Broken Bones and Calorie Deficit

Options
2»

Replies

• thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    3 years ago i had a spinal fusion, my weight was 248. During the early stages of healing, I didn't eat as much as normal, but did use my walker around our house, working up to 1 mile walks around the furniture, through the kitchen, back to the bedrooms, etc. I very quickly lost 20 lbs and it was the beginning of my life changes. Today, I'm at 174 and while I'm still working at it, I'm much more active and healthy.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I've been fastening my bra around my waist and then wriggling it in to place. Just a tip. Also the sling can be used to carry stuff. I have a lot of meetings and need my left hand for my coffee cup. :)

Any suggestions for cleaning the exposed fingers on your right hand? I tried straight alcohol, but didn't care for it. Baby wipes?
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I definitely would eat more when healing. I had surgery during the earlier part of my weight loss and it took a long time to heal until I decided to eat more, then it suddenly healed up quite nicely. I had a weeping wound for almost 11 weeks.
  • Brokenankle2016
    Brokenankle2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hope you heal quick and I think maintenance or above is a good idea with a focus on protein and vitamin and mineral intake
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Sorry that happened to you, Annie_01. Your plan sounds solid. Hope you heal fast.

Thank you.

I have stocked my frig with greek yogurt and picked up a multi-vitamin.

It has certainly made me more aware of eating at too large of a deficit for our bodies to heal itself even with just those minor every day injuries.

Hi Annie,
    a few months later was wondering how you did? I hope your wrist is better and how did your weight loss/maintenance plan work out? Am asking because broke my ankle almost 2 weeks ago and am in a cast for a little more than 4 weeks more. I have also just lost a good amount of weight and don't want to put it on. Any words of encouragement or advice would be great. I appreciated everyone's posts!!!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt it's 6000. The body does need extra calls when repairing, but not 6000. Also, the term "use it, or you lose it" definitely applies in terms of muscle loss. You may lose weight, but it's gonna be a mix of fat, muscle, and water depending on how much the injury affects you.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hope you heal quick and I think maintenance or above is a good idea with a focus on protein and vitamin and mineral intake
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Sorry that happened to you, Annie_01. Your plan sounds solid. Hope you heal fast.

Thank you.

I have stocked my frig with greek yogurt and picked up a multi-vitamin.

It has certainly made me more aware of eating at too large of a deficit for our bodies to heal itself even with just those minor every day injuries.

Hi Annie,
    a few months later was wondering how you did? I hope your wrist is better and how did your weight loss/maintenance plan work out? Am asking because broke my ankle almost 2 weeks ago and am in a cast for a little more than 4 weeks more. I have also just lost a good amount of weight and don't want to put it on. Any words of encouragement or advice would be great. I appreciated everyone's posts!!!

Thank you for asking.

I lost about 10lbs in two weeks. Honestly it took it's toll on me. While it looked good on the scale it didn't feel so good on my body. I am old...63...so that probably had a role in my recovery.

My plan went out the window. In my case at the same time that I broke my arm/required surgery the doctor put me on a low sodium diet which required basically cooking everything that I eat. Since I couldn't use my hand it put a LOT of restrictions on my cooking. It was hard to eat enough.

About the time my arm healed enough to start using it again I came down with the flu/some type of crud. Since I was so rundown from my arm it has taken most of the winter to recover. During this time my main goal has just been to maintain.

That would be my advice...just try to maintain your current loss.
  • vivrevotrevie
    vivrevotrevie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In July I blew out my knee in July, and had a similar situation. Something I found challenging was really monitoring my weight loss at all. I ended up having to have reconstructive surgery and as a result, lost a significant amount of muscle because I was forced to be pretty immobile for quite some time. I agree with those who say you should eat to help refuel the healing process. It has been about 6 months since my injury and a little over 3 since my surgery and for me, my goal was to avoid gaining weight. Now that I am able to get back into working out a little more (still quite limited in some aspects), I am focusing more on the weight loss.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ask your doctor for a DEXA bone density scan for osteoporosis. Just to make sure. At 63, you need to know.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    It's an old zombie thread, but I thought I'd dig it out. My normal maintenance calories are around 1750kcal without exercise. Since a complex proximal humerus fracture about 4 weeks ago I eat about 500 calories extra per day, and still lose weight slowly. That's about 1/3 extra. Never thought it'd be that massive.

I also sleep an awful lot. Every time the painkillers stop working (most don't work, and the ones that do only last just above 3hrs) I get terribly tired and fall asleep.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    It's an old zombie thread, but I thought I'd dig it out. My normal maintenance calories are around 1750kcal without exercise. Since a complex proximal humerus fracture about 4 weeks ago I eat about 500 calories extra per day, and still lose weight slowly. That's about 1/3 extra. Never thought it'd be that massive.

I also sleep an awful lot. Every time the painkillers stop working (most don't work, and the ones that do only last just above 3hrs) I get terribly tired and fall asleep.

I had an open abdominal hysterectomy 8 weeks ago and my appetite has been massive. The holidays didn't help, either, and I've gained weight, but am hopefully back on track with the new year.

My energy levels are slowly coming back. I don't feel tired - until I suddenly hit a wall. I'm down to 0-1 naps per day. I'm having a lot of lower back pain, which I assume is from a weak core. I lie on a hot pad at least twice per day. I discontinued the opioid some time ago and OTC meds don't really seem to help, but I do take ibuprofen occasionally.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,621 Member
    Options
    Both of you two: healing thoughts for 2023❣️😘
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks a lot @PAV8888, and also sending you healing thoughts @kshama2001 I can't imagine an open abdominal surgery! Yikes! When I lost my gallbladder I was very fit within a short time again. Ok, walking to the supermarket didn't really work when I found out all food I'd stocked up on looked yucky, and so I carefully rolled to it on inline skates. :#
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I had an open abdominal hysterectomy 8 weeks ago and my appetite has been massive. The holidays didn't help, either, and I've gained weight, but am hopefully back on track with the new year.

