Yoga....

Options
So I just recently started to get back into yoga and I absolutely love it!! It makes me feel so great after.

But the thing is is that it doesn't burn many calories. 180-200 at most. this is dissapointing to me... all of the people I know swear by yoga and are rail thin... but I have a ways to go. Just wondering If I should be doing cardio and weight lifting in addition??

Some help would be appriciated!! Thanks =)

Replies

• iamvillanueva
    Options
    I feel the same way! I love yoga, but it's not a quick calorie burner. I always jog on the treadmill for about 30 minutes before my yoga class so I feel like I'm taking advantage of my workout time. You could try hot yoga. I've never done it, but it must burn more calories. Namaste
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Yoga is relaxing and may not burn many calories but does have a lot of benefit in fitness and weight loss without the calorie burn. It could be that doing yoga will keep you relaxed and cut back on stress eating etc. It improves flexibility which will improve range of motion which in turn makes your workout more effective.

It might not burn many calories but thats not the only factor that goes into weight loss and fitness. If you enjoy it you should do it! Not to mention the times I have done yoga I have thought of it more as a strength class and therefore builds muscle. If you are concerned about burning more calories do yoga on your rest days.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Love yoga too! Agree w/PP that the benefits are MANY and if you like it, then do it!!

But, I burned nearly 300 calories doing yoga yesterday (yes, I have a HRM). I think it probably depends on what practice you're doing.
  • LaurieBLouise
    LaurieBLouise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge hot yoga fan. Hot yoga incorporates vinyasa (flowing) yoga along with bikram yoga (muscle building, power yoga). You are in a 98 degree room so it is initially uncomfortable, but eventually you focus so much on your breathing and form you forget about the heat. A standard hot yoga class (depending on your height and weight) could burn anywhere from 300-500 calories. Hot yoga is always in a dedicated yoga studio, as I've never seen any classes that could accommodate that heat in a gym.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I agree - I don't do it for the calories but as a "value added" exercise :smile:
  • ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love Yoga but use is mostly for increasing my flexibiltiy and relaxing. I'd suggest doing some cardio and weights to add to the calorie burn and help you build the muscles you need to keep the weight off.

You might also try Pilates. I just started a class and found it to be more intense then Yoga but just as enjoyable. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    I love Yoga, as you said not a big burner, I hit a little over 300. In addition I do a weight lifting class, a dance class and spin classes.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I too am loving the yoga. .. Now to switch it up. .. . You could try "Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown" I did that one with the HRM It will tear up the calories. .. She combines cardio with yoga. .. . It is like triple the burn that you get vs what the data base here gives for regular yoga. just a thought.:bigsmile:
  • aprili83
    aprili83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! I am going to continue to do yoga on a weekly basis just for the relaxation factor... I am a nurse so I have a very stressful job!! I am a member at golds gym and have a hard time motivating myself to get on a tredmill or lift weights but I loe the classes!! Sometimes I will do Zumba and then do yoga right after. I really want to try hot yoga... I just have to get out there and find a place that has it! Any suggestions from anyone In the minneapolis area?? Been thinking about core power yoga but it is pretty spendy....
  • kids06
    kids06 Posts: 1
    Options
    i use biggest loser yoga my waist went down 7 inches in less than 2 months you use water ball and weights over 6 weeks i have always had a stomach now getting six pack you can get at amazon .com for around 8 dollars it really works and bob harper kicks my butt in this workout also use biggest loser boot camp good luck
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't burn much. I do some type of cardio every day. Usually, it's just walking the dogs. But I walk for an hour. I have a treadmill in the basement for harder cardio workouts, but at the moment, it's in disaray..waterheater broke..flooded everything. Still in clean up stages. I'm trying to get up the umph to try the zumba class at the gym i go to. But..the yoga builds strength, builds muscle, muscle burns fat. Bonus!
    Good Luck!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My sister lives in the Minneapolis area and there is hot yoga at the studio she goes to. I can see if I can find the name of the studio for you.
  • aprili83
    aprili83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That Would be great!! Thank you!
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I practice 5-6 times a week in a studio and consistently burn between 400 - 600 calories (using a HRM). The benefits are countless as others have mentioned, but don't count out it's pure cardio benefits.

I doubt do it home videos nor health club recreational classes will provide the burn you'd like for weight management but in a bikram, vinyasa or power class you will certainly burn a reasonable amount of calories.

Try it for yourself in a formal studio. There's a reason why the majority of full time yogi's are in great shape.
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been doing hot yoga and I absolutely love it! Yes, the heat is intense and only in the first class that I took, I felt a slight headache (I didn't drink enough water before, I didn't know I needed to but you do!) Now I have no problems (other than trying to hold positions ...lol) You will sweat ALOT! This is a website that will tell you how much calories you can burn-depending on your weight and class time. I did 1300+ in a 90 min class. Some studios offer a free class or at least half price to "try" it. You do feel great afterwards. Just switch it up with running or other stuff and have fun!
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options