Morning workout

Options
I normally workout after work but my schedule changed yesterday. I work 830 - 5 and commute 1 hour each way. Going to the gym after work is not possible because o now need to devote the 3 hours I have to homework. I would like to start going to the gym before work. I need some tips because I have never worked out in the am. My biggest challenge is going to be eating before the gym. I take thyroid meds and have to wait an hour before I can eat. So I am not sure if u should go on an empty stomach or try to get up early to meds.

Replies

• dsjnix
    dsjnix Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can go before you eat. I am on thyroid meds and have to wait also. I just after the workout.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning and do not eat beforehand. As long as I ate normally the day before (i.e., didn't eat an exceptionally small amount of food) I am fine. Are you allowed to drink water after having your meds? If so, I think you'll be okay.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i don't eat before i go on runs, i would imagine you can workout prior to eating
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You can workout prior to eating (I haven't eaten before working out in years). Depending on your goals, ingesting some liquid BCAAs before exercising might be preferable...again, this depends on your goals but will help prevent catabolism.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I get up at 7.20 (ish), do a 30 minute HIIT workout, walk to work then eat my breakfast at work at about 09:30 (ish). As @jemhh said, as long as you didn't eat light the day before you should be fine. Though listen to your body, it doesn't work for everyone. Also, from experience it is so easy to talk yourself into staying in bed that bit longer so you have to be motivated, you will feel so much better for just getting up and going for it! I remember when I told my husband and my mum that I was going to start working out in the morning they both laughed and said it wouldn't happen...... it's been over a year now and the laughter stopped but I can still hear it and, man, has it kept me motivated!

Good luck!