy:
  • Deeds1024
    Deeds1024 Posts: 10
    Options
    My rule of 3: I look at the menu and mentally remove 3 things from each entree that looks promising. For example on salads: no bacon, cheese or croutons. Or no egg yolk, candied nuts, or heavy salad dressing. For burgers I say no bun, cheese or mayo. Mexican: no cheese, refried beans or rice. You get the point...Then I pick the most delish meal that is left after I take off the worst 3 ingredients.
    Don't be embarrassed, your friends and family will get used to it and will actually be shocked if you DON'T ask the server to omit something from the entree.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I just had Mama Fu's steamed veggie bowl with chicken and brown rice (480 cal). This dish was very tasty!!! This was the first time I had brown rice and I loved it!! Ok I admit, this was also the first time that I had veggies that weren't loaded with French dressing too. It was really good and since kids eat free on Tuesdays, I think I might have to make this place a Tuesday ritual!! :happy:

Where do you get Mama Fu's steamed veggie bowl?

Oh, I see its a Mama Fu's restaurant.................we donn't have one around here.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Go for salads but make sure the salads arent loaded with a bunch of crap.. in alot of the restaurants the salads have way more calories than u would think..
    if ur going chinesse.. get brown rice with steamed veggies/chicken and they will give u sause on the side.. most take out menus have a diet section..
    pizza alot of placed offer whole wheat pizza now.. and order it with lots of veggies... but not fried veggies such a eggplant and such..
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Go for salads but make sure the salads arent loaded with a bunch of crap.. in alot of the restaurants the salads have way more calories than u would think..
    if ur going chinesse.. get brown rice with steamed veggies/chicken and they will give u sause on the side.. most take out menus have a diet section..
    pizza alot of placed offer whole wheat pizza now.. and order it with lots of veggies... but not fried veggies such a eggplant and such..
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    What I discovered and a well kept secret is CHILI! :bigsmile:

Thinking Wendy's....usually high in protein and fiber.
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    Chipotle Veggie Burrito Bowl with Rice,Fajitas, Black Beans, Tomato Salsa and Lettuce. I get the guac on the side and just take a tbsp. This is close to 300 calories.

Another is Panera Bread Strawberry Salad with Dressing on the side... 280 calories!!!

Those are my addictions.
    Good luck!