My energy levels are slowly coming back. I don't feel tired - until I suddenly hit a wall. I'm down to 0-1 naps per day. I'm having a lot of lower back pain, which I assume is from a weak core. I lie on a hot pad at least twice per day. I discontinued the opioid some time ago and OTC meds don't really seem to help, but I do take ibuprofen occasionally.
    @yirara if you can arrange some sports physio when you are given the all clear, I would recommend it. I had open abdominal surgery eight years ago, and the only muscle not cut through on one side was the QL. Unfortunately I get pain now as that muscle gets overworked (being a competitive weightlifter possibly doesn’t help 🤣), and the exercises prescribed by my sports physio have been a complete life saver. After a bad bout when my whole back went into spasm, I do my exercises every day. It’s well worth doing, and will help your core to recover fully and get strong again.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,621 Member
    Options
    My core probably needs it much more than @kshama2001's given her yoga background... no ?!?!?!?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

@yirara if you can arrange some sports physio when you are given the all clear, I would recommend it. I had open abdominal surgery eight years ago, and the only muscle not cut through on one side was the QL. Unfortunately I get pain now as that muscle gets overworked (being a competitive weightlifter possibly doesn’t help 🤣), and the exercises prescribed by my sports physio have been a complete life saver. After a bad bout when my whole back went into spasm, I do my exercises every day. It’s well worth doing, and will help your core to recover fully and get strong again.
    @claireychn074 I think you meant to send this to me, thanks! I know you're right, but at the moment I'm 45 minutes away from the VA facility where I can get PT and feel overwhelmed at the prospect of driving back and forth. I will be moving, and am planning on being within 30 minutes of the VA so this will be less of a barrier. I could also use PT for my wrist and knee :disappointed:

In our pre-op visit, my surgeon said she would not cut through abdominal muscles but rather push them aside. I did a lot of intentional visualizing pre surgery, and while I was at it also unintentionally visualized the pushing aside often (without it actually being a visualization GOAL.)
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    My core probably needs it much more than @kshama2001's given her yoga background... no ?!?!?!?

:lol: unfortunately it's been more gentle/moderate yoga since I stopped teaching.

Checkout the core strength on Briohny though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOV8mQ1PyhU
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

Oh crumbs, sorry for tagging the wrong person 😳
  • yirara
    Options
    No probs
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I broke my wrist on Friday and it has limited my activity. My first thought was to lower my activity level to sedentary in order to remain at a 1lb deficit. I planned on upping calcium and protein to assist in healing. I have been really tired but I related that to a lack of appetite...activity...pain medication...sore ribs.

I did some research this morning to see how being in a calorie deficit affected healing.

It seems as if the healing of broken bones can raise your BMR up 6000 calories a day if you suffer from multiple breaks. I expected it to be higher but not by that much.

http://www.betterbones.com/bonefracture/speedhealing.pdf

Provide the body with adequate energy. Fracture healing requires more energy than you might expect. Thus, it’s appropriate to increase your caloric intake to promote healing. In traumatic fractures of the long bones, for example, there is an immediate increase in metabolic demands that can translate into a caloric demand three times that of normal. While a normally active adult may require 2,500 calories a day, a bedridden, injured patient with multiple fractures may need 6,000 calories per day!2 If this demand is not met, the healing process is compromised.

I doubt if I would burn anywhere near that amount so I decided to start out at maintenance/sedentary until I see the orthopedic surgeon next week.

I was curious what others have done about calorie deficit after experiencing a severe injury.
    I broke my wrist on Friday and it has limited my activity. My first thought was to lower my activity level to sedentary in order to remain at a 1lb deficit. I planned on upping calcium and protein to assist in healing. I have been really tired but I related that to a lack of appetite...activity...pain medication...sore ribs.

I did some research this morning to see how being in a calorie deficit affected healing.

It seems as if the healing of broken bones can raise your BMR up 6000 calories a day if you suffer from multiple breaks. I expected it to be higher but not by that much.

http://www.betterbones.com/bonefracture/speedhealing.pdf

Provide the body with adequate energy. Fracture healing requires more energy than you might expect. Thus, it’s appropriate to increase your caloric intake to promote healing. In traumatic fractures of the long bones, for example, there is an immediate increase in metabolic demands that can translate into a caloric demand three times that of normal. While a normally active adult may require 2,500 calories a day, a bedridden, injured patient with multiple fractures may need 6,000 calories per day!2 If this demand is not met, the healing process is compromised.

I doubt if I would burn anywhere near that amount so I decided to start out at maintenance/sedentary until I see the orthopedic surgeon next week.

I was curious what others have done about calorie deficit after experiencing a severe injury.

I would not even think of being in a deficit while trying to heal an injury. Maintenance or a slight surplus with healthy food.

I had a knee replacement last year which is by far the biggest physical trauma that I’ve ever experienced except for a motorcycle accident in my 20’s. It was a 6 week journey of pain and physical therapy. I was at Maintenance the whole time and my weight stayed about the same with protein being the priority.

Almost 3x maintenance when healing is laughable. 6,000 calories of healthy food would be incredibly difficult to wolf down, lol.

• yirara
    Options
    Almost 3x maintenance when healing is laughable. 6,000 calories of healthy food would be incredibly difficult to wolf down, lol.

Yeah, I think so. Been tracking for ages and maintaining at 1750ish when sedentary and no exercise. My guess is that my complex fracture needs about 600 calories extra, which is still massive. My guess is it's a combination of movements being a lot more difficult/exhausting, sleeping poorly and thus resting less, fidgeting more (part of physio) plus the healing.